• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Paranormal Activity

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Yeah yeah yeah spoilers.

In the theatrical ending, Micah goes downstairs when he hears her scream, they tussle, everything goes silent for a few seconds.. then you hear her come up the stairs, she throws Micah at the camera then leans over and licks him or something, then looks straight into the camera and smiles, becoming demon-like and diving at the camera. Then it's over.

ygolo

My termites win
I saw it last weekend. Honestly, I can't see why it is so popular. It felt like a rehash of The Blair Witch Project...which I didn't really see the appeal of either.

I (no lie) fell asleep during the first part of the movie because it was so boring (and I was tired). I woke up when a lady behind me screamed, and from what I gathered, the only thing I missed was big thud sound. The continuity of what I saw was not lost.

I liked the ending, as cheesy as it may seem to many.

Argus

MBTI Type
ENTP
I'm seeing it tomorrow.

I heard it was boring up until the very end, and then everyone (even people who I know don't get scared by movies) says it's "scary" and refuses to explain how or why.

Synthetic Darkness

*SPOILERS BELOW.... AND RIGHT ABOVE AS A MATTER OF FACT.*

I watched a video file that was uploaded to the share drive here in Iraq... It had the ending where she's killed by the cops. What's the "true" theatrical ending?

In the theaters I guess. I really want the third alternate ending, so if anyone has watched that :( TELL ME WHERE YOU HAS WATCHED IT :cheese:

Synthetic Darkness

I'm seeing it tomorrow.

I heard it was boring up until the very end, and then everyone (even people who I know don't get scared by movies) says it's "scary" and refuses to explain how or why.

It freaked me out at the end a little, the creepy smile she gives at the camera when she convinces Micah to stay...the shadow...but it wasn't nightmare inducing...I can never find a movie that's scary enough =( It's all downhill from the exorcist :cry:

Bowie

MBTI Type
ENTP
My favorite part of films like these are the people who like to talk about how "not scared" they were. :D

I saw a pirated copy, that had the ending where she just comes up stairs alone and sits down and eventually gets caught by the cops. I think this ending is WAY better than the other two that were mentioned. I feel like the one in theaters is cheesy/over dramatic/for shock value.

Personally, I think the concept of being dragged out of bed and down the hallway by an unseen force seems pretty awful.

But the real horror in this movie? Their relationship.

mwv6r

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
A great movie, I highly recommend!!! I have to admit I missed probably 10% of it because I started hiding under my coat each time night fell in the film. But a really excellent film, it's so nice to see a quality independent film after enduring all the big-money box office trash that gets churned out.

Any guesses on personality types of the characters? I'm thinking Micah is ENTP. Not sure about Katie though.

Micah was so stupid to fuck with a demon! The whole time I was like man what are you doing??? The creepiest part in my opinion was when it shows the footsteps and they're three-toed -- not human at all. The ending was apparently very disturbing, I heard the sounds and my husband explained to me what happened but I was too scared to open my eyes.

Audience involvement was one of the neatest parts about seeing the film. Everyone was on the edge of their seats freaking out and people kept yelling stuff at the characters on the screen (e.g., "DUDE, WAKE UP!!!"). From what I've read this level of audience enthusiasm has been very common at screenings across the country. Everyone's hungry for a horror movie that's actually good!

Alright, I saw the movie tonight, so this'll be my first time trying to sleep afterwards... wish me luck :shock:

mwv6r

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
But the real horror in this movie? Their relationship.

Haha good point.

The ghost expert did say that demons "feed on negative energy," and as their relationship unraveled the paranormal shit did get worse and worse. I kind of wondered if the director was going for that as a leitmotif.

MBTI Type
INTJ
*MILD SPOILERS*

I had high hopes for this movie, as I was a big fan of The Blair Witch Project. I think the "found footage" conceit is really effective for low-budget filmmakers. It was somewhat disappointing though. My overall impression is that the movie could have been outstanding, but the ending didn't deliver.

The movie was set up nicely. Kind of slow if you're the kind of person that always thinks non-action movies are slow. I rather like a slow build though. Performances were good, and very naturalistic. The relationship was believable, although I kept hoping the hottie would throw out her douchebag boyfriend. (On a side note, the girl was so attractive that it was almost distracting.)

The first hour was creepy and uncomfortable. This director obviously had a plan to just keep you on the edge of your seat the whole time. I liked how whenever they went to bed it felt like "go time" and you waited for what was going to happen. The initial incidents built nicely, although the Ouija board scene was kind of lame. The claustrophobic effect of shooting entirely in the house really made you feel connected to the characters.

Really, the thing that ruined it for me was the ending. I can go with a slow build and soak up the atmosphere, and spend an hour plus getting gradually more creeped out - as long as it delivers in the end. And while the last minute was scary, it just did not feel BIG enough to pay off all that had been leading up to it. I really thought that the movie needed to deliver on the description Katie made early in the film of the dark figure standing on the edge of her bed. I didn't need to see an elaborate VFX finale, but I needed to see...something. Something more weighty.

All that said, I really admire the director. For seven days and $11,000 shooting in his own house, he kicked ass. It's not every day that you can make a 10,000x return on your investment. And it's hard to make a good movie at any price.

Epilogue: For anyone debating whether to go or not...GO. This movie will lose a lot of its effectiveness in an empty theater or at home on DVD. Some movies just work better with a crowd, and this is one.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
That pretty much sums it up.

Anybody else thinking of seeing Fourth Kind to fill the hole left by Paranormal Activity? With a 16% on Rotten Tomatoes I'm not getting my hopes up too high.

D

Dali

Finally watched it last night. I have never seen a more chilling movie in my life. The last time I was this affected by a horror movie was when I was ten. I'd like to re-watch it with a group of my friends on DVD so I can yell "BOO!" during the really ominous parts. :D