• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Facebook

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Just out of curiosity, does anyone else here have a Facebook account?

Recoleta

No me digas, che!
MBTI Type
ISXJ
facebook = evil.

Lol...surprisingly (or perhaps not so surprisingly) every INTJ I have ever met says this same thing. We've had in-depth discussions about it too. *shrug* I still don't see why facebook = evil. You put what you want to put, and you can always keep your profile private and whatnot, so I see no problem.

Oh well, I guess that just means that I actually have to call my INTJ friends instead of leaving them silly messages on facebook...because Lord knows those INTJ's will never call me! And yet, I still love INTJ's anyway :hug:

sundowning

MBTI Type
ISTP
I do.

At first I enjoyed it, but there are two sticking points:
1) The whole reconnecting-with every-douche-bag-from-highschool thing gets old, FAST.
2) A million fucking application invites. No, I don't want to add your houseplant as my friend. No, I don't give a fuck about fighting your werewolf. And if you're a dude, I definitely DO NOT want a "you're hot" request from you.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
facebook = evil.

I signed up. And then I ignored it for the next 4 months.

That'd be where I'm at now - ignoring it entirely. I have no interest in;

1) Reconnecting to people I didn't stay connected with. If I wanted to be your friend, I would not have ignored you for the better part of a decade.

2) Connecting to people I barely know. I don't know you and I have no interest in knowing you.

3) Poke someone else... please. If you want to say something, just message me! What? Too lazy to do that? Then poke yourself in your eye.

4) Friends who don't keep in touch but update their profile. Your social network is not a blog. Keep in touch. Seriously.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm afraid I have one, as well. (If anyone wants to add me, go ahead...I can use the extra zombie points! :D )

It's much less "scene" than MySpace (i.e. fewer bisexual vampires), but it's also much less inhabited.

(And not to have a mall police mentality, but why is this in Arts and Entertainment? Shouldn't this be in Relationships?)

Punggung

MBTI Type
INTJ
I think it's quite good. I can play Risk with my high school buddies again. I can come into contact with ignorant fools refusing to have functioning blogs, phones, msn, icq, aim or skype. I can easily click the option to ignore all requests and invitations from all the morons I never speak to. It's just another tool for communication, one geared toward students. Now what about the downsides?

1) Reconnecting to people I didn't stay connected with. If I wanted to be your friend, I would not have ignored you for the better part of a decade.

2) Connecting to people I barely know. I don't know you and I have no interest in knowing you.

3) Poke someone else... please. If you want to say something, just message me! What? Too lazy to do that? Then poke yourself in your eye.

4) Friends who don't keep in touch but update their profile. Your social network is not a blog. Keep in touch. Seriously.

These answers aren't directed specificly to you ptgatsby, I just thought you summed up the common critisism in a good way.

1) So what, just ignore em. However, if youre not there to use it as a communication tool, I can't see what you would do there at all. And if you're there for a reason I can't see why you would deny the opportunity to build a network, after all: they do it for you and you don't have to give them any info or time (more than the accept-click).
2) Well, why would you have to? But if you actually are in the process of getting to know them you can use facebook as a tool to further your evil plans.
3) Yeah. But they can easily be ignored. There is a function for ignoring them.
4) Don't see it as your social network. See it as any old network. And utilize it.

niffer

MBTI Type
ENfP
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I do.

It's actually pretty useful.

What me and my friends do sometimes is take pictures of notes on the overhead in class, and upload them onto facebook...among other things. It's certainly better than myspace. I think. The apps are starting to gross me out though.

Mycroft

The elder Holmes
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I'm not particularly comfortable with people I associate with in person knowing how and what I think, let alone a bunch of random people on the Internet.

And just to prevent wiseacres from responding with "What about this message board?": On MBTIc I discuss what I think about specific topics. Beyond that I keep me to me. That I'm perfectly comfortable with.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
I've obviously missed some vital piece of this Facebook phenomena. I've kept my own blog site for the better part of this year and I much prefer the format of having somewhere to put my thoughts in a design of my choosing than providing a wall for everyone I know and half a billion I don't to sling their videos, pictures and general detritus at.

Maybe it's an extroverts thing? God knows extroverts needed something on the internet better formatted to their preferences. This of course does not mean that just because I keep getting invited onto facebook by extroverts that I'm going to even grace it with a response.

Facebook = Bah humbug :D

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yep, I got sucked into it. Not by choice, but I had to create an account to view all of the photos on one of my best friends' accounts.....and now I like it. :blush:

Not for the networking part, but I LOVE their photo album functionality, so it's going to become my official website, and I'll ditch my extremely crappy geocities one.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Alright, I was just curious. Thanks for the input!

I have an account there, and it was REALLY useful in reconnecting me to my classmates in Northern Ireland, and keeping me connected to my Canadians.

I agree about the viral application garbage. It's obnoxious, and I just ignore what I don't want.

Maverick

MBTI Type
ENTJ
It's fine, it's really practical to get back in touch with old buddies. I like the idea and go there from time to time.