• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

American Gods - book discussion

TickTock

Mud and rain and chaos...
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
I read this recently and am interested in getting an Americans perspective. It was written by an Englishman, Neil Gaiman, who lives in America. The basic premise is that America being a cosmopolitan young nation has old world gods brought from other lands. Then there are the new gods who have risen out of technology. These two schools are at war and it is all played out with an ex convict recently released from Prison, as the central character. He essentially grounds the fantasy elements of the story. Shadow, as he is called, learns the goings on along with the reader and it doesn't always make sense. But the style of the author is very enjoyable, and makes a long book into a short read.

corey_vann

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8sx
I've tried reading this book a couple of times but never get passed the first meet up between odin and the other gods at the tourist attraction. I can comfortably admit the description of them teleporting or whatever was to difficult for me to follow. I've read all the Sandman comics and absolutely love them, as well as other comics written by Gaiman. I view him as a modern fairy-tale writer and he has an amazing imagination. I do think another reason I had such a difficult time with American Gods is because I had the same idea when I was 8, and I still haven't forgiven him for stealing my idea.

Sinmara

Not Your Therapist
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I love this book.

The backwards birth scene was creepy.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
it's a great book. it influenced me... I guess.. I keep meaning to go back to it and see how!

TickTock

Mud and rain and chaos...
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
I've tried reading this book a couple of times but never get passed the first meet up between odin and the other gods at the tourist attraction. I can comfortably admit the description of them teleporting or whatever was to difficult for me to follow. I've read all the Sandman comics and absolutely love them, as well as other comics written by Gaiman. I view him as a modern fairy-tale writer and he has an amazing imagination. I do think another reason I had such a difficult time with American Gods is because I had the same idea when I was 8, and I still haven't forgiven him for stealing my idea.

Yeah, I found that part to be the weakest in the whole book. It wasn't that it was too abstract but that it wasn't very well thought out. It's worth getting through if you enjoyed the other parts.