• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Official MMA Discussion

MXZCCT

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Apparently some of the NTs are just as much if not more into the sport than some of us SPs here.

NTs are the new Artisans and SPs are the new Rationalists because we SPs are not as into sports.

Speak for yourself.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Obviously that's not an objective fact, but you stated it as such, so I'm going to make an accurate one by saying that you're wrong.

Spectator sports are awesome, imo. I don't expect everybody to like them, but I'd be interested in why you don't.

Perhaps the social last has something to do with it?
Predictable response to a taste of your own medicine. When it comes to sports, I just prefer to be doing it myself than watching someone else do it. "Spectator sport" is almost an oxymoron. I don't get anything out of the social aspect of watching sports, so social last might be relevant, though I do enjoy my own training group.

KDude

You just need to see some good ground game (even if it's not your style, you would appreciate it).

I've been watching on and off since UFC 1 (I'm an old fart now at 35). No one even saw Royce Gracie coming then. I can appreciate it.. but..

Well actually UFC in the first few years was great. If I recall, he went up against a Dutch Karate guy.. that Dutch guy made it past the semi finals by pummeling a Sumo 3 times his size (That doesn't even happen now). Gracie got there by beating a fast, Muay Thai striker. The matchups were all over the place. After Gracie, things started to change.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't understand the question are you saying they can't take as much of a hit compared to traditional boxers before getting knocked out?

Yes, that was what I meant. I was told that a blow to the head with the hands is the most efficient way to knock someone out and that boxers are more conditioned (focused from a younger age) to take those type of hits, and that is why boxing is the more professional and lucrative sport.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
Yes, that was what I meant. I was told that a blow to the head with the hands is the most efficient way to knock someone out and that boxers are more conditioned (focused from a younger age) to take those type of hits, and that is why boxing is the more professional and lucrative sport.

Actually that just proves the opposite because consistent shots to the head is more damaging to the brain thus making the sport more barbaric than MMA where you are able to utilize different skills and techniques to defend yourself.

KDude

I'd agree with that. There's even a word for it.. Boxers get "punchy", slightly stupid. Or worse. Doctors say Muhammad Ali's parkinsons is due to boxing.

wolfy

awsm
I'd agree with that. There's even a word for it.. Boxers get "punchy", slightly stupid. Or worse. Doctors say Muhammad Ali's parkinsons is due to boxing.

Made me wonder whether I would choose Ali's life if I knew it would lead to where it led. I don't know, maybe...

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Actually that just proves the opposite because consistent shots to the head is more damaging to the brain thus making the sport more barbaric than MMA where you are able to utilize different skills and techniques to defend yourself.

Yeah I definitely believe that.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Apparently some of the NTs are just as much if not more into the sport than some of us SPs here.

NTs are the new Artisans and SPs are the new Rationalists because we SPs are not as into sports.

And this is why we don't listen to Keirsey.

Predictable response to a taste of your own medicine.

:rly???:

My own medicine?

How so?

I've been watching on and off since UFC 1 (I'm an old fart now at 35). No one even saw Royce Gracie coming then. I can appreciate it.. but..

Well actually UFC in the first few years was great. If I recall, he went up against a Dutch Karate guy.. that Dutch guy made it past the semi finals by pummeling a Sumo 3 times his size (That doesn't even happen now). Gracie got there by beating a fast, Muay Thai striker. The matchups were all over the place. After Gracie, things started to change.

I've been watching since then as well, albeit with a pretty long absence in its dark days -- started up again in '05-'06, cuz some friends of mine were training and into Pride at the time. What I would say is that truly spectacular ground fighting occurs pretty infrequently, but, man, when it does, it is something to behold. Also, just for future reference, the Dutchman was a Savate fighter.

Boxing isnt really more lucrative for any but the very top boxers, and it's certainly not more professional (boxing is so disorganized and corrupt it would make your head spin). And the only reason there's more money for the very top boxers is because it's been around a lot longer. In 50 years, boxing will pale in comparison to MMA.

Same thing has actually happened recently to one of the pioneers of the sport, "Big Daddy" Gary Goodrich (whom you may remember as the big badass black dude who pulled that crucifix on that dude in UFC 3 [?] and proceeded to elbow the shit out of the dude's head until he went limp [rather ironic that he's the first MMA guy to report permanent brain damage, huh?]), but, along with MMA, he also stuck around in kickboxing for too long, and he's a rather unique case in MMA as a fighter who stayed in the ring too long.

Here's an awesome article about Anderson Silva's utilization of the Muay Thai clinch against Rich Franklin in their second fight.
http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2011/8/19/2372935/ufc-134-judo-chop-anderson-silva-muay-thai-clinch

:reading:

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
He has potential. I probably wouldn't bet against him.
Chael Sonnen also had a lot of potential, but his provocations (against Anderson, his wife, and Brazil) caused Anderson to unleash the beast, which was a deadly mistake. There was a lot at stake. But now, I'm not so sure. Anderson is 37, already an ufc legend, and with a lot of money... don't know for how long he will be able to remain motivated enough.

Tbh, I just figured I'd start a thread so I wouldn't always be harassing Rasofy about it on his wall.

:harhar:
:mrtoothy:

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Cool!! Btw he sounded so humble. That's not the Chael I know.

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ

Yeah, boxers have to stand up and hit each other though, and not grapple. If a huge dude is going to hit you, you don't want to stand there and try to dodge or block, that's a good way to get killed.

Some times the best way to avoid those powerful punches is to be stuck on the person like glue because in that case they just can't generate nearly as much power as a fully extending stand up punch. It'll still hurt but stand up punching tries to use the whole body and put the force into the end of the fist, and it just doesn't work as well if they are prevented from utilizing all those muscles.

Edit: on that note this is why boxers some times 'hug' or clinch each other in the middle of a fight because it gives them a relief from being hit momentarily but since it isn't wrestling, the ref will usually separate them to a point.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Cool!! Btw he sounded so humble. That's not the Chael I know.

Not sure if you saw this weekend's fights, but man, worst card I've ever seen.

Looks like the Nova Uniao guys have a lockdown on the bantamweight and featherweight divisions.

I do wonder what a fight between Dominick Cruz and Barao is gunna look like, though.

Cruz's awkward footwork, speed and wrestling could be just enough to beat Barao.

I think it'll make for an interesting/entertaining fight.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9

Looks like the Nova Uniao guys have a lockdown on the bantamweight and featherweight divisions.

I do wonder what a fight between Dominick Cruz and Barao is gunna look like, though.

Cruz's awkward footwork, speed and wrestling could be just enough to beat Barao.

I think it'll make for an interesting/entertaining fight.

I dislike Cruz immensely and I have no idea why.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Saw the last 2 fights. Really, really boring fights. And I got shocked when my brother informed me that those 2 Middleweight suckers (Tim Boetsch and Hector Lombard) were possible future competitors to fight against Anderson. :dont::nopoints:

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
I dislike Cruz immensely and I have no idea why.

:laugh:

He's kind of a douche, but...

Putting to the side the fact that he fights like a leprechaun, he's actually pretty good.

Saw the last 2 fights. Really, really boring fights.

Wow...

Well, those were 2 of the 3 best fights on the (main) card...

The 2nd and 3rd fights were worse...

And I got shocked when my brother informed me that those 2 Middleweight suckers (Tim Boetsch and Hector Lombard) were possible future competitors to fight against Anderson. :dont::nopoints:

Boetsch isn't, really...

All he's done really is have an amazing comeback victory over Okami in Japan...

He was just meant to serve as a nice example of why Lombard is a beast, but then, well, apparently Lombard is not actually a beast.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Birger King ad
Translation:
After my last fight, I decided to invite my opponent to a barbecue.
And since I think he's a bit sad, I decided to reinforce the invitation.
Here are two ''bk picanha'' coupons. That's barbecue with real sirloin.
You're invited to go to any Burger King in Brazil to taste this delight.
Now you can say you've won something out of me!