• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Alternative Halloween Movies

speculative

Feelin' FiNe
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Greetings; this thread is for the posting of "alternative" Halloween movies. Because when you go to the movie rental store, things like "Halloween" and "Nightmare on Elm Street" will already be gone, and you don't want to end up with something like "Leprechaun." :D So, in this thread we post thrillers/chillers/non-traditional horror films, or films that people are less likely to rent that are more likely to be on the shelf when you get there.

My pick off the top of my head would be "Identity." This film stars John Cusack, Ray Liotta, Amanda Peet, Alfred Molina, Clea Duvall, Jake Busey, John C. McGinley, Pruitt Taylor Vince, Carmen Argenziano, Marshall Bell, Rebecca De Mornay, and others. As you can see, there is a very solid cast here. You won't recognize some of the names, but put them with the face and you'll go "Ah, they've been in tons of things." I enjoyed the non-obvious casting choices such as Amanda Peet and John C. McGinley (the arch nemesis doctor from Scrubs). This film starts off with a standard slasher/thriller plot, but then gets a bit weird starting around the second act. The "twist" isn't obvious in general, but many people will figure it out. Still, it's a fun twist and the ending is done very well. This movie would be a good choice this Halloween because it's an engaging, entertaining film with a good motif for this Hallow's Eve, and it is likely to be on the rental shelf when you get there.

I give it 3.5/5 stars.

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
Something strange like Oldboy or 2001: A Space Odyssey would be cool to watch for Halloween. Also at Kmart/Walmart/whatever they often sell totally unknown horror movies as cheap as a dollar. I've gotten some good ones too, Cien Gritos De Terror is one of my favorites, but I also found Night of the Living Dead in one of those bins, and you can't go wrong with a classic like that.

shadowself17

MBTI Type
IN?P
I highly recommend Let The Right One In. It's one of the best, most thrilling and most original vampire movies I've ever seen, it's a very beautiful movie too. Don't be scared off by the fact that it's Swedish though, or you're really missing out.

Click for Rotten Tomatoes consensus

Another one I'd recommend is Pan's Labyrinth. It's a very disturbing fairy tale like story, and it's another amazing (and coincidentally also foreign) horror film.

Click for Rotten Tomatoes consensus

Also some Kubrick films like A Clockwork Orange or The Shining would be good choices as well.

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Trick R' Treat. It's unique in that, more than a horror movie, it's about the spirit and love of Halloween. Oh, and the cost of forgetting that spirit or breaking the rules of Halloween night. Consider it a sort of Halloween version of a Christmas Carol.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I second Let the Right One in, Pan's Labyrinth and Old Boy

Here are some films I found quite chilling for various reasons:

Rebecca
Les Diaboliques (the film that stylistically inspired Hitchcock's Psycho)
The Night of the Hunter
Lost Highway
The Hole
Se7en
Blindness
Cube
Dark City
Sunshine
Memento