• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

targobelle

~*taaa raaa raaa boom*~
MBTI Type
enfp
mmmm I really liked this beautifully aesthetically pleasing movie

it was so rich and lush and vivid and amazing I loved it!

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Titanic was a better film.

Yeah, especially the love scene with the steamy hand on the window and Old Rose's geriatric ramblings. ()Oh wait, I forgot -- you got to see Kate Winslet nekkid! Poor Zoe Seldana here just got painted blue and had to keep her g-string on.)

mmmm I really liked this beautifully aesthetically pleasing movie. it was so rich and lush and vivid and amazing I loved it!

And where on earth have YOU been all this time, young lady???

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Yeah, especially the love scene with the steamy hand on the window and Old Rose's geriatric ramblings. ()Oh wait, I forgot -- you got to see Kate Winslet nekkid! Poor Zoe Seldana here just got painted blue and had to keep her g-string on.)

And where on earth have YOU been all this time, young lady???

I hear the DVD version will have an extended mating scene, so maybe that'll give Avatar an edge in that department!

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
I loved it. It was indeed meaningful to me, on a variety of levels, and I didn't even notice the passing of almost three hours.

Comparison to other movies with a thread of similarity could render many things less magical, and I honestly don't care if some tosser in the past made a movie about natives (terrestrial or otherwise). :coffee:

Haha yep. To me it was a rehash, but who cares, it was a good rehash and a good movie, and as jennifer pointed out, there are only so many stories and twists on those stories that will ever be made.

mcmartinez84

MBTI Type
ISTP
Stop reading now if you don't want spoilers. You can stop reading anyway. I'm ranting.

SPOILERS AHEAD.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that was a bit disappointed with it. Just saw it last night in 3D. Yeah, the visuals are amazing. And that's the only amazing thing about it. The story was predictable after 20 minutes of the movie. I pretty much called it all and I went in knowing practically nothing about the movie. Even the 3D aspect wasn't terribly impressive. I feel like they did that for the publicity of a high budget 3D film.

It was a huge rip of older, better sci fi. I saw some Stargate, Matrix, LOTS of Ender's Game (more of the other books after Ender's Game - Xenocide, Children of the Mind...). I'd mention Ferngully but I haven't seen that in forever so I'm going based on what other people say.

The major theme of the big bad corporate world eating up the planet is ancient. The love story was the same as any other romance...

Jack: "I'm doing my job. Wait, this chick is awesome. Let's get together!"
Neytiri: "Ok! I helps you, too!"
Jack: "Uh, hate to break it to you, but I have work to do."
Neytiri: "Zomg, you lied to me?! I hate you!"
Jack: "Things change, honey! I love you!"
Neytiri: "Wait, I love you too..."

Gag me with a freakin' spoon.

The more I think about this movie, the less I like it. Did I mention that it looks like Lisa Frank puked on the whole thing? 'Cause it totally does.

Did anyone notice that the handcuffs looked like a slap bracelet?

Ok, so I *do* see the appeal for people who don't read or watch much Sci Fi. It presents the other society well. You've got a noob, just like the audience, and he goes in needing to learn everything. Stuff gets explained, it makes sense. The aspect of sci fi being so totally foreign that one can't associate with it isn't so present in this movie. (I've found that problem with Sci Fi myself. The original BSG series is awful 'cause it's in English but you can't tell wtf is going on without a glossary 'cause they have a new word for everything...in the pilot episode. Not a good beginning.)

Anyway, it looks nice, but I think it kinda failed at everything else.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I don't mind if a movie is derivative, if they do something interesting with the story. Somebody like Tarantino can be extremely derivative, paying homage to this or that old style/story/structure, and still manage to add something original to the mix. Less cheesy dialogue, even, could have brought Avatar up a couple of notches. Or more nuance to the military and industrial characters, instead of just making them "Bad Guys."

I did like the storyline that was linked earlier in this thread a lot, though. Clearly they could not have fit all that in and stayed under 3 hours but they could have preserved some of it, at least.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Somebody like Tarantino can be extremely derivative, paying homage to this or that old style/story/structure, and still manage to add something original to the mix.

oh gee.... Rather like saying "someone like Picasso...."

Tarantino's a unique talent, equipped to create intriguing pastiches of old half-baked ideas. He could make a rotten potato look enticingly menacing. :)

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Kate is more beautiful than anyone in Avatar, but I do think you hit upon something. Actors are far more interesting than CGI characters.

I did like the storyline that was linked earlier in this thread a lot, though. Clearly they could not have fit all that in and stayed under 3 hours but they could have preserved some of it, at least.

I think that was @ INTPc: Project 880: The Movie That Avatar Almost Was. That would be a more interesting story, and better characters.

targobelle

~*taaa raaa raaa boom*~
MBTI Type
enfp
it's moments like these when I read through things that I enjoy being the enfp that I am b/c I can just fall in love with a movie b/c there was a 'A Typical' love story that was predictable right smack dab in the middle of it.

Ah to look outside the box and see the beauty of it all and the richness that it portrayed.... what a lush movie. I don't get caught up in story lines, I went for a high action movie based on fantasy and that is exactly what I got. I didn't add any predisposed notions because of who made the film or what it was based off of.

=P

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I demand more.

I know Cameron can deliver that too.

targobelle

~*taaa raaa raaa boom*~
MBTI Type
enfp
just b/c he can why does he have to?

*mutters* damn intps always pushing for more and never being happy with what they have *mutters*

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I demand more.
I know Cameron can deliver that too.

No wonder he dumped you after that fling with Linda Hamilton, you just are never happy with what a man can give!

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
After robots from the future and giant queen aliens, I expect a lot!

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
oh gee.... Rather like saying "someone like Picasso...."

Tarantino's a unique talent, equipped to create intriguing pastiches of old half-baked ideas. He could make a rotten potato look enticingly menacing. :)

I'm not even a big Tarantino fan, myself (actually I think he's kind of a tool and when I watch his movies I can always see him hacking away at a typewriter--never a computer, always a typewriter, to be different) but there's no doubt he's talented at paying homage to the ghost of movies past. And he weaves a pretty funky plot.

I think that was @ INTPc: Project 880: The Movie That Avatar Almost Was. That would be a more interesting story, and better characters.

Oops. Thanks for linking.

And I agree- I know Cameron can do better. Aliens was fantastic.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
We just got back from seeing Avatar. Had to see the 2D because the 3D doesn't "work" for me (no surprise there though.)

You know, I enjoyed it more than I expected. I didn't mind that the "human/humanoid" characters were somewhat 2D in emotional density and behavior; it really made the environment come to life as a soul-filled entity for me.

Lovely; just lovely. Cried three times. How come no one told me to take tissues?

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
It was absolutely gorgeous -- just very long.

Also, while a lot of things seemed to have been foreshadowed I think I saw one huge plothole, or at least something that was left very unexplained.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Lovely; just lovely. Cried three times. How come no one told me to take tissues?

I thought it was a given. :)

I have done my share too.

It's always funny what movies turn off some people and resonate with others. Ah well. :) :hug: