• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

WHERE THE WILD THINGS ARE

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Baked, I went and saw this film. Actually, just got home from it and thought it was brilliant.

I mean seriously the whole reflection on the island with the characters representign aspects of his real life was extraordinary, I may add!

I'm feeling INFP for Max

What yall think? Go and see it and come back and answer my question.

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I thought it was definately a movie more geared toward adults, it seemed a bit dark.

kryten5786

MBTI Type
infj
i agree, it seems geared more towards adults...
a beautiful, original film... one i'll remember..this decade has had some good films when you really think about it.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
The previews for the movie alone, especially with the music they used, was genius. Damn I have to see it now.

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I might go see it again, wasn't quite sure what to make of it the first round.

Seemed more so to be a movie about the human condition.

B

brainheart

Max is the most I have ever related to a childhood character in anything, ever. I think if you are an INFP- or Fi-dominant, anyway- you will be confused by people saying this isn't for kids. Max IS who I was as a child. If there had been more characters like this for me to relate to as a child, I don't think I would have felt so odd. I think seeing such deep emotions in a child frightens others who don't understand, in all honesty- I think they see it as dangerous. And then certain critics thinking kids won't understand the Wild Things because they are like a bunch of unhappy adults? Uh, Maurice Sendak based them in the original book on his aunts and uncles who he was terrified of.

One of the greatest, most real kids' movies ever. Some kids won't get it or like it, sure. Take those ones to see Planet 51 or whatever. Or at least take their parents to it.

neptunesnet

man-made
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5&4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'm feeling INFP for Max

ily.

Max is the most I have ever related to a childhood character in anything, ever. I think if you are an INFP- or Fi-dominant, anyway- you will be confused by people saying this isn't for kids. Max IS who I was as a child. If there had been more characters like this for me to relate to as a child, I don't think I would have felt so odd. I think seeing such deep emotions in a child frightens others who don't understand, in all honesty- I think they see it as dangerous. And then certain critics thinking kids won't understand the Wild Things because they are like a bunch of unhappy adults? Uh, Maurice Sendak based them in the original book on his aunts and uncles who he was terrified of.

One of the greatest, most real kids' movies ever. Some kids won't get it or like it, sure. Take those ones to see Planet 51 or whatever. Or at least take their parents to it.

This.
Except I didn't realize I was weird until I started grade school.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Max gets away with a lot more shit than I did growing up. I'm also the eldest in the family so I was always the ones being bugged to watch while I constantly tried to hide from everyone. I've had my ass tanned for only pulling half the crap he did.

No wonder INFPs can be so irresponsable...

Littlelostnf

MBTI Type
ENFJ
This movie was brilliant. I absolutely loved :heart:it and MUST own it when it is released on DVD. Max was a part of me...a quiet not often seen part. I found myself crying at parts and I wasn't even thinkinv about it...I mean literally with tears streaming down my cheeks at some part that just touched someplace inside of me...then a few minutes later laughing at the interaction between the Wild Things. Some children will get this...most will not but I would like to think that adults will go and see it and understand...if only to understand the few children who might really get this movie.

It was not dark...it was not scary...it was full of beautiful, wild, lovely emotions. GO SEE IT!!!!

TickTock

Mud and rain and chaos...
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
I've just seen it and I thought it was terrible. I love fantasy films and from the trailer I thought this was going to be a good adaptation of a book I adore. I'll cut to the chase. The over sentimental, sincerety mixed with fantasy didn't work for me. Fine on it's own without the fantasy, Lost In Translation for example. The fantasy wasn't fantasy, it was a human drama (of the kind found in one tree hill or grays anatomy) played out with monsters, that had a surreal unlikable nature. I found no sympathy with any of the characters, thinking instead that they should just get over themselves. I felt Max came off as spoiled and craving undue attention, especially the last scene with his Mum. I could relate to that childhood aspect, as most kids can, but it wasn't done in a way that allowed me to connect in a positive way. Finally, I didn't think there was any creativity from the director and that all the monsters did was smash stuff, very one dimensional.

I didn't intend to rip it apart, I do want to give an honest appraisal however. Final verdict: too much drama, not enough fantasy. ** (2 stars)

I should add, I got the film, i had no problem with understanding.

ergophobe

Allergic to Mornings
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
It was really lovely but it was a lot darker than I expected. I think kids can identify with his confusion and fear and imagination but the interactions between the wild things that reflected his view of the world may be a bit much for young kids. There were some very adult themes reflected. It was moving and a great insight into how kids internalize what happens around them. So very sad as well. This little kid who is so at odds with his world and has witnessed so much more than he should have at his age.

Beautifully animated. The world created was mesmerizing...

lowtech redneck

MBTI Type
INTP
Reading these responses, I've come to two conclusions:

1.) I really need to see this movie (preferably while drunk, so as to better enjoy the surreal atmosphere).

2.) My nieces and nephews (except possibly for the eldest) don't need to see this movie-I'll get them the book, instead (it was one of my favorites as a young child).