• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Aesthetics, Arts and Crafts and Art Nouveau: Vis. Art, Architecture, Material Culture

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Do you mind if I find other links to the images listed on that page so I can add them to the pretty eye candy here?

Sure, I don't care. I would've linked from a different site if I had known that one would turn out to be such a pain :D .

BlueSprout

/X\(:: :: )/X\
MBTI Type
pfni
Enneagram
Sure, I don't care. I would've linked from a different site if I had known that one would turn out to be such a pain :D .

It's a beautiful site and I can see why you used it, but you're right - what a nuisance.

Here they are (minus Isolde/Salome, because they're already in the thread and Perseus Slaying Medusa because I can't find it elsewhere).

15.jpg

beardsley_cinderella.jpg

beardsley5.gif

draft_lens2733372module45968832photo_1247562676Aubrey_Beardsley_Le_Morte_d_Arthur_The_Kiss_of_Judas.gif

22776.jpg

beardsley2.jpg

mag43small.jpg

03Beardsley012.jpg

This isn't on the list, but I found it when searching for the Savoy print and had never seen it before. Beautiful:
savoy.jpg

BlueSprout

MBTI Type
pfni
Enneagram
As soon as I find all the images I want, I'm going to post some Belgian Art Nouveau architecture in parts; sgraffito, glass, etc. To start, some Horta.

horta2.jpg

3417299535_a3d60b7212.jpg

hort_eetvelde.jpg

tassel.jpg

spacer.gif

stairs1.jpg

Horta%2Bstairway2%2B500.jpg

Hirsch63

MBTI Type
IS??
Ahh, good. I was waiting for the Horta....how about some Guimard? BTW, Our Public Broadcasting had a Documentary on Elbert Hubbard a couple of days ago I believe in The American Masters series. Pretty much bio but still good to see.

BlueSprout

MBTI Type
pfni
Enneagram
Ahh, good. I was waiting for the Horta....how about some Guimard? BTW, Our Public Broadcasting had a Documentary on Elbert Hubbard a couple of days ago I believe in The American Masters series. Pretty much bio but still good to see.

I've been collecting some images of Guimard's architecture and iron work for future posting, but have been unhappy with the quality and variety of the images so far. For now, I'm working on Belgian artists and architects, but France is not far behind. Horta, of course, was rightfully first on the list. I'm currently working on Paul Cauchie's sgraffites, but again am running into quality and quantity issues.

I didn't know about the documentary - I'll have to seek it out. I don't know much about Hubbard's life, actually, so the bio focus would work for me.

Feel free to post anything you'd like to contribute, too. If you have some Guimard pics you'd like to share, it would just make my job easier. :D

BlueSprout

MBTI Type
pfni
Enneagram
Some Belgian Art Nouveau Sgraffite and Building Facades:
(I'm going to post Privat Livemont's lithographs separately.)

Paul Cauchie:

roosevelt6G.jpg

269px-Paul_Cauchie%2C_art_nouveau_Etterbbek.JPG

372px-Maison_Cauchie_00.JPG

122785158_9608276779.jpg

3534102546_93e5ee544c.jpg

800px-Schaerbeek%2C_9_av._Albert_Giraud_03.jpg

764px-Schaerbeek_31_av._Sleeckx_02.jpg

Paul Hankar:

684px-Hôtel_Ciamberlani_Sgraffite_2007.JPG

570.buildings.10500890_0048_P05.jpg

Gabriel van Dievoet:

0005518aa.jpg

800px-Charleroi_-_Maison_Dorée_2.JPG

Privat Livemont:

800px-Schaerbeek_12_Square_Riga_01.jpg

800px-Schaerbeek_12_Square_Riga_02.jpg

400px-Schaerbeek_rue_Vogler_17_901.jpg

800px-Schaerbeek_rue_Vogler_17_903.jpg

Last edited:

BlueSprout

MBTI Type
pfni
Enneagram
Depression Ware

Okay, so this is somewhat unrelated, but I've been going through dishes during this holiday season and am now inspired to post about depression glass. My mother inherited and collected it and I have many fond memories of the hundreds of peices I grew up seeing and using every day. :blush:

For some background, depression glass/depression ware is the term used for household items, especially dishware, that were cheaply manufactured and sold or given away during the Great Depression. They were colorful and, I think, elegant looking considering how inexpensive they were. When you run your hands along the surface of the patterned glass, you can feel the intricate etchwork. It gives me goosebumps to this day.

6-15-2007-12-48-04-PM-9514214.jpg

royal-ruby-depression-glass-2.jpg

^^^
The ones I grew up with were gold, amber and green as well as Coronation red. :wubbie:

Here are other examples - and please feel free to share if you have memories of depression ware or own any yourself:

JeanFloralCup%26Saucer.jpg

Depression+Pink+Glass+3.jpg

Depression+Pink+Glass+6.jpg

319346-main_Full.jpg

BlockOpticCup.jpg

2912sugara.jpg

GreenDepressionGlass1.jpg

federal_glass_madrid_amber_salad_plate_P0000023121S0025T2.jpg

federal_glass_madrid_amber_cone_shaped_sherbet_P0000023121S0047T2.jpg

001.JPG

ImperialLacedEdgeKatyBlue.jpg

BlueDepressionGlass.jpg

draft_lens1384377module12879544photo_12301605983948.JPG

o_IW12.JPG

BlueSprout

MBTI Type
pfni
Enneagram
Uranium Glass

This thread is going from Se to Si all of a sudden. :blush: Again, inspired by looking through family heirlooms, I'm going to post about uranium glass. My family has a small, beautifully crafted art deco figurine. The piece is a nude bather who makes ripples in the water with her toes. Looking at it inspired me to find out more about the material it is crafted from, which is a subtle, translucent green glass made with uranium.

Uranium glass was commonly fashioned into household items, including dishware, from the mid 19th to mid 20th century. It ranges in color from a pale yellow to a striking green, can be semi-opaque or translucent, and glows under UV light. Uranium glass peaked in popularity from the 1880s to the 1920s, varying in color over time as manufacturers altered the mineral content of the formula. Production halted during the WWII and the Cold War because of the increased preciousness of Uranium.

Uranium glassware from the 1900s-1930s often reflected the Art Nouveau and Art Deco aesthetics. I couldn't find as many beautiful examples of the Art Nouveau style, but if I do I will edit this post to include them. Uranium was apparently used to produce some Depression Ware (see previous post) and some Uranium glass is nominally considered Depression glass, though there is nothing compositionally distinct about it.

Here are some lovely Art Deco examples:

artdecolamp03.jpg

waltherglass_athene04.jpg

AAAAC-OFthEAAAAAAFzkzw.jpg

AB_poss-bagley_uranium_tray.jpg

artdecobowlvaseline03.jpg

318818808_tp.jpg

66211.jpg

artdecobowlvaseline04.jpg

artdecovasevaseline01.jpg

Dscn2814.jpg

Last edited:

BlueSprout

MBTI Type
pfni
Enneagram
I will be continuing to update this thread, though I think I'm officially dropping the Belgian art nouveau project because, as lovely as it is, there are too few good pictures available. I will be posting Privat Livemont's lithographs as promised, however. I'll try to make a post on 'la fee verte' in art nouveau soon as well.

I might start a thread dedicated to just Victoriana, because there are certain lost arts and items, such as hair (mourning) jewelry and carpet balls, that I want to post a little bit about. Is anyone else interested in Victorian art and culture?

BlueSprout

MBTI Type
pfni
Enneagram
Émile Gallé:

There is a little about the Anglo-Japanese style/Japonisme that was a part of the Arts and Crafts and Art Nouveau movements on the first page of the thread. I'm going to be posting about craftspeople who incorporated the Japanese aesthetic into their work for a little until I'm able to find the material I need for Belgian Art Nouveau.

Here are some enamel and cameo glass vases (and one lamp) by French Art Nouveau artist Emile Galle. His glass reflects his early study of botany and his interest in the Japanese philosophy of emphasizing harmony with nature (as learned through friend and Japanese expatriate Takashima Hokkai).

gallebanjohome.jpg

d5261293l.jpg

100757.jpg

Emile%20Galle002.jpg

galle-vase-1.jpg

BlueSprout

MBTI Type
pfni
Enneagram
René Lalique

One of the premier French Art Nouveau and Art Deco jewelers and designers, Lalique was heavily influenced by Japonisme. In France, the Japanese aesthetic offered artists and craftsmen a fresh approach to their work and an answer to the entrenched and stale tradition of academic art. Like Émile Gallé (previous post), Lalique found inspiration in nature, adopting organic and sometimes asymmetrical designs. He drew from Japanese aesthetic traditions, from wood block prints to hair combs, to craft glass, ceramics and jewelry.

Hair Combs and Tiaras:

draft_lens4751812module34582642photo_1242741530lalique-orchid.jpg

laliquecomb1.jpg

use-bothtogether.jpg

Perfume Bottles:

Perfume-4.gif

at_6_17_52.JPG

le_lys_perfume_bottle.jpg

bouchoncassiswebimage.jpg

Vases and Sculptures:

laliquefish1.jpg

10791806.jpg

lalique-oranges-vase.jpg

php4h412yam.jpg

image50557976640x480.jpg

3531.jpg

Last edited:

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hmmm, this is an Edmund Dulac print (he was another illustrater that was roughly contemporary). It is from a Hans Christian Andersen tale, The Snow Queen. See links below.

Gerda and the Reindeer
Vault Catalog | UBC Library Vault
Gerda and the Reindeer : Edmund Dulac art print

Beardsley was known for his often monochromatic block prints, which you would probably recognize right away: they are commonly seen on posters, post cards and even coffee mugs today. Here are some below:

Aubrey_Beardsley_1894_Salome.jpg

Isolde_Beardsley.jpg

beardsley_climax_salome.jpg

I'll have to check this out. I knew about the anachronism of the 'Art Deco' designation, but don't know how it came about. I'm curious about the revival; I'm not terribly familiar with it, admittedly. Thanks. :yes:

lovin this thread so far.... and my sister was named after aubrey beardsley!! he's pretty cool. :)

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
does this fit in this thread?

Arthur Erickson, Architect
MidCentury Architecture alerts us to architect Arthur Erickson who has done some amazing things with wood for residences in the Pacific Northwest.

2220372912_8f45c7767f.jpg

BlueSprout

MBTI Type
pfni
Enneagram

MidCentury Architecture alerts us to architect Arthur Erickson who has done some amazing things with wood for residences in the Pacific Northwest.

It's a bit late, but I can see the connection to Frank Lloyd Wright's aesthetic and approach, for instance. Feel free to contribute what you like, even if you aren't sure. :) There are no "rules" in the thread.

BlueSprout

MBTI Type
pfni
Enneagram
lovin this thread so far.... and my sister was named after aubrey beardsley!! he's pretty cool. :)

Thank you. :) And what a lovely name - your parents have good taste. ;)

French Aesthetic Furniture and Japonisme

Émile Gallé: his biography and connection to Japonisme on the previous page with his glass work. Part of the École de Nancy, a center of French Art Nouveau craftsmanship to rival Paris, with Marjorelle, Gallé crafted furniture in his style of organic Japonisme. He advocated utility in furnishings and made certain that the ornamentation he added did not interfere with their easy use. At the same time, his embellishments were meant to be conspicuous and transformative, creating the potential for spiritual connection to the world's beauty. His editorials and other writings heavily influenced the craftsmen in Nancy.

chaise_galle.gif

macklowe_gallery_art_nouveau_desk_12484205699785.jpg

macklowe_gallery_art_nouveau_japonisme_cabinet_1246001331545.jpg

Louis Majorelle: Like fellow Nancy artist Gallé, Majorelle used marquetry to convey natural motifs in the style of Japanese woodblock.

l-majorelle-etagere.jpg

eckardstein10-17-05-13.jpg

af59976b2db4f62c90b87c003572cf8b.jpg

*** I'm going to revisit Majorelle and Gallé and their non-Japonisme furniture.

BlueSprout

MBTI Type
pfni
Enneagram
Anglo-Japanese Aesthetic Movement Interior Spaces

Pics and illustrations showing the integration of adapted Japanese aesthetic elements into living spaces prior to the Japonisme of the Art Nouveau.

James Whistler (who was a big proponent of the Japanese aesthetic) designed this "Peacock Room" in 1876.

peacock+room1.JPG

6a00ccff930f92d75600fad692266c0004-500pi

whistler-797909.jpg

Walter Crane: An 1870s illustration showing an interior with similar elements to the Peacock Room.

My-Ladys-Chamber-Frontispiece-to-The-House-Beautiful.jpg

Japanesque Aesthetic Design Plan 1880s color illustration of interior design.

1880s.jpg

Some Misc. Prints of Japanesque Aesthetic Interiors/Interior Elements

1880+A+HANGING+CUPBOARD.JPG

1880+DRAWING+ROOM+CABINET.JPG

bedstead%2Band%2Btoilet%2Bstand.JPG

1880%2BBEDROOM%2BFURNITURE.JPG

image157.jpg

Last edited:

BlueSprout

MBTI Type
pfni
Enneagram
For Hirsch63, :)

Arts and Crafts, The Aesthetic Movement and Orientalism in American Furniture Making Pt I:

The Aesthetic tradition in furniture making developed in the US at roughly the same time as it did in Europe.

The increased Japanese influence on American aesthetics began shortly after Commodore Perry's forcible opening of Japan in 1853. Shortly thereafter, an influx of blue and white porcelain, lacquer and textiles became available to American consumers. The 1876 Philadelphia Exposition formally introduced an American audience to both the burgeoning European Aesthetic Movement and to Japanese arts and crafts. Publications dictating the standards of taste and home decorating served to heighten public demand for Japanesque Aesthetic goods. But the interest in the Japanese aesthetic was accompanied by a greater appreciation of all things Asian and Islamic, as Chinese, Moorish, etc. natural motifs and craft traditions also became incorporated into Aestheticism's ecclectic mix of influences.

By the end of the 1870s, Japanesque, Orientalist and Aesthetic design principles had taken root in American craftsmanship. Like their European Aestheticist counterparts (though arguably to a lesser extent), some American designers may have looked to Japan as the best representative of the medievalism that was becoming increasingly romanticized. There was a perception that Japan had a purer, preindustrial artistic culture in which the artists were "still very much like those of medieval Europe.... both artist and artisan". Though the US arguably had no or few counterparts to European Aesthetic visionaries like EW Godwin, its craftsmen absorbed these influences and developed their own interpretations thereof.

Starting with...

George Hunzinger: Known for his folding chairs, Hunzinger used real and maple imitation bamboo, imitation lacquer ("ebonized" wood) and an extensive use of wood turning to produce Orientalist furniture along with many examples of the Renaissance Revival style. Unlike his Aestheticist contemporaries, Hunzinger embraced modern manufacturing. The interchangeable, interlocking parts and relative simplicity of many of his designs (when compared to conventional Victorian furniture, that is) were meant to facilitate mass production. While not considered an aestheticist per se, his innovative and ecclectic vision represented the similar and coinciding 'reform' style furnishings of the mid to late 19th century.

Patents

lunapic-125292875876260.jpg

wirepat.jpg

folder.jpg

Some Examples of His Style

hunzinger_4.jpg

Hunzinger_Tail_Chair.jpg

edflse.jpg

0291_1_lg.jpg

HZ%2BComparison%2B3.jpg

hb_1992.269.jpg

TBC....

mr.awesome

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5

is this from the film "When A Stranger Calls"?

edit: 69th post. giggity.

Hirsch63

MBTI Type
IS??
For Hirsch63, :)

hb_1992.269.jpg

TBC....

Thanks for the info! This settee is perhaps my favorite Hunzinger composition. The alternating rythm of the spheres in the base tie into the turned rings of the crest rail together implying a series of triangles superimposed upon the form. Indeed, the dispersal of cirlcular elements throughout some receding and some advancing keep the contemplation of this work a lively exercise. The choice of caning in the seat and back lighten what would have otherwise been a heavy appearance despite the careful proportioning. I find the outward curvilinear thrust of the arm rests to be a joyful counterpoint to the otherwise rectangular emphasis of the form. The conic terminals of the back provide a beautiful note of punctuation to the as the composition moves vertically to a close. Thanks again for a great piece!