• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How do you play your RPGs!!

Feops

MBTI Type
INTx
I'll usually play through a video game RPG twice. The first time I go at a fairly steady pace to hit all the plot points, usually underleveled, undergeared, with whatever party is the most entertaining, etc. I like the challenge. The second time I wander around to pick up all the side areas, secrets, good items, and use different characters that usually work better together.

In pen and paper rpgs it really depends - there are so many aspects to a character. Assuming it's a not a hack and slash campaign I really like having a diverse character - my two most favorite d&d characters were a thief/mage (sneaky++) and a cleric/mage (sooo many spells).

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
When I have more autonomy, I will probably try the dice, paper, real people thing. (My poor husband will be further perplexed and mildly embarrassed by my geekiness, I'm sure. Who knew you could be geekier than an INTP?)

Right now, I'm not sure how I play. I only play WoW and keep mostly to my main toon. I am always working on improving my gear and learning how to be a better part of whatever team I'm on, though I am by no means hard core. Normally, I heal and it is an enjoyable challenge.

I am adequate for my current level of play, but eventually, I'd like to move up to raiding.

I play once a week for about 3-4 hours over skype (by voice) with my rpg group. So it's possible with less autonomy!

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
I hoard items and never use them no matter how dire the situation.

Real example:
Fuck! I'm low on HP and MP, maybe I should use an elixir...I have six, but I might need one later!

*reality check: I'm fighting the final boss*

...*uses the damned elixir.*

forzen

MBTI Type
INTJ

Real example:
Fuck! I'm low on HP and MP, maybe I should use an elixir...I have six, but I might need one later!

That's me! I haven't played any rpg since FFXII so rpg's are slowly loosing its appeal, but probably buy next FF since I already made plan to buy it 2 years ago LOL. I think i'm done with games after that though and I'm not going to even get the next system.

The Decline

(☞゚∀゚)☞
MBTI Type
?
Enneagram
5w4
I try to explore the surrounding areas as much as possible even though the plotline would like me to follow its leads instead. That way I get familiar with the world and also grind a bit ahead of the curve.

Also, could I bother you folks for some PS1 rpg suggestions? I'm playing Suikoden II atm and I fucking looooove it. :D

One Day

MBTI Type
INfP
Enneagram
5w4
I have this habit of trying to pick every single option at once. For example if I have the option to save some blah blah blah town or help destroy it I end up making 2 - 3 save files just to see what each option leads to. Then I choose which outcome I'm more satisfied with and delete the rest of the files. This leads to a wasted half hour of playing the same scene over and over again.

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
I try to explore the surrounding areas as much as possible even though the plotline would like me to follow its leads instead. That way I get familiar with the world and also grind a bit ahead of the curve.

Also, could I bother you folks for some PS1 rpg suggestions? I'm playing Suikoden II atm and I fucking looooove it. :D

Suikoden I, of course. Suikoden II is actually my #2 favorite video game because it's so ridiculously awesome.

Tales of Destiny is also a good J-RPG.

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
How do you develop your character in an RPG? For me, I like to level the main character to max level and just kill everything in one hit.

I did this with Final Fantasy III when i got to level 64 before the opera house when the normal level was only level 15 I believe. Also, I was level 99 before reaching the second world which caused all your character you get to be level 99 lol...

So, how do you develop your character in an RPG.

God damnit dude, that's Final Fantasy VI. Get your numbers right.

forzen

MBTI Type
INTJ
God damnit dude, that's Final Fantasy VI. Get your numbers right.

I played it before anyone knew it was VI, i'm old school like that :D.

[youtube="C5e6eG6bXAQ"]YouTube - StarCraft: Pylon Mix[/youtube]

This thread needs "additional pylon."

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
When I'm developing my party/characters I like to experiment with different combinations or builds that seem unorthodox to see what I can make come out of it. I don't try to max out levels or anything. In fact I prefer to try to beat the game with out having to take time to grind up a few levels. If I do grind it's becaue I want to unlock some special class or ability or something just to see how it works.

The way I play through the game depends on the game itself. If the story is good I usually focus on following the main plotline. If there are lots of neat places to explore then I'll check them out instead. If it's a really good game I'll see what I can do on my own, and then I'll play through the game a second time looking at a walkthrough so I can look at all the stuff I missed the first time.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I like to play hardcore mode or the most difficult difficulty and play without cheats and sufficiently nerfing myself by allowing my character to develop in a certain way if the game allows for non linear gameplay.

I enjoy being stuck on a tough part, trying to come up with workable strategies to get further in a game. If I don't challenge myself in a game or a game isn't too much of a challenge, I get bored within hours and the game gets shelved. :(

Most games are too linear to my liking though. There aren't many games like sierra's Arcanum, and if there are, I need to know about them. :p

Kra

Black Magic Buzzard
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
For me, the fun is in finding the perfect build within the confines of the game's system. As one might guess, I'm not the best at actually "role-playing."

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Depends on the kind of RPG.

If it's a single-player, I usually take the tactic of going through just enough story progression to get me to where I can go and start getting all the super-powerful weapons and armor. I'm the kind of person who does all the side-quests forever, gets the best gear possible in the game, and THEN goes and beats the game.

Zelda: Ocarina of Time, for example, I did not beat for two years. And when I did finally progress past the first two temples as adult Link, I beat the Water Temple boss with the Big Goron Sword, Nayru's Love, and Hover Boots.

If it's an MMO, I tend to do a mixture of questing/levelling and exploring with a little bit of sitting around watching the environment thrown in there. At some point in every MMO journey of mine, I try to get to the high-level places when I'm only a mid-level at best. I usually die a lot, but get to the super-hard dungeon that requires a raid to beat. And then I return to my guild/friends and "magically" reveal the best way to get to the dungeon even though I've never raided it before. :D When I get to the level cap, I usually find myself trying to get the best gear possible even if I don't really use it for anything. (There's an unfortunate trend in MMOs that the best gear stat-wise also is usually the best looking gear.) Eventually, I get bored just before completing my goal of the "best gear evar!11!!" and end up quitting or spending a lot of time sitting around doing nothing or working the market trying to get rich.

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I got over my WoW fad by going on a server where I could buy the t1-t7 or whatever gear you needed in the set with cash so I didn't have to instance for frigging ever to get it. But then I used to be a big time RPG person, trying to resist, resist I tells ya!

Feops

MBTI Type
INTx
Most games are too linear to my liking though. There aren't many games like sierra's Arcanum, and if there are, I need to know about them. :p

Arcanum was a gem. A bit lacking in polish but still interesting.

Fallout 2 is probably the least linear RPG I've ever played. There is a general plot path that leads you from place to place, sure, but you could walk right from the starter area to the end area and beat it. You're rather unlikely to figure this out the first time through, but there's nothing to stop you if you were curious and lucky enough.

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
I enjoy torturing myself by trying to do things way too early e.g. Doing every hunt as they happened to show up in FFXII.

It's frustrating as fuck, but the sense of accomplishment is worth it.

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram

Real example:

hah I do this too. Save the best for last (or never if I forget I even have it and never use it).

Lacey

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Real example:

Yep, me too. I also do this type of thing in real life...
I have this habit of trying to pick every single option at once. For example if I have the option to save some blah blah blah town or help destroy it I end up making 2 - 3 save files just to see what each option leads to. Then I choose which outcome I'm more satisfied with and delete the rest of the files. This leads to a wasted half hour of playing the same scene over and over again.
Games with multiple story lines/endings drive me nuts because I want to see absolutely EVERYTHING.

So...yeah. I'm a story-oriented type of person. I'm not worried so much about maxing out stats and completing the game 100% just to say I did it. (Not that there's anything wrong with doing that.) I usually only do sidequests if there's an interesting story to go along with it (or if the item you get is really super helpful). My brother is the type who wants to complete everything up to the bestiary. I'm not patient enough for stuff like that...I want to move on to the next sto-I mean game.