• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Hitchin It Mafia Style

findthejake

MBTI Type
ENFP
I got this published at a couple of different backpacking sites online but I thought I'd share it with ya'll. Let me know what ya think!

I was working for a US airline and taking full advantage of the free flight benefits the employees were offered. For my first trip, I decided to head North to visit my family in Chicago and escape the oppressive heat of Phoenix in August. As will often happen when flying standby, the direct flights were all over-sold and that made creativity the name of the game.

In a situation like this it’s a race to beat the other standby passengers to the next best options, so I bolted over to the departure listing screen and decided what the next closest city was with the next available flight. Getting bumped off of a flight always makes the whole experience more of a crazy adventure and with the right attitude it can end up being the best part of the trip.

Milwaukee was the best alternative for getting to Chi-town, so I jumped on the next flight out and decided to figure out the rest of the logistics after landing. Finding yourself in a strange, new airport, totally lost and without transportation, can be a bit disconcerting, but as a backpacker life comes at you fast. You might lose your passport and be stranded, or you might get off at the wrong bus stop; either way you learn to improvise. The flight landed around eleven-thirty at night and, as fate would have it, all the buses had stopped running for the night.

The options at times like this are always slim. In this case they were to sleep in the airport to wait for the morning bus, call a shuttle service, rent a car, or try to hitch it. Sleeping in airports is an old pastime of mine and one I enjoy, but I was pretty energized and decided to give hitching it a go before resorting to shoveling out a ridiculous amount of cash for a two hour ride.

I boldly walked into the car rental area and asked for a show of hands on who was going to Chicago. Two business men in front of me, dressed in nice Italian suits, hesitantly raised their hands.

“Where you guys headed?”
“O’Hare”
“Can I bum a ride?”
“Uh… Sure. You’s gonna pay the tolls.”
“Deal.”

John and Steve had flown out of O’Hare to Newark earlier that morning and had almost gotten stuck there after their flight back had been cancelled. Like me, they thought of rerouting through Milwaukee instead.

“So what were you guys doing in Jersey today?” I probed innocently from the back seat of the premium full-size rental car. “A little business down by the docks” came the paused response from John, the driver. “Ok…” I replied, fully amused with the possibilities. “What kind of business do ya’ll do?” Silence emanated from the front of the car.

“Uh, Jake, What about you’s? What do you do? What brings you to Chicago?” Steve asked, changing the subject. I told the guys about my job, where I was from, and about my travels. Then, being the inquisitive idiot, I again posed a question: “Were you guys filling cement shoes in Jersey or something?” More silence. “Jake, be glad you’re not riding in the trunk.” I laugh as I answer my cell - it’s my mother calling to check on me. I make it a point to not tell my parents about hitching adventures until after they are over, but this time I went with the straight approach.

“Hey Mom! No, I’m fine. I hitched a ride with these two mafia guys who just finished doing a lil business down on the docks in Jersey, if you know what I mean,” I said, trying my best Italian mafia voice. I get a scowl from Steve in the front and he tells me to stop scaring my mother. “Listen Mom, I’m gravy. I’ll call you from Grandpa’s.”

We go back to talking about the weather and other inconsequential things when finally John confesses: “Aight, listen. We’s pro fishermen. We had a tournament in Jersey today.” I turned this over in my head, realizing they only had two small day bags. “Where’s your gear? Your poles and whatnot?” Once again, nothing but silence from the front seat. Steve starts laughing ominously and asks if I’ll ever hitch again after this.

We pulled into O’Hare’s rental return and I somehow managed to get out of being fitted for concrete shoes and tossed off a bridge. The mafia guys made sure I had a ride the rest of the way to my grandparents before they headed off.

My love affair with thumbing rides comes down to the mystery of what awaits inside the stranger’s car. It is an exhilarating experience to find oneself in some of the situations that hitching provides. At the end of the day you learn who you share the road with everyday, people we would otherwise ignore from inside our own air-conditioned box on wheels.

That’s what the world really needs, isn’t it? Just a few more people willing to open their doors and hearts to the strangers that surround them.