• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Dragon Age: Origins, other games

Scott N Denver

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Just came out today, has anyone tried it?

How about: Demon's souls, and Borderlands???

Has anyone tried Fallout3:GotY edition??? How much does it add to the basic game? Like it is just more missions and sidemissions and some new weapons and 10 more skill levels [30 cf 20].

Willfrey

MBTI Type
IsTP
I'll probably buy it. I'm an old Baldur's Gate fan.

Borderlands was alright, though I'd rent it first if I were you. If I ever see it on a $25> rack I'd buy it.

Fallout 3 is good, if you liked Oblivion or the origional Fallout series then you'll like it. You can see the individual reviews for those downloadable content packs for the Xbox 360's. The reviews for the PS3 version of Fallout 3 GOTY edition got dinged pretty hard for having poor performance.

Kra

Black Magic Buzzard
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
I've been playing it since Tues. I'm thoroughly entertained so far, and I just unlocked the Reaver subclass, so the fun's just beginning. :devil:

<--- Planning a morally questionable Reaver/Berserker combo this time around.

Willfrey

MBTI Type
IsTP
I've been playing it since Tues. I'm thoroughly entertained so far, and I just unlocked the Reaver subclass, so the fun's just beginning. :devil:

<--- Planning a morally questionable Reaver/Berserker combo this time around.

I hear there are some pretty badass finishing animations.

Also I am probably picking it up this weekend, any thoughts from what you've seen so far as to what I should start as?

Feops

MBTI Type
INTx
I picked up Dragon Age and find myself pleased. The feel of the game is much like Mass Effect in that it's very polished, offers a lot of choices, and is wordy.

They've done a fantastic job in setting up the world, its history, its people, and various bits like magic. Very immersive. The characters have distinctive personalities and you get a feel for their behavior and attitudes. The plot is solid, and as a point on style, unlike Mass Effect, you often have less information on hand and less certainty as to the results of your decisions. It adds a tension.

The nitpicks I have are more technical in nature. The game has a memory leak and gradually takes longer to load each section. It's crashed a few times. And it demands you have an EA login to track points or some such crap.

I've also tried Borderlands. It's a solid game but you need to play with friends. With more players the game throws much harder situations at you which makes the fights more hectic and fun. If you're going to play solo I'd wait until it hits the discount bin.

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
So far Dragon Age has bored me. It's puzzling, as I enjoyed Mass Effect and the KOTOR series represents two of my happiest gaming experiences. I'm questioning every complaint I currently have; I hope it doesn't come to an overly critical review.

Kra

Black Magic Buzzard
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
I hear there are some pretty badass finishing animations.

Also I am probably picking it up this weekend, any thoughts from what you've seen so far as to what I should start as?

Yes, some of the animations are quite satisfying, to say the least.

One thing that I've been impressed by, is the stylish approach to the old "sword n' board." It's much more visceral than I expected, and is more entertaining to watch than the big 2-hander animations, in my opinion.

As for what you should start as, I think most of the classes have their own strong points, and the tactics AI is actually more than capable of handling a tanking role (which I didn't expect to be honest), thus freeing you up to be whatever suits your preference.

Skyward

Badoom~
MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
9w1
I play Borderlands a lot. It is definitely a group game, but I'm a boring person and still find solo play fun.

The whole game had a kind of flat story which is meh, and not much to choose from in the way of classes and enemies. Combat doesn't change much even with different enemies. Just find out what bits to shoot to get a critical hit and hammer on it with your best weapon. I wish there was more use for different weapons.

Dragon Age looks fun, but my friend saw the explicit stuff in the trailer, got grossed out, and decided not to buy it. :steam:

Feops

MBTI Type
INTx
So far Dragon Age has bored me. It's puzzling, as I enjoyed Mass Effect and the KOTOR series represents two of my happiest gaming experiences. I'm questioning every complaint I currently have; I hope it doesn't come to an overly critical review.

Maybe the setting doesn't grip you? For example, I found Bioshock rather... meh, despite its fantastic gameplay and similarity to System Shock 2, a game which I enjoyed.

Also, Dragon Age is a long game, and builds more gradually than Mass Effect. Overall the plot is much deeper though.

Feops

MBTI Type
INTx
Update -

After finishing Dragon Age last night I stand by my opinion that the game is a masterpiece. It threw a few curveballs and extra bits right at the end that were nice touches, such as illustrating how the various placed I visited turned out in the end (somewhat like fallout does) .

The game took a total of 42 hours on my main file, but this doesn't include time lost to reloads, the optional modules, and several quests I dismissed as annoying. I fully plan on replaying it after a little break, to try a different class and take a different route with the plot choices.

I've only tried the mage, but found the mage plot lines to be involved given mages have a pretty unique lifestyle and culture to themselves. My only real recommendation to new players with mages would be to keep your spell selection diverse - overspecialization does a disservice to the utility a mage can bring for any situation.

The romances were also interesting (and for my character, bittersweet in the end, alas).

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The game took a total of 42 hours on my main file, but this doesn't include time lost to reloads, the optional modules, and several quests I dismissed as annoying. I fully plan on replaying it after a little break, to try a different class and take a different route with the plot choices.

You have no idea how much I want to play this game. I consider Baldur's Gate 2 and Planescape to be the pinnacle of my gaming experience (okay, besides the SNES time era), and everything I'm reading makes me think this is a worthy spiritual successor.

However, the thought of putting around 60 hours into a game scares the crap out of me. I'm not sure if I can bring myself to do that just yet.

Still, thanks for the update. I'd probably play a mage if I were to get this.

One Day

MBTI Type
INfP
Enneagram
5w4
I'm definitely getting this soon. Baldur's Gate 2 was awesome. Also it's made by the same people who made Star Wars: KOTOR. :D

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I started playing Dragon Age:Origins a bit now and then and I was quite surprised. It's the first 3d rpg with a good story-line and fun gameplay I've liked. It's no arcanum yet storywise, and it's a bit linear and the areas could've been bigger. But it's a fun game. :)

Now they just need to make a mix between Dragon Age:Origins gameplay, Fallout 3's world size and the freedom of a true RPG, such as Arcanum. That would be one helluva game. :p

visaisahero

MBTI Type
ENTP
I absolutely loved this game, the only RPG to date that I immediately replayed upon ending (first as a Female City Elf, second as a Male Human Noble). I made completely different decisions each time and it felt like a thoroughly different story. Love it.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Playing Dragon Age right now. It rocks and the dialogue is pretty snappy in places -- I've laughed a lot listening to the banter between characters. I've done two origins so far (city elf and mage), I'll try the others later. I'm still not 50% done with the game at this point.

Easy gameplay, easy to figure out, just having some issues with scaling (like when the white whasstheirnames jump me in Denerim, it's kind of a mess to get through).