• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
^well said :yes:.
I understand what you mean when you say "it's best experienced by just letting oneself go and immersing within the frame of the movie". I have a natural tendency with my logical mind to try and fight CGI and even 3D. But with this 3D (BTW a must), sound and the total (and beautifully and artistically done) CGI I was able to let myself go and placed in a garden of Eden...really the closest thing to being on visual hallucinogens I have seen. I enjoyed it much more choosing it as a trip, an experience, rather than a movie.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^well said :yes:.
I understand what you mean when you say "it's best experienced by just letting oneself go and immersing within the frame of the movie". I have a natural tendency with my logical mind to try and fight CGI and even 3D. But with this 3D (BTW a must), sound and the total (and beautifully and artistically done) CGI I was able to let myself go and placed in a garden of Eden...really the closest thing to being on visual hallucinogens I have seen. I enjoyed it much more choosing it as a trip, an experience, rather than a movie.

I used to tear apart every little inconsistency and whatever else I saw in a movie, when I was younger (it was what I did for life experience in general), but after awhile I realized I was missing out on other ways to experience life and there's something to be said about immersing oneself.

This movie was amazing that way. Pretty much as close to possible as actually being there.

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
The plot is one that has been heavily mirrored in other movies in the genre (a large chunk of the plot is right out of the animated movie "Pocahontas") but I felt this one was the most effective twist on that style of narrative.

Don't forget Fern Gully! :D

stigmatica

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
I used to tear apart every little inconsistency and whatever else I saw in a movie, when I was younger (it was what I did for life experience in general), but after awhile I realized I was missing out on other ways to experience life and there's something to be said about immersing oneself.

This movie was amazing that way. Pretty much as close to possible as actually being there.

PLUS 1000000000000000000!

I saw it in 3D this weekend, and plan on seeing it again over the holidays. I'm a big SciFi fan, and this movie was the next best thing to actually getting to experience such scifi bliss for real! And besides that, I like the whole Pocahontas love story theme with a scifi twist. Delicious!

Technically, you could tear this movie to shreds with reality technicalities... but WHY! It's fantasy sci-fi for crying out loud! If it was realistic, it would suck! I mean, that's what reality is good at! SUCKING! If you're looking for an escape from reality, there's no better movie, IMO.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Don't forget Fern Gully! :D

omg. never saw it...
...and never will, now.

;)

Technically, you could tear this movie to shreds with reality technicalities... but WHY! It's fantasy sci-fi for crying out loud! If it was realistic, it would suck! I mean, that's what reality is good at! SUCKING! If you're looking for an escape from reality, there's no better movie, IMO.

I have now seen it twice, and last night's theater had awesome surround sound, so intense that the whole room seemed to tremble and shake when the Na'Vi were driven from their home. (I'll avoid the specifics, since it's a spoiler.)

That coupled with the 3D effects made it feel like I was actually there. It was just crazy.

Sigh, now I want to be Neytiri -- so fierce, so lithe, so expressive. I feel like a toad in comparison. *ribbit*

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
PLUS 1000000000000000000!

If you're looking for an escape from reality, there's no better movie, IMO.

I am glad most of you all are getting the point.

To belabor the point for the others who have not seen it and who plan on bringing a killjoy to see it with them...its like Raiders of the Lost Arc in the sense that sure...its filled with logical inconsistencies...but it KICKS ASS!!

This is one of the rare movies at the theater that I'm gonna see again.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I am glad most of you all are getting the point.

To belabor the point for the other...its like Raiders of the Lost Arc in the sense that sure...its filled with logical inconsistencies but it KICKS ASS!!

This is one of the rare movies at the theater that I'm gonna see again.

Someone asked me the other day what movies I have seen more than once in the theater. As best as I can remember (and there are not many here):

The Incredibles: 6x
The Fellowship of the Ring: 3x
Matrix 2: 3x
Matrix 3: 3x

I'm expecting Avatar 3D to beat them all out except for The Incredibles.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
So it's worth going to see 3D? We saw it 2D, maybe I will go back and see it again.

stigmatica

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
So it's worth going to see 3D? We saw it 2D, maybe I will go back and see it again.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You RUINED IT!!!!!!

DAMMIT!!!! My brother did the same thing (saw it in 2D) and I gave him what for... uh... for it! He immediately went to see it again in 3D, and when he was done, he claimed it was like watching a whole different movie.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
IMO it wouldn't be worth it in 2D. The major selling point for me was the immersive 3D. This new 3D technology is pretty kickass, IMO. It's not like the old-school 3D where all they could do was throw stuff at your face. It's really quite a lot like being there. I want to see it again in an IMAX theater.

Having said that, the story was only so-so to me. It seemed like a mish-mash of Ferngully, Dances with Wolves, Pocahontas, etc etc etc. Very "noble savage." Joins a long line of "white guy who encounters a group of tribal people and becomes the most awesome one of them ever" movies.

ohnotheydidnt: Avatar: The Last Samurai of the Ferngully Who Dances with Wolves (And Why It's All Kinda Racist)

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
BTW I merged the two Avatar threads I found when I searched to make sure I wouldn't be starting a thread that already exists.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
IMO it wouldn't be worth it in 2D. The major selling point for me was the immersive 3D. This new 3D technology is pretty kickass, IMO. It's not like the old-school 3D where all they could do was throw stuff at your face. It's really quite a lot like being there. I want to see it again in an IMAX theater.

That is next on the list for me, hopefully.
It's definitely created for the theater experience and worth seeing there, maxed out.

Having said that, the story was only so-so to me. It seemed like a mish-mash of Ferngully, Dances with Wolves, Pocahontas, etc etc etc. Very "noble savage." Joins a long line of "white guy who encounters a group of tribal people and becomes the most awesome one of them ever" movies.

Yup. It was more the immersive experience of it that I enjoyed rather than because it was groundbreaking in some way in regards to story or characterization... although a few of the actors were tremendous. (Not really the lead or the biggest names, but Zoe Saldana was just excellent.)

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
She was great. I didn't think Sigourney Weaver was all that good in this one, though, and I LOVE her. It's never a good sign when I hear the character pitch ringing in my ears whenever she's on screen. "This is the tough-as-nails scientist with a delicate, nougaty center. She's passionate about her work and seems callous to Jake at first but she'll be there for him when the chips are down."

Memphis

I wanna see it. I wonder if my INTJ daughter is boycotting it because it's 'in' . . . :thinking:

This is basically what I'm doing. Sounds stupid, but it's a reflex. I never do anything while it's "in", "hip" or whatever. I don't wanna be a part of the "horde". If I can't be first, then I'll probably go last, not at all or in a completely different way.

Anyhow, I'll probably see it, since it has gotten such great reviews, cause, hey, I don't wanna miss a good thing. But I'll go see it when all the fuss is over, and most likely in 3D. I've thought about downloading it, but I don't wanna ruin a good visual experience just because I wanna be rebellious.

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Joins a long line of "white guy who encounters a group of tribal people and becomes the most awesome one of them ever" movies.

Sounds kinda like my experiance here at TypoC with my cats avi among cats. ;)

Yeah Sigourney was kinda type cast yet loved her Avatar...like Jennifer's too.

Driving out of town to the nearest 3D IMAX sounds like a daytrip I will have to put on my calendar. Thanks for merging thread (don't know how I missed the first one) and putting the idea in my head to see it IMAX.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
This is basically what I'm doing. Sounds stupid, but it's a reflex. I never do anything while it's "in", "hip" or whatever. I don't wanna be a part of the "horde". If I can't be first, then I'll probably go last, not at all or in a completely different way.

Anyhow, I'll probably see it, since it has gotten such great reviews, cause, hey, I don't wanna miss a good thing. But I'll go see it when all the fuss is over, and most likely in 3D. I've thought about downloading it, but I don't wanna ruin a good visual experience just because I wanna be rebellious.

This is something I've never understood. I hear showering is "in." Do you not do that!?

If something seems cool, do it. Who cares what everyone else thinks.

Sounds kinda like my experiance here in my cats avi. ;)

Yeah Sigourney was kinda type cast yet loved her Avatar...like Jennifer's too ;).

Driving out of town to the nearest 3D IMAX sounds like a daytrip I will have to put on my calendar. Thanks for merging thread (don't know how I missed the first one) and putting the idea in my head to see it IMAX.

Yeah, I'm visiting my friend in Boston this weekend and we're going to check it out. Can't wait.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
She was great. I didn't think Sigourney Weaver was all that good in this one, though, and I LOVE her. It's never a good sign when I hear the character pitch ringing in my ears whenever she's on screen.

Sigh, I really felt the same way. To me, her best lines were the very first ones she delivered, when she complained about not having her cigarette... A lot of different actors could have played this role with little difference in outcome. :(

edgar said:
Please mount my hot blue alien

*hisss* keep your hands OFF my tail!

Best theater I saw it in so far was at the Arundel Mills between Balt/Wash, the Cinemark Egyptian 24, the screen was immense...!

Memphis

This is something I've never understood. I hear showering is "in." Do you not do that!?

If something seems cool, do it. Who cares what everyone else thinks.

See this is awesome! The last sentence is exactly why I won't do it. When something is "in", it means everybody else is doing it, seeing it, listening to it, buying it ect. Everybody else thinks it's great! So why would I do it, just because everybody else is doing it? Or rather, why would I do something based on what everybody else thinks of it? (unless I had to, like fucking showering or sleeping and eating :D) I don't care what everybody else thinks, that's why I won't see it now.

On the flip side, if I thought Avatar was something worth seeing, for me. I would do it without even thinking about whether or not it was in, cause, hey, I think it might be interesting. Even if it got terrible reviews, I would still see it.

So basically, maybe the "problem" is the fact that I don't see the fascination myself, with Avatar, so I refuse to go see it just because it's "in". However, since it has gotten good critic, I probably will see it like I would see any other movie that has gotten good reviews. But just, later. Also, I have issues with being like everybody else, or the majority. But that's a whole other show, and my own stupid values.