• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Official MMA Discussion

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yeah, boxers have to stand up and hit each other though, and not grapple. If a huge dude is going to hit you, you don't want to stand there and try to dodge or block, that's a good way to get killed.

Some times the best way to avoid those powerful punches is to be stuck on the person like glue because in that case they just can't generate nearly as much power as a fully extending stand up punch. It'll still hurt but stand up punching tries to use the whole body and put the force into the end of the fist, and it just doesn't work as well if they are prevented from utilizing all those muscles.

Edit: on that note this is why boxers some times 'hug' or clinch each other in the middle of a fight because it gives them a relief from being hit momentarily but since it isn't wrestling, the ref will usually separate them to a point.

I see.

Scheherezade

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Yeah, boxers have to stand up and hit each other though, and not grapple. If a huge dude is going to hit you, you don't want to stand there and try to dodge or block, that's a good way to get killed.

Some times the best way to avoid those powerful punches is to be stuck on the person like glue because in that case they just can't generate nearly as much power as a fully extending stand up punch. It'll still hurt but stand up punching tries to use the whole body and put the force into the end of the fist, and it just doesn't work as well if they are prevented from utilizing all those muscles.

Edit: on that note this is why boxers some times 'hug' or clinch each other in the middle of a fight because it gives them a relief from being hit momentarily but since it isn't wrestling, the ref will usually separate them to a point.

so the first paragraph is about boxing, the second about MMA and the last about boxing again,i just want to make sure i understand,
also in muay thai for example you can strike really hard with your elbow if standing close to your opponent

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
so the first paragraph is about boxing, the second about MMA and the last about boxing again,i just want to make sure i understand,
also in muay thai for example you can strike really hard with your elbow if standing close to your opponent

How did you even find this thread, and why are you quoting me from almost a year ago? I'm really not interested anymore by now.

jixmixfix

Permabanned

Birger King ad
Translation:
After my last fight, I decided to invite my opponent to a barbecue.
And since I think he's a bit sad, I decided to reinforce the invitation.
Here are two ''bk picanha'' coupons. That's barbecue with real sirloin.
You're invited to go to any Burger King in Brazil to taste this delight.
Now you can say you've won something out of me!

I'm sure the last thing Anderson does is incorporate burger king in his diet.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Watching UFC right now. Still don't quite understand why guys like beating up on each other so much.

E

Epiphany

I don't think that's it at all.

I think that has a lot to do with it. Not MMA specifically, but aggression in general. There are plenty of women who think it's sexy to watch guys try to physically dominate each other. If women, as a whole, were unanimously turned off by aggression in men, I think you would see a lot fewer men showing aggression in its various forms.

Btw...why are you watching UFC? :rly???:

I recall you starting a thread about boxing once, in which you expressed your interest in the sport. Why do you think you enjoy watching men fight?

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think that has a lot to do with it. Not MMA specifically, but aggression in general. There are plenty of women who think it's sexy to watch guys trying to physically dominate each other. If women, as a whole, were unanimously turned off by aggression in men, I think you would see a lot fewer men showing aggression in its various forms.

Btw...why are you watching UFC? :rly???:

I recall you starting a thread about boxing once too, in which you expressed your interest in the sport. Why do you think you enjoy watching men fight?

This thread and my question was not about me or what women like. I'd rather not derail it. I think men fight each other for reasons other than what women like and I'd like to know why they do/enjoy this.

Perhaps I'm not meant to understand.

E

Epiphany

This thread and my question was not about me or what women like. I'd rather not derail it. I think men fight each other for reasons other than what women like and I'd like to know why they do/enjoy this.

I think they are interrelated. If you ask women why they wear makeup, accentuate their figures and put so much time into dressing up, they might say they do it just for themselves or to impress other women, but the truth is, they're mostly trying to get sexual attention/admiration from men. They want to be perceived as sexy.

With fighting "sports," there is the element of competition that pertains to other sports, but it goes beyond that. I don't think you can separate it from cultural ideals of masculinity and machismo, which ties into sexuality and what women find attractive.

When was the last time women fawned over guys competing in a cooking contest or something non-aggressive? Men are taught to "man up" from an early age and that factors into their sense of identity and role in society, as well as their choice of interests.

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I think you're on to something. People who don't understand cars regularly dismiss car enthusiasts as doing it to impress women. That's true now and then, but a lot of guys who devote much of their time/money to cars do it in spite of what their significant others want. The reason I showed you that video of Rush performing "Red Barchetta" is because does a good job of explaining why some peope are passionate about cars; adventure, freedom, individuality, history, all that stuff.

In addition to loving cars I also want to work on and operate steam locomotives. I have a hard time imagining someone saying I feel that way because I think it will attract girls. :unsure:

:shrug:

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think you're on to something. People who don't understand cars regularly dismiss car enthusiasts as doing it to impress women. That's true now and then, but a lot of guys who devote much of their time/money to cars do it in spite of what their significant others want. The reason I showed you that video of Rush performing "Red Barchetta" is because does a good job of explaining why some peope are passionate about cars; adventure, freedom, individuality, history, all that stuff.

In addition to loving cars I also want to work on and operate steam locomotives. I have a hard time imagining someone saying I feel that way because I think it will attract girls. :unsure:

Yes. This is what I mean. Thank you.

I think guys who do boxing or MMA could answer this best.

E

Epiphany

I wouldn't put cars and fighting sports in the same category. Sure, they are both interests that are often associated with masculinity. But fighting is about dominance and machismo, which are encouraged by women's sexuality. There's no getting around that.

Honor

girl with a pretty smile
MBTI Type
?
Instinctual Variant
so
I think they are interrelated. If you ask women why they wear makeup, accentuate their figures and put so much time into dressing up, they might say they do it just for themselves or to impress other women, but the truth is, they're mostly trying to get sexual attention/admiration from men. They want to be perceived as sexy.
To be honest, there's definitely truth to this. A lot of women say they dress up for other women, but I sure don't, and I don't get why any woman would. Why compete with other women and open the door to the insane cattiness that would ensue?

I think aggressiveness is attractive, but I hate real physical fighting and don't think its sexy at all. Unless I subconsciously think it's sexy.

But to answer your question, Giggly, I always thought men were aggressive because they have higher levels of testosterone, are more prone to physical aggression, and might need a release for that kind of energy.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
[MENTION=13260]Rasofy[/MENTION]

As I said one year ago: Chris Weidman, your next UFC Middleweight Champion.

silva4ojstq.gif

Last edited:

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
*bump*

So, that makes it 5.5 UFC belts for Americans, 1.5 for Brazilians, and 1 for Canada.

:D