• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

21st Century Rock n' Roll: Who are the innovators?

MyIsland

MBTI Type
INtj
Enneagram
5w4
Personally, I think Gen Y has been primarily influenced by the likes of The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Bob Dylan, and Radiohead.

Which Rock and Roll artists of this millennium are shaping the music of tomorrow? Which artists have influenced them? What role is modern technology playing in supplementing the creativity?

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
There are some pretty innovative artists in the 21st Century. White Stripes, TV on the Radio, Dirty Projectors, Yeasayer, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, The Klaxons. . .

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Mainstream rock is horrible right now. Nickelback, Breaking Benjamin, Puddle Of Mudd, Green Day, Daughtry.... disgusting.

Innovation and the whole spirit of rock'n'roll is more active in the indie rock scene. The Libertines, Animal Collective, TV on the Radio, Interpol, Arcade Fire...

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Mainstream rock is horrible right now. Nickelback, Breaking Benjamin, Puddle Of Mudd, Green Day, Daughtry.... disgusting.

Innovation and the whole spirit of rock'n'roll is more active in the indie rock scene. The Libertines, Animal Collective, TV on the Radio, Interpol, Arcade Fire...

Green Day are still a very good band. The Foxboro Hot Tubs album was great. Also, I don't know how "innovative" I'd consider a band like Interpol. I enjoy them, but their sound is basically American-boys-do-The Chameleons-and-Joy-Division. They and TV on the Radio are signed to major labels, too.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
There are some great suggestions here. I mostly agree. The Mars Volta, too.

MyIsland

MBTI Type
INtj
Enneagram
5w4
^

It's pretty amazing that I agree 100% with all the responses thus far. I see the face of music changing dramatically from the corporate brand labels we have today. I see every state creating bonnaroos, paloozas, Beale St's, and amphitheaters, etc. with more of a pass ticket structure. Thus, increasing studio recording ep's and more tour-oriented and area involved. Contracts signed through Artist and Venue rather the Artist and Agency. It's very exciting and everyone will finally be able to hear better music.

I think some other innovative artists are Modest Mouse, Grizzly Bear, My Morning Jacket, and Kings of Leon. And Animal Collective...:nice:

demimondaine

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
i guess there's a carry-over from pavement in the 90's, but i find stephen malkmus's work to be very original

iamathousandapples

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w6
I'll be thirding Radiohead here. Porcupine Tree and Mastodon(especially their new album) are very innovative in their genres. also Muse

Edit: Almost forgot about Opeth. This thread should definitely not be limited to plain rock, because this decades biggest innovators have definitely been metal bands.

Mole

Permabanned
Bach wrote the soundtrack for the Church.

And Beethoven wrote the soundtrack for bourgeoise.

And while Rock'n'Roll is the soundtrack for the masses,

Mozart wrote music.

Just another ISTJ

MBTI Type
IsTj
Enneagram
1w9
I'd say Animal Collective are indeed innovative, but I don't know if they can be classified as Rock and Roll...

I consider Broken Social Scene, Arcade Fire, Vampire Weekend, The Strokes, The National, and TV on the Radio as examples of bands that are shaping the 21st Century Rock soundscape.

ZiL

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
567?
Umm...BECKBECKBECKBECKBECKBECKBECKBECKBECKBECK

Beck.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
Now that the record companies are dying off there is a good chance that more genres than just Rock and Country will become popular. People are no longer listening to big corporations to get their taste in music, so I see an opportunity for music to diversify. Over the next decade I would not be surprised to see more music genres popping up and becoming popular including old styles like Jazz and Classical or something entirely new like video game music.