• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Facebook

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
1. Signed up about a year or so ago.
2. Forgot about it.

I don't see what's so interesting about Facebook. I log on every once in a while to see if I have friend requests, but other than that, I could care less about what my distant friends are doing. I seem to communicate better with people that I don't know and that don't know me. Probably not the safest way to be going about the internet...

professor goodstain

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7~7
1. Signed up about a year or so ago.
2. Forgot about it.

I don't see what's so interesting about Facebook. I log on every once in a while to see if I have friend requests, but other than that, I could care less about what my distant friends are doing. I seem to communicate better with people that I don't know and that don't know me. Probably not the safest way to be going about the internet...

Hi. My name is Spector. I just got a new puppy. You want to meet up at the park sometime and see my new puppy?

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Can someone write a program to read my mind and add anyone I want to add on facebook? I don't feel like figuring it out.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
I do.

At first I enjoyed it, but there are two sticking points:
1) The whole reconnecting-with every-douche-bag-from-highschool thing gets old, FAST.
2) A million fucking application invites. No, I don't want to add your houseplant as my friend. No, I don't give a fuck about fighting your werewolf. And if you're a dude, I definitely DO NOT want a "you're hot" request from you.

Same here. I 'opted out' of FB after a few months. It's like an endless High school reunion...and I didn't like HS.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
Can someone write a program to read my mind and add anyone I want to add on facebook? I don't feel like figuring it out.

If you have said people as contacts in webmail such as yahoo, it'll do that for you.

Poser

Fe, rusted.
MBTI Type
INTP
What is the etiquette for a comment when someone announces the finalization of their divorce on facebook? I'm sorry, but congratulations?

I am at a loss.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
What is the etiquette for a comment when someone announces the finalization of their divorce on facebook? I'm sorry, but congratulations?

I am at a loss.

I’d say something like "Great news that it's all finalised, I guess now it's all sorted you won’t mind if I pursue your ex, I always felt like there was a great connection between the two of us" to be used regardless of the gender :yes:

Even better if their ex will let you facebook marry them :D

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
I was on it a long time and didn't pay much attention to it, but Jen got me hooked on Mob Wars and now, mostly while waiting for my energy to rebuild so I can commit more crimes and make more dirty virtual money, I've gotten in contact with some folks from high school and college. It's kinda fun.
:laugh: i'm a terrible influence!

Kaveri

MBTI Type
intp
I have a Facebook account but I'm seriously considering leaving Facebook for good. I don't like Facebook's poor privacy policies and the way they want to OWN their users' content, I think it's disrespectful. I also don't really want to be part of making it a "must" for everyone to partake in social media. People's social lives have become far too virtualised... I want to start fighting that trend.

Also, Facebook has not made my life any better. Most status updates are a waste of time and space, really. I have "reconnected" with some of my old friends-- only to say "hi" and then ignore their Facebook for the next six months or so... that's not really reconnecting.

Also, it feels bad to make updates about the nice things in my life and then not be able to update about the bad things, like feeling crappy. It feels like lying and makes me feel bad. Don't want to do it any more.

Sometimes I've had interesting private discussions via Facebook's private messages but I can have those discussions without Facebook, too-- only feeling more secure about the discussions' privacy.

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
And the fun won't stop . . .

Report: Facebook caught sharing secret data with advertisers

The privacy issues that have been hounding Facebook may be coming to a head. A report in the Wall Street Journal indicates that the Facebook, along with MySpace, Digg, and a handful of other social-networking sites, have been sharing users' personal data with advertisers without users' knowledge or consent.

The data shared includes names, user IDs, and other information sufficient to enable ad companies such as the Google-owned DoubleClick to identify distinct user profiles. Some of the sites in question, including MySpace and Facebook, stopped sharing the data after the Journal asked them about it. The surreptitious data sharing was first noticed (PDF) by researchers from Worcester Polytechnic Institute and AT&T Labs in August 2009, who brought it up with the sites in question. It wasn't until WSJ contacted them that changes were made.

Not surprisingly, Facebook appears to have gone farther than the other sites when it comes to sharing data. When Facebook's users clicked on ads appearing on a profile page, the site would at times provide data such as the username behind the click, as well as the user whose profile page from which the click came. "If you are looking at your profile page and you click on an ad, you are telling that advertiser who you are," Harvard Business School professor Ben Edelman told the Journal. Advertisers contacted by the paper said that they were unaware of the additional data and did not make use of it.

Facebook has tweaked its privacy policy throughout its history, with the most recent moves to open up more user information to the public drawing heavy criticism and FTC complaints. Users have also had a tough time navigating the site's often-Byzantine privacy controls, which has led to a trickle of user defections. With these latest revelations about Facebook ignoring industry standards, not to mention its own privacy policies, that trickle may turn into a torrent.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Status update:
Tanning, shopping, then hanging with friends!!! I love my life!!!

I hate/like facebook.

KDude

my facebook page has been disabled for months. just tired of it. i'm sure i'll see what's up with it sooner or later, but it's a crappy way of keeping in touch imo