• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Panic! At the Disco

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I think they're completely underrated.

Discuss.

Be warned that I won't take your opinion seriously if you haven't listened to both of their albums from beginning to end.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I won't deny that they probs have a unique artistic edge, which is respectable, because there are so many 'clone' bands these days,

But personally, I'm not a fan. Only because I'm not into that kind of music.

Nonetheless, I think I'll agree with you.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
But personally, I'm not a fan. Only because I'm not into that kind of music.

Well, what I find interesting about them is that their two albums are so different. It's one of the qualities I admire about them as a band, they collectively seem to have a great deal of actual musical talent.

Their two albums both also flow together cohesively like a story, it isn't just a bunch of singles that happen to be slapped together on the same CD.

Of course I'm really a sucker for the use of classical instruments like piano and violin which they incorporate into some of their songs, and just the whole slightly experimental feel of some of the album tracks.

However, I know that music is a personal thing and different people like different things. The fact that I happen to love the sound of Brendon Urie's voice, for example, or that I think the titles of the songs on their first album are amusing, is purely subjective. I don't really have a "type" of music - my taste in music is pretty ecclectic. I've just seen Panic! at the Disco unfairly dismissed as another "emo" band, and the comparisons to Fall Out Boy make me cringe.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
i can hear good music even if i wouldnt personally like it and i think this band is a piece of pop poop. they simply doesent have what a good band needs. i can understand if some people who like what they say, like the emo sound and doesent look music in so critical way likes it.

sorry but im going to have to laugh at you a little :laugh:

do you mean musical talent as good at playing instruments and writing good original music or something totally else? i only heard theyr hit songs + few randoms and based on them, they sound like some mediocre high-school band what comes to playing instruments and seriously if you would listen more of real music instead pop like this you would notice that the band has nearly nothing original in them

sorry again for being honest, i think ill run away so i wont get slapped :D

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Pretty much every song I've ever heard from them except "Nine in the Afternoon" has been awful. The singer has no idea how to sing properly. As Mike Myers would say, he puts "the emPHAsis on the wrong sylLABle." He is like a faggy young Bruce Springsteen, trying to fit twice as many words into a song as it should have. The songcraft is generally shoddy, too. They add studio flourishes rather than writing strong hooks, and the guitar sound is muddy and indistinct. The finished product is a bunch of shrieking, pseudo-literary crap.

P.S. They also have some of the worst song titles of any band in history.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
i can hear good music even if i wouldnt personally like it and i think this band is a piece of pop poop. they simply doesent have what a good band needs. i can understand if some people who like what they say, like the emo sound and doesent look music in so critical way likes it.

sorry but im going to have to laugh at you a little :laugh:

do you mean musical talent as good at playing instruments and writing good original music or something totally else? i only heard theyr hit songs + few randoms and based on them, they sound like some mediocre high-school band what comes to playing instruments and seriously if you would listen more of real music instead pop like this you would notice that the band has nearly nothing original in them

sorry again for being honest, i think ill run away so i wont get slapped :D

If you're going to laugh at me based purely on hearing their radio hits out of context of their albums, your opinion is totally disregarded.

Brendon Urie plays like seven different instruments.

I listen to lots of real music. It's my turn to laugh at you: my dad was a progressive jazz musician! I went to his concerts in utero! I also play the piano and took ballet for eleven years, so I'm quite familiar with classical music.

I listen rock, pop, blue grass, jazz, you name it. :hi:

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Pretty much every song I've ever heard from them except "Nine in the Afternoon" has been awful. The singer has no idea how to sing properly. As Mike Myers would say, he puts "the emPHAsis on the wrong sylLABle." He is like a faggy young Bruce Springsteen, trying to fit twice as many words into a song as it should have. The songcraft is generally shoddy, too. They add studio flourishes rather than writing strong hooks, and the guitar sound is muddy and indistinct. The finished product is a bunch of shrieking, pseudo-literary crap.

P.S. They also have some of the worst song titles of any band in history.

I take it you think guys in eye liner are "faggy"? I think it's hot. But that's got nothing to do with their music.

I also think the song titles are GREAT and I love Brendon's voice, and I already stated how subjective that is so I won't argue with you.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
I take it you think guys in eye liner are "faggy"? I think it's hot. But that's got nothing to do with their music.

No, eyeliner is fine. David Bowie, Marc Bolan, Brett Anderson, Boy George. . . some of my favorite male vocalists. Brendon Urie is faggy because he just whines and shrieks. He doesn't even make it interesting like Brian Molko.

I also think the song titles are GREAT and I love Brendon's voice, and I already stated how subjective that is so I won't argue with you.

The song titles are long, pretentious, and vapid. You can love his singing all you like, but it's not very good. The voice itself isn't bad, but it's over the top and stylized in all the wrong ways.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
No, eyeliner is fine. David Bowie, Marc Bolan, Brett Anderson, Boy George. . . some of my favorite male vocalists. Brendon Urie is faggy because he just whines and shrieks. He doesn't even make it interesting like Brian Molko.

The song titles are long, pretentious, and vapid. You can love his singing all you like, but it's not very good. The voice itself isn't bad, but it's over the top and stylized in all the wrong ways.

There's a good reason why these tables are numbered honey, you just haven't thought of it yet.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
There's a good reason why these tables are numbered honey, you just haven't thought of it yet.

Yeah, that's a good example of a terrible song title. In fact, the chances of a song with a title like "There's a Good Reason Why These Tables Are Numbered Honey, You Just Haven't Thought of It Yet" being any good are practically nil.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yeah, that's a good example of a terrible song title. In fact, the chances of a song with a title like "There's a Good Reason Why These Tables Are Numbered Honey, You Just Haven't Thought of It Yet" being any good are practically nil.

Have you ever actually heard it?

Incidentally, I wonder if there is some biological component in females liking to hear males interchangeably whispering and shreiking.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yes, of course I have heard the song. That's how I know it sucks.

Do you hate the second album just as much as the first? Just curious. I know some people prefer either the first album OR the second album. I like both for different reasons.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Do you hate the second album just as much as the first? Just curious. I know some people prefer either the first album OR the second album. I like both for different reasons.

I found the second album to be a slight improvement, but I still don't like it much.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I found the second album to be a slight improvement, but I still don't like it much.

Huh, I think it some of the songs on it are extraordinarily creative and original pop songs. Pas De Cheval? By the Sea? She Had the World?

Northern Downpour is also very pretty.

Do you just dislike the entire "emo" genre by default - do you also hate My Chemical Romance and Thursday?

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Huh, I think it some of the songs on it are extraordinarily creative and original pop songs. Pas De Cheval? By the Sea? She Had the World?

Northern Downpour is also very pretty.

"Pas De Cheval" is mediocre. Has some horns and sounds better than they usually do, but it doesn't do much.

And isn't it "Behind the Sea?" That song is pretty good. Very unlike their first album.

Do you just dislike the entire "emo" genre by default - do you also hate My Chemical Romance and Thursday?

I like My Chemical Romance and dislike Thursday, but most of the bands who would fall under the emo umbrella are pretty bad-to-atrocious.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
"Pas De Cheval" is mediocre. Has some horns and sounds better than they usually do, but it doesn't do much.

And isn't it "Behind the Sea?" That song is pretty good. Very unlike their first album.

Yeah, it is Behind the Sea. I meant to type that. I do that sometimes - type the wrong word. I'm careless and type very fast.

I just don't see how you could actually hear many of the songs on Pretty.Odd. and say that Brendon Urie doesn't have a good voice, even if it doesn't do for you what it does for me. :devil:

I like My Chemical Romance and dislike Thursday, but most of the bands who would fall under the emo umbrella are pretty bad-to-atrocious.

I like My Chemical Romance a lot, too.

ayoitsStepho

Twerking & Lurking
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Sadly, I only own and have listened to their first cd.
I was a Panic! At the Disco fan.
But I've only heard of the "nine in the afternoon" song from the new album...I should really try to listen to it. I have no idea why I havent.

But I actually enjoy their music very much :D

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Sadly, I only own and have listened to their first cd.
I was a Panic! At the Disco fan.
But I've only heard of the "nine in the afternoon" song from the new album...I should really try to listen to it. I have no idea why I havent.

But I actually enjoy their music very much :D

Yay! Finally someone else who appreciates them! :wubbie:

ayoitsStepho

Twerking & Lurking
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Yay! Finally someone else who appreciates them! :wubbie:

Well of coarse! I was in love with them when they first came out. :wubbie: