• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Panic! At the Disco

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Ne argument: Oh well let me just waste endless hours of my trivial life on proving to the world I'm l33t. Oh FUK MY STOVE IS ON FIRE!.

This would be so much more effective if l33t actually had any meaning.:huh:

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Infuriating is a subjective term. I'm not impressed by big names. Using names of famous musicians is not necessarily more impressive in terms of song writing. I'm very impressed that Panic! writes their own songs, even if Seal isn't involved. That's what real musicians do. I love the variety of instruments and styles of music that they employ. Plus, I find their lyrics to be part of the appeal. To me the lyrics are poetic, witty, and clever... not "infuriating." Urie's use of extensive vocabulary is quite frankly refreshing.

I love Brandon Urie's voice. I think his voice is intensely emotional and subtley sexual. He can actually do quite a few different things with his voice, what you call "constant changes in pitch and speed," gives his songs great energy and variety - and on Pretty.Odd. (which you obviously haven't listened to all the way through) his voice is consistently melodic. Again, you're being subjective. Sure, Usher has a nice voice. But it doesn't make his music any easier for me to listen to.

This is an extremely emotional appraisal for what is supposed to be an objective argument.

You're so right. I like the Panic! at the Disco song soooooo much better. It makes my panties wet. Unlike the Usher song, which has merely been played to death on Top 40 radio.

I'm not saying Usher is worse, because he's obviously talented, but I like Panic! at the Disco much better, and for me Usher's music just blends into a sea of boring R&B....and, no, it's not because I don't like R&B as a rule. I love Al Green, for example.

It's not that your argument isn't effective, either. Of course you have a well-constructed argument for why you subjectively prefer Usher.

Objective argument: FAIL. :yes:

It's more objective than you want to believe.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
It's more objective than you want to believe.

Much like the papers that I construct for my literature classes, there are certainly objective elements in your defense of Usher, or any critique of art for that matter. Never-the-less, outside of the possibility that Panic! at the Disco completely lacks formal aspects of musical composition (which clearly they do not) there is no way to objectively prove that Usher is superior - and even if it were possible, your argument was so laden with your own aesthetic and emotional preferences that it would be impossible to discern it as such.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
No, they don't all sound like straight copies of other pop rock bands. You just don't know enough about the production of pop rock to know the difference. They're not unoriginal; you're uneducated.

Umm no it's an album. It's not supposed to be one song.

It's totally up to you what you like and don't like, but it's a mistake to declare that things you don't like are bad just because you don't like them.

By the way, you can cut the condescending crap about how PATD is "enough for me", as if I don't listen to anything or appreciate anything in music beyond simple pop rock. I resent your ignorant implication that pop rock is "all I need" because I'm some kind of simpleton incapable of appreciating anything more complex. I derive most of my living from playing and teaching music in a variety of styles, so take your idiotic assumption and shove it.

I don't just listen to pop rock. I listen to a lot of different music from a variety of genres and I studied jazz bass in college, so no, I don't listen to just pop rock because it's "enough for me"--I'm just capable of judging music in context and not declaring it "bad" because it's not what I'm used to.

Then what exactly is it that makes PATD bad?

This is outrageously, hilariously, extraordinarily wrong. The fact that you'd even suggests this indicates a complete lack of comprehension of the process of creating, recording and performing music. What a fucking joke!

Who the hell writes music on paper anymore? I'd do yourself a favor and quit talking out your ass, because it's obvious to any actual musicians that may happen to be reading this thread that you're entirely uninformed on the topic.

:doh:

Ok seriously, I would just quit while you're only somewhat behind before you completely destroy yourself. 100% of music, yes ALL music, comes from recombining the same pieces into a different combination--there is no completely original idea. Every melody, every chord progression, every time signature has been used and reused to death hundreds of times. John Lennon, widely regarded as one of the best songwriters of all time, declared that you write a song by taking a song you like and then changing the pieces of it. I guess John Lennon wasn't very original, by your standards.

If you think PATD sounds exactly like every other pop rock band, you don't listen to pop rock and don't have the tools to evaluate it properly in context. The imagination comes mostly in the studio arrangement, about which I'm 100% positive based on your profoundly ignorant postings here that you know absolutely nothing about.

Most pop music is bad because it sells well? Strike twelve!

More inaccurate, ignorant and unsubstantiated garbage. You've just declared all musical performances by anyone other than the original composer to be soulless and irrelevant--I wonder if the entire fucking fields of classical and jazz would be interested to know that they're all soulless, and that nothing they do contains any artistry because they didn't write it.

:doh: :doh: :doh:

100% of commercially released music, whether by major or indie labels, is mixed and mastered on a variety of systems designed specifically to sound as good on as many different sound systems as possible.

This is an absolute industry standard, so you've actually just claimed that 100% of professionally released music "sounds like a plastic carbage [sic] bag."

You've contradicted yourself and demonstrated absolutely zero knowledge of this topic enough times now that I wonder if anyone is even still reading. Have you ever been inside a studio? Do you have any idea at all how any of this works, or are you just making shit up to justify your anti-pop bias?

Pop music requires very significant talent to be done effectively because it's an extraordinarily competitive market. You're not a pop star because you suck at songwriting.

100% of all professionally recorded vocals are professionally mastered, overdubbed, layered, effected, EQ'd, panned and mixed to sound ideal. The modern conception of an album is based on creating an imaginary ideal, not on accurately representing the live show. In the real world today, the live show serves as a feeble imitation of the idealized perfection of the record, not the other way around. Have you even heard a new album in the last 15 years? How could you not know this?

It's not soulless just because you don't like it, and you're not in any kind of position to be telling anyone they don't know what they're talking about!

I'm more incredulous than pissed off, frankly. Virtually every single thing you said about writing, recording and performing music in this post was patently ridiculous.

I can't even wait to hear what your definition of "soulless" is! :laugh:

Judging music from a so-called "more broader [sic] understanding" doesn't mean you dislike more music. If anything it's the opposite--if your understanding is really that broad, then you like a lot more music because you're capable of evaluating it in context.

A broader understanding of music is conducive to enjoying more music, not less. Thinking that most music is bad is a symptom of poor understanding and personal genre bias, not educated enlightenment. How ridiculous.

i am the best and i know all, you are nothing. you dont know me so you cant tell me that this isnt true.

i have studied real music for about 13 years, i know more about music than you do. you dont know what i know, so you cant say this isnt true.

dont talk about things that you dont know enything about or you will look like an ass!

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
i am the best and i know all, you are nothing. you dont know me so you cant tell me that this isnt true.

i have studied real music for about 13 years, i know more about music than you do. you dont know what i know, so you cant say this isnt true.

dont talk about things that you dont know enything about or you will look like an ass!

He's a professional musician and a music teacher. He can't reply to this because someone banned him, but I will.

I am so sick of your musical pretention.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
He's a professional musician and a music teacher. He can't reply to this because someone banned him, but I will.

I am so sick of your musical pretention.

you cant honestly think that i was serious with that last post :D

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
This is absolutely fucking awesome.

[YOUTUBE="o5aAIBQzGCo"]:heart:[/YOUTUBE]

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Nice, marmalade :).

I loved when The Dresden Dolls toured with them. Their musical styles are different, but their taste is similar. This was what they threw together during that time:
[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjl3b-KDne0"]Dolls vs. Panic[/YOUTUBE]

Liason

I'm more offensive in person!
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I only liked the first album. The second, perhaps because it was so very different, was unliked by myself.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I only liked the first album. The second, perhaps because it was so very different, was unliked by myself.

I strongly prefer the first album, though I do like the second.

Liason

I'm more offensive in person!
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Alas, someone that can tell the difference between the two no? :]

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I heard their biggest hit on a pop station a few years ago, when it was playing constantly. I thought it was good, but I guess you'll disregard that because I haven't heard the albums. (snicker) My Chemical Romance is also good, though that singer's voice really annoys me. How far does he stretch out his jaw to sing that way?