• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Paranormal Activity

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
It did have some genuinely creepy moments, but I really wanted to have the crap scared out of me, and I didn't. Maybe if they hadn't put in that rumbling sound right before anything "supernatural" was about to happen, it would have been better. That was seriously annoying... the combination of the low-frequency rumbling and the swerving camerawork, I wanted to vomit, and not from fright.

I've heard of movies that used low-frequency sound to create an unsettled feeling, and I thought it was a cool idea. I assumed it wouldn't be totally obvious, though.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Oh, I also read that Spielberg got them to change the ending. The original ending, Micah goes downstairs yelling when he hears Katie screaming, then it all goes silent. A few seconds later Katie comes upstairs alone with the bloody knife (the one Micah used early on when they're cooking) and sits by the bed for two days until her friend comes and checks on them. That's creepier, IMO. And another ending was filmed where she comes upstairs alone and looks into the camera and slits her own throat with that knife. That would be better than Throw Micah At The Camera but still a little too obvious IMO.

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I've heard of movies that used low-frequency sound to create an unsettled feeling, and I thought it was a cool idea. I assumed it wouldn't be totally obvious, though.

yep.

[YOUTUBE="JdAg_bNoBGQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdAg_bNoBGQ[/YOUTUBE]

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
The only paranormal activity I see is how they got so many people to see this crappy movie.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm thinking this movie would be better to watch at home while alone.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I'm thinking this movie would be better to watch at home while alone.

Maybe so. I also saw it at a sparsely-attended afternoon matinée, and I've heard it's a lot more fun in a full theater at midnight.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Wussy movie. Pretty lame. Disappointed. Could've been good, but it wasn't.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Is there such a thing??? I've yet to see a genuinely scary movie... One that makes my skin crawl and keeps me awake a few extra minutes/hours. However, I'm not much of a horror movie buff... In fact I haven't seen most titles, mostly because they don't do much for me.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
As cheesy as the concept was, The Ring was genuinely creepy to me. So was The Others.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I just got back from seeing it and was going to start a thread on it.

HOLY FUCK.

it's not cheesy, Hollywood, amusing, entertaining, funny, or any other word you'd use to describe a movie.

It sinks deep into your psyche and plants a seed of terror that doesn't leave. I have never been so scared in my life..I was honestly shaking and near tears the sensation and sheer absolute terror was so overwhelming.

It's not even a movie. I know it isn't real, but how they did it makes your mind think it's 100% real. No credits, no opening scene..it's just BOOM, and the footage rolls up as if the actual camera was retrieved from the scene, and plugged in at the theater. It's so simple.

Don't judge it when you haven't seen it, either. I had mixed thoughts going in, but coming out I was completely blown away.

I now have a greater respect for the power of demons (though I don't necessarily believe in them),

and won't sleep for a month.

It's not like any other horror movie I've ever seen..and I've seen a lot.
In most horror movies, you know what's going on, it's all defined. You have ghost, or a serial killer, or a deadly zombie disease turning people into savage beasts..
But in Paranormal Activity, you're left to judge from the crude framework of authentic patchy pieces of terrifying footage that are seem 100% real. The acting is perfect, and everything seems real.

Another thing that made this movie great (and bonechilling), was the fact that there was no music or outside sound added. There is no ominous high pitched violin music when something is about to pop up, there is no dramatic music when strange things happen, it's just the footage, and nothing more. As if you are right in the room with them.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
There is outside sound added. That confounded rumble tells you when shit's about to go down!

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
There is outside sound added. That confounded rumble tells you when shit's about to go down!

Well, if you wansta be all tecknical!

I thought it was the air vents making that noise. Nonetheless, there was no music, and it sounded awfully scary!

Just another ISTJ

MBTI Type
IsTj
Enneagram
1w9
I saw it last week with high hopes and left rather underwhelmed, along with my brother and brother in-law, who's a horror buff. I had chills going down my spine during the scenes where things happen, but I also yawned every time! The last two bits were solid, but it wasn't worth the price of admission.

Synthetic Darkness

Saw it tonight with my brother and i'm glad I didn't go off and pay for it, it was scary at times yes, but it could've been better I actually saw the ending where Katie just sits there and rocks for a day after she killed Micah and the police end up shooting her because she came at them with a knife (trigger happy much?) I would've appreciated the third alternate ending the one where she slits her own throat : )

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
*SPOILERS BELOW.... AND RIGHT ABOVE AS A MATTER OF FACT.*

Saw it tonight with my brother and i'm glad I didn't go off and pay for it, it was scary at times yes, but it could've been better I actually saw the ending where Katie just sits there and rocks for a day after she killed Micah and the police end up shooting her because she came at them with a knife (trigger happy much?) I would've appreciated the third alternate ending the one where she slits her own throat : )

I watched a video file that was uploaded to the share drive here in Iraq... It had the ending where she's killed by the cops. What's the "true" theatrical ending?