• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

wtf... how do people find 30 Rock to be funny?

Is 30 Rock funny?

• Total voters

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
And how do they have 22 Emmys??

I even like Tina Fey and Tracy Morgan, and Alec Baldwin is alright. But to me the characters are super annoying, the writing isn't witty or anything, it kind of just scatters from one lame attempt at a laugh to the next. I just watched the premiere of the new season and it was painful. The Office and Curb Your Enthusiasm deserve those Emmys.

Am I the only one who thinks it sucks? Does anyone that likes the show want to explain why you like it?

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
No, I watched it maybe 1.5 times and gave up. Everytime they win something I can't figure out why.

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I think the show is ridiculously clever. The writing is very sharp and there are a lot of blink-and-you'll-miss-it jokes. But I think that non-NYCers might not find the humor in it... A lot of it truly is local. But in general, it's satirical and most jokes poke fun at NYC stereotypes - the single 30-something NYC professional female, the loopy billionaire black comedian from humble beginnings, the aging disillusioned narcissistic starlet, the evil corporate exec and the amount of things they have their hands in (think Bloomberg), the small town southern boy who comes here to make it big in showbiz, etc...

Didn't like a lot of last season and the whole Salma Hayek arc, but overall, I think it's probably one of the best shows on tv right now. I don't give a damn about award shows and their politics, so I can't attest to why they won so many or why others didn't.

EDIT: and of course, it's a send off of behind the scenes SNL.

MonkeyGrass

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
I don't find it particularly funny, for all the reasons you mentioned.

syckkz

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w6
I watched it with a straight face.. tried again a week later thinking maybe it was just the episode that was lame.. again not even a smirk.

Not funny.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
ever heard differences in sense of humor? yeah somethings you find funny i might find retarded and/or lame. I hate things like this how can someone like beef falls in this catagory, I mean don't like it don't watch it. Don't be all like I have to build my self up artificially and think I'm better then someone who does not share the same taste in tv as me.

MBTI Type
INTJ
I think it's the funniest show on TV, hands down. I'm not sure I could explain why, though. Comedy is just one of those things that either hits you the right way or it doesn't. If I did make an attempt though, I'd probably go with what Jenocyde said, minus the NYC thing. I'm not sure that part is true...I think any media-savvy person would pick up on those jokes.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
Agreed with EffEm and jeno--it's one of my very favorite comedies. I can't imagine not finding it funny. It's very fast-paced and sort of surreal at times, and it walks the line between clever and outright silly, which is my favorite kind of comedy. Perhaps it's the industry references that a lot of folks don't relate to? I'd agree that last season was maybe not the best of them all, but a few eps of that season (Oprah!) were truly inspired. Check out the first season before you decide.

The Office and Curb Your Ethusiasm are very hit-and-miss for me. Sometimes I think they're hilarious, and other times, they annoy the crap out of me. I was watching a disc of CYE last night, and couldn't finish the whole disc. I was getting angry at how contrived the plots had to be to make Larry seem so put-upon. Everyone in L.A. yelled at him for no reason at some point.

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
If I did make an attempt though, I'd probably go with what Jenocyde said, minus the NYC thing. I'm not sure that part is true...I think any media-savvy person would pick up on those jokes.

I was just watching it with someone from Cali and they commented that this show must be "really big out here", so I guess that's where I got that from. I guess you're right but I just look at some of the sub-plotlines that wouldn't make sense to me unless I knew what a bodega was or why Queens is different than Brooklyn. But in a general sense, the show is funny all around I think.

I was getting angry at how contrived the plots had to be to make Larry seem so put-upon. Everyone in L.A. yelled at him for no reason at some point.

I love CYE but this stuff drives me nuts.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
I think the show is very funny, although it's a bit overrated by its hardcore fans. I'd rather watch 30 Rock than Seinfeld reruns or the American version of The Office, usually. I like Curb, as well. I still think that Arrested Development was the best American sitcom of the 2000s, although The Simpsons was still running (and that was the best TV comedy of all time).

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've only seen Season One, so I can only judge on that.

I really like the show, despite not being particularly media savvy. (Although TV production *is* topic is one of interest for me.) First off, Tina Fey's facial expressions win me over. That part is hard to explain - she is just so dry except when it comes to her facial expressions, and I really enjoy the contrast.

The show does a good job at rewarding those who pay attention. Especially early on, where jokes that are completely absurd come back later as if they were 100% serious. I also tend like the Family Guy style flashback sequences, and the show does a good job of not overusing them (unlike Family Guy).

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
So you don't like it then, Halla?

Honestly, I don't have an opinion on the show.

I don't watch television.

It requires me to sit still for proplonged periods of time, which I know for a fact will kill me quicker than eating a spoonful of cyanide.

I got bored of televsion after Seinfeld. I haven't watched television with any regularity for over 15 years. I haven't even seen a complete football game on TV except for one Super Bowl, and I forget which one it was.

I truly don't care. I have nothing against TV or the lazy bastards that watch it. :yim_rolling_on_the_

Usehername

On a mission
Honestly, I don't have an opinion on the show.

I don't watch television.

It requires me to sit still for proplonged periods of time, which I know for a fact will kill me quicker than eating a spoonful of cyanide.

I got bored of televsion after Seinfeld. I haven't watched television with any regularity for over 15 years. I haven't even seen a complete football game on TV except for one Super Bowl, and I forget which one it was.

I truly don't care. I have nothing against TV or the lazy bastards that watch it. :yim_rolling_on_the_

Can you watch sports IRL? I like playing but I hate watching sports, even at stadiums or arenas.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
This is kind of the question I had in my mind when watching "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia".

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Can you watch sports IRL? I like playing but I hate watching sports, even at stadiums or arenas.

Hey! I looove playing sports.

I like watching them if I am at the arena (happens 1-2X per year), but I still end up wandering off, buying beer, socializing with strangers, you know...ESTP stuff. :cheese:

ergophobe

Allergic to Mornings
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I think the Alec Baldwin character is pure genius and watching him play this role has sprung a whole new appreciation for Baldwin's acting skills. He is hilarious. The character based on Fey's former boss who is a blatantly evil and self-serving pragmatist and yet manages to make sense....is comedy gold. I'd watch it just for the amazing guest stars the show has had but they also deal with all kinds of intolerance and bias and misplaced idealism rather well and humorously...

Tina Fey's own character, Liz Lemon, is just so darn likeable, smart, silly, nerdy and is a great representation of women in their 30s, their aspirations and their neuroses...

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMKrAR6YBDI&feature=related"]BEST OF LIZ LEMON[/YOUTUBE]

There are hit or miss episodes but overall, it's hilarious. Disclaimer: haven't seen season 3.

Lemon out!