• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Nick Drake

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
Anyone like his music? I fell in love with his voice years ago and love listening to him around this time of year.

I was watching a documentary about him yesterday called "A Stranger Among Us". It was fairly interesting and of course had me in tears at the end! My INTJ Husband was laughing at me. :tongue10: He wasn't laughing in an negative way as I think he finds it endearing. Although I hate when he catches me crying over something sad whether it's a movie or something on TV.

I love all his songs, but my favorite is still "Northern Sky" and my favorite album is the first one I bought called "Five Leaves Left".

I believe that he was an INFP and possibly homosexual which may have led to even further confusion and depression.

Nick Drake - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Splittet

Wannabe genius
MBTI Type
INTJ
I love that guy! Emotional music with a mood and feel I really love. I think you are right about your reading of him as an INFP.

Snowey1210

MBTI Type
ENTP
Great Artist. He's one of the few musicians that really hit a nerve with me. My favourite album of his is Pink Moon. I love how it's pretty much just him and his acoustic guitar. I like him because I think you can tell he meant what he sang.

SolitaryPenguin

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Pink Moon was my wedding song, and although I am divorced, I will definitely refer him to my next wedding planner.

I love Nick Drake :)

Sture

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Hah
I was watching a documentary about him yesterday called "A Stranger Among Us". It was fairly interesting and of course had me in tears at the end!

I saw that one too, it was very informative but not nearly as beautiful as an other one called "A Skin Too Few". It was made by a Dutch filmmaker I think and the whole thing perfectly captures the essence and spirit of his music and himself. It is informative and at the same time in style and spirit like an extension of his music. Not many things can bring me to tears but this one was on the verge and I can't imagine what it'll do to you. You have to se it. It's on YouTube.
As with his music I'm careful not to ware it out and I have only watched it in its entirety once. I would like to hear what you thought of it after you see it.

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
Thank you. I am watching it now.

A Skin Too Few Part One

Part Two
Part Three
Part Four
Part Five

A Stranger Among Us
Part One-
Part Two
Part Three
Part Four

I feel as though A Skin Too Few may have been the docu I saw instead of A Stranger Among Us but I could be mistaken. I likely couldn't remember the name of the program and googled "Nick Drake Documentary" and it pulled up Stranger. I remember the way his sister described walking into his room and seeing his long legs prior to discovering he was dead.

I think what his music does is wrap you up and take you to places you've always wanted to visit but never knew how to get there until he came along. The first album I purchased was Five Leaves Left and I played it over and over and each time I listen to it I feel as though I've been whisked away to a soothing place. If I'm unhappy, his music comforts me and hearing his sister speak about how pleased he would be if he knew his music made people happy made me smile.

The end of A Skin Too Few is the most difficult to watch because it's a family video of them as children and being a mother the number one thing you want for your children, is for them to be happy. It made me wonder how his mother felt when he died. All that we sacrifice as parents to ensure our children have what they need and are happy, only to one day discover your sons lifeless body seems so tragic. Also the way they didn't hear his footsteps heading back to his room after having cereal in the kitchen the night before, so sad. :(

I love his Mothers poem and her song was hauntingly beautiful.
THE SHELL

Living grows ‘round us like a skin
to shut away the outer desolation,
for if we clearly marked the furthest deep,
we should be dead
long years before the grave.

But turning around within the home, this shell
of worry, discontent, and narrow joy,
we grow and flourish, and rarely see the outside dark
that would confound our eyes.

Some break the shell.

I think that there are those who push their fingers
through the brittle walls and make a hole,
and through this cruel slit, stare out
across the cinders of the world
with naked eyes. They look both out and in,
knowing themselves, and too much else beside. Molly Drake

Sture

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Hah
The end of A Skin Too Few is the most difficult to watch because it's a family video of them as children and being a mother the number one thing you want for your children, is for them to be happy. It made me wonder how his mother felt when he died. All that we sacrifice as parents to ensure our children have what they need and are happy, only to one day discover your sons lifeless body seems so tragic. Also the way they didn't hear his footsteps heading back to his room after having cereal in the kitchen the night before, so sad. :(

The psychology of suicide, committer and family, is (at least to me) certainly a very interesting thing. I have some personal experience of it and have thought a lot about the issue. Something that changed my perspective, surprised and enlightened me though was Eric Steel's documentary "The Bridge". It's about people who in 2004 jumped off the Golden Gate Bridge and their families. The film really provides rare insight and is also a touching account of the tragic fates of the jumpers. It's maybe not that easy to get hold of the film, but if you see it I'd really recommend it.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
The psychology of suicide, committer and family, is (at least to me) certainly a very interesting thing. I have some personal experience of it and have thought a lot about the issue. Something that changed my perspective, surprised and enlightened me though was Eric Steel's documentary "The Bridge". It's about people who in 2004 jumped off the Golden Gate Bridge and their families. The film really provides rare insight and is also a touching account of the tragic fates of the jumpers. It's maybe not that easy to get hold of the film, but if you see it I'd really recommend it.

There is still speculation as to whether or not his death was a suicide. He was clearly depressed, but his marijuana, antidepressant, and sleeping pill use was really high toward the end. An accidental overdose is certainly not out of the equation.

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
There is still speculation as to whether or not his death was a suicide. He was clearly depressed, but his marijuana, antidepressant, and sleeping pill use was really high toward the end. An accidental overdose is certainly not out of the equation.
No one will ever really know for sure, but his sister believes it wasn't an accident.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I love Nick Drake, too.

It is difficult for me to listen to him, sometimes, though.