• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Live VS Studio

Skyward

Badoom~
MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
9w1
I was just at a Stratovarius concert, my first one, and had a few thoughts over the course of it. There is definitely a difference between the entertainment of live shows versus listening to the music ('Duh' you might say :D).

The first is that it seems much more based on the 'show' than the music, although the music is the main reason people come.

Another is the sociality. I met a few people and quickly became friends with them despite the age gap (Me being 18 and them being mid 20s) and it made the whole thing much more enjoyable. You can listen to an album with a friend, but it isn't like going to a show and just letting loose*.

Also, large venues versus small venues is a different paradigm. Large ones, like in stadiums, are pretty impersonal so I basically hope the music is good otherwise it feels like a waste of money (unless they are good performers and you have a good seat).

Please discuss your opinions and ideas or whatever about these differences, I'm interested in what y'all gotta say!

(SillySapienne, I'm looking at you and your 'SP Binge' thread :D)

Kingfisher

full of love
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
yeah, Skyward, i love albums and live shows for entirely different reasons.
with albums i love feeling the music, and getting lost in it.

but you are totally right, live shows are all about the performance. some of the best live shows i have seen had performaces that were NOTHING like the album version. with live shows i love the intensity of the perfomance, getting in sync with that, regardless of how different from the studio version it is.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
music is allways better live

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
music is allways better live

100% wrong. I've been to hundreds of concerts in my lifetime, and very few bands are significantly better live than they are on record. The White Stripes are a great example. Several very good albums, very mediocre 45-minute set live.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'm going to take this extremely rare opportunity to agree with Pure Mercury. Some bands actually sound better in the studio, and I'd much rather listen to a clean recording of a particular song rather than a distorted or flawed live version.

Live shows can be fun. Some bands sound the same live. Some don't. Some sound great live. Others don't. I don't get the whole idea that music *always* sounds better live. I sometimes wonder if these people are using senses other than their ears to make this judgement call.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
I'm going to take this extremely rare opportunity to agree with Pure Mercury. Some bands actually sound better in the studio, and I'd much rather listen to a clean recording of a particular song rather than a distorted or flawed live version.

Live shows can be fun. Some bands sound the same live. Some don't. Some sound great live. Others don't. I don't get the whole idea that music *always* sounds better live. I sometimes wonder if these people are using senses other than their ears to make this judgement call.

The live set is the Achilles' heel of many younger bands these days. It's very easy and cheap to make a well-recorded song in this day and age, so you really just need moderate songwriting and instrumental talent to make a good single. You need a lot more going on for a truly memorable live performance. I would point to The White Stripes (as I mentioned earlier) and Radiohead as two great bands whose lives shows I have seen that have been underwhelming. Conversely, Pearl Jam (a band I don't particularly like) put on tremendous live shows.

Kingfisher

full of love
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
yeah, Pure Mercury, Pearl Jam did put on consistently great shows.
i have not seen them live in quite a while. do you know if they still tour? still rock?

Red Hot Chili Peppers were very hit or miss with their live shows, back when i saw them. when they hit they nailed it, though.

AC DC was maybe the best live band i saw. they really blew live shows out of the water.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
100% wrong. I've been to hundreds of concerts in my lifetime, and very few bands are significantly better live than they are on record. The White Stripes are a great example. Several very good albums, very mediocre 45-minute set live.

its a bad band if they cant play good live :yes: . imo live music is the real thing and music made in studio is just a poor and easy alternative for the real thing

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
its a bad band if they cant play good live :yes: . imo live music is the real thing and music made in studio is just a poor and easy alternative for the real thing

That's an extremely narrow view of music. Is Pet Sounds "a poor and easy alternative" because Brian Wilson stopped playing live? The Beatles post-Revolver? Any electronica artist who doesn't have live instrumentation? Motown records that were basically built on an assembly line?

BlueinGreen

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5

Eh, there are things done in studio that just can't be replicated live. How many live performances do you get of a Brian Eno album, for instance? And what about the at-least double-tracked instrumentals of pretty much every rock band since the 70's? There is a level of sound quality and fullness that can only be achieved in studio, and that makes being a great live band and having great albums two different qualities, and there are a handful of bands that have both of those things.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
I love live music, but recording gives the musicians a lot of options,and that makes it difficult to reproduce the experience live.

But there is something to be said for showing up with a guitar and amp, and really owning it!