• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

NFL

The Third Rider

MBTI Type
ENFj
Newsflash. This is 2008. Did the Patriots and Jaguars play this season? If they did, I certainly missed it. If they didn't, your argument is 100% irrelevant. (It's irrelevant)

Go ahead and only worry about the Colts. I hope the Patriots do the same.

The Patriots are praying for perfect weather. They're a dome team that doesn't play in a dome. We all know what happens to dome teams in the playoffs.

We are a dome team? Since when? For your information we have been a pass first run second team or YEARS that does NOT mean we are dome team (that must be news for the Players up in Foxborough I better send them the memo). You know why we don't run the ball? Because no team has been able to stop the passing game, that doesn't mean that we don't have a running game, trust me we have won with a lot WORSE run game and with a lot worst WR corps. You also say my argument is irrelevant because I gave my opinion on the subject of how the Jags match up with the Pats yet last time I checked your argument that they are going to beat us is pure speculation as well, so I don't see how your argument is any more relevant than mine is. Regardless I never said the Jags are a bad team (congrats to them), they are really good but they IMO they don't have the best shot at beating us. If anything Tennessee has a better shot in my view.

Also I predicted both the Jags and Seahawks winning today. So tomorrow the Chargers and Giants are going to win.*crosses fingers*

Last edited:

Zergling

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ExTJ
The transitive property does not apply to football. I know that may come as a surprise to many of you, but it's true.

The Jags were resting players against the Texans. They had absolutely nothing to play for. The same as the Colts, Cowboys, etc.

Newsflash. This is 2008. Did the Patriots and Jaguars play this season? If they did, I certainly missed it. If they didn't, your argument is 100% irrelevant. (It's irrelevant)

Go ahead and only worry about the Colts. I hope the Patriots do the same.

The Patriots are praying for perfect weather. They're a dome team that doesn't play in a dome. We all know what happens to dome teams in the playoffs.

You do realize that:

A: This is about football predictions, not something all that important overall.

B: Sports game predictions are an area that people routinely get wrong, even people with experience in them.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
seahawksil0.png

The Third Rider

MBTI Type
ENFj
Guess I was right about the 4 teams that were going win the wild cards.:happy: So now that I am certified to pick winners:)smile:) my locks of the week are:
Patriots over Jaguars
Colts over Chargers
Cowboys over Giants
Seahawks over Packers

*crosses fingers again*

MBTI Type
INTJ
I pick:

Patriots over Jaguars
Colts over Chargers
Giants over Cowboys
Packers over Seahawks

Although I'm nervous about the Packers/Seahawks game. That's the one I'm least confident about.

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
yeah i'm not really sure if the cowboys are going to be able to pull off a win against the giants.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I suspect a Cowboys win, myself.

Don't care much for any of the teams left but assuming the Pats make it to the super bowl, I'm pulling for Green Bay to be there too. Hoping for GB to take it all.

P.S. A job well done for the Chargers today. Damn good game.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I was assuming the Colts and Cowboys would have wins today. I was wrong twice.

LadyJaye

Scream down the boulevard
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I suspect a Cowboys win, myself.

Don't care much for any of the teams left but assuming the Pats make it to the super bowl, I'm pulling for Green Bay to be there too. Hoping for GB to take it all.

P.S. A job well done for the Chargers today. Damn good game.

YAY! Let's go Green Bay! The Patriots cheat! BOOOOO!

The Third Rider

MBTI Type
ENFj
Well like I expected the Pats took down the Jags (again) and I made a mental error picking the Seahawks over the Packers. As far as the Colts losing, it was a surprise and the Cowboys.....well.........they suck.

My new Predictions are:

Pats over Chargers
Pack over G-Men

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
I apologize if my previous posts came across as too argumentative.

I'm hoping the Chargers win, simply because I'm tired of hearing Patriots' fans run their collective mouths, but I don't think it's going to happen. I actually think either the Packers or Giants have a better shot at beating the Patriots (both slim to none). I'm thinking the Patriots will go 19-0.

SolitaryPenguin

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
<--Pats fan.

I will try to silence my collective mouth about it though.

I am sort of feeling Giants/Pats Super Bowl, which will make me really uncomfortable living in NY but being a Pats fan.

MBTI Type
INTJ
While I wouldn't bet money on anyone but the Patriots winning, I think it's entirely possible they could be beaten. After all, three poor-to-middling teams gave them all they could handle. And two of them (Ravens and Eagles) probably lost because of their own mistakes, not because the Pats overwhelmed them.

If these mediocre teams could very nearly beat them, I don't see why a very good team couldn't finish the job. The Chargers and Packers actually match up okay against the Pats because they are two of the few teams that can match points with them.

That said, I'm picking the Pats and the Packers this weekend. I see the Pats/Chargers being competitive for about two and a half quarters and then the Pats pulling away to a double digit victory that makes the game seem less competitive than it was. I see the Packers/Giants as a potential classic, close right to the end. While I'm picking the Pack, I'd not be surprised at all if the Giants won.

SolitaryPenguin

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
I think I am going to have to stop watching football after this season. I get so stressed out during the playoffs, each weeks games get me all anxiety ridden.

Of course, I said this the past 5 years, so fat chance of that I guess.

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I think I am going to have to stop watching football after this season. I get so stressed out during the playoffs, each weeks games get me all anxiety ridden.

me too. i also always say i'm going to stop watching basketball, but then the mavs start playing too well, and i'm hooked again.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
While I wouldn't bet money on anyone but the Patriots winning, I think it's entirely possible they could be beaten. After all, three poor-to-middling teams gave them all they could handle. And two of them (Ravens and Eagles) probably lost because of their own mistakes, not because the Pats overwhelmed them.

If these mediocre teams could very nearly beat them, I don't see why a very good team couldn't finish the job. The Chargers and Packers actually match up okay against the Pats because they are two of the few teams that can match points with them.

That said, I'm picking the Pats and the Packers this weekend. I see the Pats/Chargers being competitive for about two and a half quarters and then the Pats pulling away to a double digit victory that makes the game seem less competitive than it was. I see the Packers/Giants as a potential classic, close right to the end. While I'm picking the Pack, I'd not be surprised at all if the Giants won.
Considering that the Pats have almost been beat a few times by mediocre teams, it almost seems providential that they have made it where they have being undefeated. They've made some impressive last minute comebacks and won by only a slim margin a number of other times. I think there could be a very good chance of them getting beat, they just seem too lucky for that to actually happen.

Here's to hoping that they do get beat. :raises glass:

MBTI Type
INTJ

You know, whenever my team is eliminated, I always think that I'm not going to watch the rest of the playoffs because I'm too disappointed. And then I always do. Damn NFL! Seriously though, I can't think of a consumer product with more loyalty and customer satisfaction than the NFL. I wonder if business schools use it as a model.

spartan26

MBTI Type
INTP
Damn NFL! Seriously though, I can't think of a consumer product with more loyalty and customer satisfaction than the NFL. I wonder if business schools use it as a model.
Football has so many things going for it. So many aspects that appeal to people's likes. People regardless of personality can find a team that they relate to. Whether it's the blue collar, roll up the sleeves to work mentality of the 1970's Steelers, the gun slinging rifle arm of John Elway leading the Broncos or good guys always wear white and never get dirty quickness of the Cowboys, you can have a soft spot in your heart for a team even if you're not that into football.

Like so many other monopolies, football, or the NFL's biggest threat could be themselves. I actually posted a thread on INTPCentral about the possibility of over saturation w/football (pro or college) now being televised on every day of the week. It was overwhelmingly ignored but I still can't help to wonder is a portion of what makes football so special the anticipation of gameday and how every game could matter?

I think some problems teams in most other leagues have had is linking sports with entertainment. While entertaining, sports are closer to being a religion than a form of entertainment. The Black Hole and AZ are packed houses based greatly on the faith that their team will start to win. The fact that the league has shown a steady increase in viewership for over the past decade w/out a franchise in the nation's second biggest market, while still beating all other sports in the US COMBINED is so cosmically impossible, you couldn't duplicated it in a lab.

The NFL's had great commissioners. The symbiotic relationship w/television has aided both. I think there is too much arrogance in the league that needs to be curtailed. I'm not talking about on the field taunting but the view from the owners and league office in demanding whatever they damn well want from cities, fans, players, networks and sponsors. The worst thing the league could do is go w/a let's bring in the Harvard MBA's to make things more "efficient" mindset or people will get angry and erosion could ensue. Granted that might be years in the making, but when Baby Boomers were kids would anyone ever suspected that boxing and horse racing being after thoughts in the American psyche?

MBTI Type
INTJ
Like so many other monopolies, football, or the NFL's biggest threat could be themselves. I actually posted a thread on INTPCentral about the possibility of over saturation w/football (pro or college) now being televised on every day of the week. It was overwhelmingly ignored but I still can't help to wonder is a portion of what makes football so special the anticipation of gameday and how every game could matter?

I could go on for DAYS about this. It's a particular pet peeve of mine. Part of what makes the NFL special is that teams play once a week on Sunday, and everyone's team is in action within a few hours of each other. (Monday Night Football being a notable exception, and a unique opportunity.) But now we have games on Saturdays and Thursdays, and the NFL is ditching what was special about it. When it's available on so many days, Sunday is just another day instead of "Football day". Scarcity makes something special.

It's the exact same thing the NFL did wrong in accepting ESPN's bid for MNF. In the short run they made a few dollars more, but in the long run they harmed MNF's stature as an institution by taking it off a major broadcast network. It's not special anymore, it doesn't have a buzz about it. Sadly, kids who came of age in this decade don't realize how exciting and special it used to be.