• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Official MMA Discussion

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
when facing multiple enemies your obviously no going to want to get on the ground, that would only make you vulnerable.

and the weapon is only as good as the person using it, any type of stand-up would be very effective if used properly in a while facing multiple enemies, or even just one. Keep your distance and pick your shots, preferably striking after they make a move. Defence is really important. If you go in swinging chances are you are leaving yourself open

A lot of the stand-up fighting got short changed after MMA fame it seems (especially at the beginning with little rules to limit groundfighting...I remember Royce Gracie fights it was like watching a spider jump on its prey. Effective but relatively boring to watch.

I speculate that Japanese Jujitsu would be effective yet it seems pretty hard/time consuming even redundant to get close to mater/master. For the quickest training Jeet Kun Do, Muay Thai or if small arms were allowed Kali would be effective under those conditions (I dont know enough about the Hawaiian fighting arts/Kimbo(sp) to effectively speculate on it reliablity under those conditions)

Oom

Your time is gonna come.
MBTI Type
IsfP
Enneagram
5w4
A lot of the stand-up fighting got short changed after MMA fame it seems (especially at the beginning with little rules to limit groundfighting...I remember Royce Gracie fights it was like watching a spider jump on its prey. Effective but relatively boring to watch.

I speculate that Japanese Jujitsu would be effective yet it seems pretty hard/time consuming even redundant to get close to mater/master. For the quickest training Jeet Kun Do, Muay Thai or if small arms were allowed Kali would be effective under those conditions (I dont know enough about the Hawaiian fighting arts/Kimbo(sp) to effectively speculate on it reliablity under those conditions)

That would be cool if Jeet Kun Do were anything more than a philosophy.

But it's not, and that makes it greater than a style.

KDude

For a specific martial art meant to fight multiple opponents, there's Krav Maga. It's not very popular, but everyone's probably seen it, since that's what they used to choreograph Christian Bale in the Batman flicks. There are a lot of multidirectional attacks - fists one way, legs out the other, etc..

And like the above dude said, JKD is a philosophy, and thence, leaves you open to study anything.

Last but not least, the good thing is is that most people on the street, in some bar or whatnot, can't fight and live out their lives using scare tactics. Real fighters tend to have a good head on their shoulders, and don't engage in this stuff. OTOH, just run if they all have weapons. :)

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP
You find out what works for you. Some people aren't optimally equipped to perform high kicks, some people have poor upper body strength, others have problems that prevent extreme cardiovascular conditioning. Like JKD says, 'take what works for you, and throw out the rest.'

Not everyone wants to be able to do a flying roundhouse kick, 8 feet in the air...:rolli:

Some of us just prefer to time it so we punch dumbass in the groin as he sails by, or just move out of the way.

Amphion

MBTI Type
ENTP
That would be cool if Jeet Kun Do were anything more than a philosophy.

But it's not, and that makes it greater than a style.

Jun Fan Gung Fu is the core of JKD, but I agree, the ultimate meaning of Jeet Kune Do is to liberate yourself from all forms.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
The MMA Thread

It had to be done.

[MENTION=13260]Rasofy[/MENTION] [MENTION=6724]DiscoBiscuit[/MENTION]

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Disco does.

Don't think Rasofy does.

I'm about one step away from starting training BJJ.

But, like an NFL thread, or an MLB thread, or an NBA thread, this is about spectatorship, not participation.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I did catch a match between that one huge guy and that other huge guy.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Spectator sports are pointless, unless used to help one learn. Much more worthwhile to be doing it myself.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Spectator sports are pointless, unless used to help one learn. Much more worthwhile to be doing it myself.
It gets pretty exciting once you place a bet. Anderson Silva made me win about $150.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It gets pretty exciting once you place a bet. Anderson Silva made me win about $150.
That's just wasting my money along with my time.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That's just wasting my money along with my time.
Not necessarily. The fights aren't totally unpredictable. There's a smart way to gamble.
I didn't even know this guy (Erick Silva, the guy on the right), but this picture made me bet on him:
brenneman-x-ericksilva.jpg

The battle is won before it's fought. :sage: