• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

reccommend me some awesome PC games from the 90s

Mad Hatter

Head Pigeon
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
-1w
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sims:
- TIE Fighter (<- awesome, if you're into Star Wars and despise the Rebels)
- X-Wing (Both of them are included in the X-Wing Trilogy AFAIK, along with X-Wing Alliance)
- Jane's 688(i)
- Jane's F/A-18
- Red Storm Rising (1989, so really old, but still good)
- Flying Corps Gold
- Aces Of The Deep

TBS:
- Master of Magic (<- awesome)
- Master of Orion (both I and II, I prefer the latter)
- Battle Isle 2
- Panzer General
- History Line 1914-1918 aka The Great War (awkward controls though)

FPS:
- Shadow Warrior (same engine & style as Duke3D; be sure to check the enhancement mods for recent graphics cards)
- DOOM I,II, Heretic (<-awesome), HeXeN. They've been mentioned before, just wanted to say that there's a great source port for these games.

Point and Click Adventures:
- Beneath A Steel Sky
- Kyrandia series
- Indiana Jones series
- Monkey Island series
- Toonstruck

You could also check out Liberated Games.
Mobygames hosts a great search engine.

pardo

MBTI Type
istp
There are enough games in this thread to play your whole life already, but if by any chance you are a Trek fan you could try Starfleet Command (1 and/or 2).
Also SFC is almost a genre on his own, there are so few tactical spaceship sims.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I'm surprised no one's said it so:

The Ur Quan Masters

Formally know as Star Control II, this has to be one of the best games ever made and has totally stood the test of time. Also its shareware, so its easy to get hold of.

Oeufa

MBTI Type
INTP

Fantastic game, you absolutely must play it! It was released in 2000 so you should be ok.

Also the Age of Empires games were pretty good, if RTS is your thing. I'd imagine your computer could handle them too.

ColonelGadaafi

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
Si
I would strongly recommend playing FALLOUT/FALLOUT2 aswell as half-life1 and the available expansion packs. I am not going to bother making a long list since all the titles i can think of have already been posted.

ColonelGadaafi

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
Si
On a second note, i am surprised that with frequent visitation of T's in this thread, no one was mindful enough to remind you of the excess C in you're thread title. Perhaps thinking about games is just as distracting as playing them.

Willfrey

MBTI Type
IsTP
TOTAL ANNIHILATION
and it's expansion pack. Hard to find origionals since the the main company went kaput though. One of the best RTS's ever made, insanely fun if you can find others to play against. That was back in the day where they had Multiplayer only installs so you and all your friends played with one disc! Ah, the good ol' days...

Also there is this game called Rocket Jockey that is retardedly fun, never got much exposure. You can find it on abandonware sites though it's glitchy on new OS's.

MBTI Type
INFP
You all should check out UrbanTerror. It's a Quake III realism mod (so it kind of qualifies as a 90s game). I didn't think I would like it, but I downloaded it and gave it a try. I've spent hours upon hours upon hours playing it. I think I'm addicted.

Totally free, runs on Windows, Mac, Linux, and your microwave.

Willfrey

MBTI Type
IsTP
Also how has Grim Fandango not made the list? Probably the best PC adventure game of the 90's. Actually probably the the last very good adventure game made.

Alpha Centauri was also amazing, like Civilizations but IN SPACE... kinda.

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
hope I'm not too late!

7facb502.jpg

thank me later

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
No mention of the Ultima and Ultima Underworld series?

I haven't touched Ultima 7: The Black Gate in over a decade and I can still recall the grisly details of the storyline and hum the music.

(We need a nostalgic smiley.)

View attachment 4453

Mad Hatter

Head Pigeon
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
-1w
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Alice (although never got into that)

Very creative and original artwork there. Highly recommended.

"Raptor - Call of the Shadows" is also good (top-down shooter like Tyrian). Settlers I and II are also very nice, didn't like any of the sequels though.
Also: Nectaris. Straightforward hex TBS.

Edit: Battlezone. It's an awesome mix of first-person action and real time strategy. If you use a glide wrapper, it should run decently.