• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Does this book exist?

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
This may sound a little crazy, but bear with me for a moment here.

Okay, so today I had a dream that I actually remembered, which is pretty rare. It was about this place called The Institute that I was inside and I wanted to escape from. I'm not really sure what they did inside the place (I either don't remember or didn't dream about it), but I do know that whenever I escaped, they would find me, drug me, and take me back to the place.

When I woke up, I had the strangest feeling. I also thought that this MUST be a book. (Don't ask me why, but I was almost certain of it.) I'm not really into books, but this has been bugging me all day. Is there a book that sounds like this, is called "The Institute" or "The Institution," or did I just dream about something from a bunch of TV shows?

T

ThatGirl

I remember in one episode when the Simpsons got taken to "The Island" after Homer was dishing secrets about people. They were drugged.

Knowing the Simpsons, it's probably a parody of something.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
I remember in one episode when the Simpsons got taken to "The Island" after Homer was dishing secrets about people. They were drugged.

Knowing the Simpsons, it's probably a parody of something.

Hmm... yeah, I think I've seen that episode. I can think of a couple other TV shows where things like that have happened. Eh, my dream was probably just a combination of stories I've seen/heard. I still can't help but think that it was a book...

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
This may sound a little crazy, but bear with me for a moment here.

Okay, so today I had a dream that I actually remembered, which is pretty rare. It was about this place called The Institute that I was inside and I wanted to escape from. I'm not really sure what they did inside the place (I either don't remember or didn't dream about it), but I do know that whenever I escaped, they would find me, drug me, and take me back to the place.

When I woke up, I had the strangest feeling. I also thought that this MUST be a book. (Don't ask me why, but I was almost certain of it.) I'm not really into books, but this has been bugging me all day. Is there a book that sounds like this, is called "The Institute" or "The Institution," or did I just dream about something from a bunch of TV shows?

Were you a rat with human-level intelligence, like The Secret of NIMH?

speculative

Feelin' FiNe
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
It seems like the themes you mention may also parallel shows such as The Pretender and Dark Angel, films such as The Matrix and Dark City, etc.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Well, a lot of times a mental institution is just shortened to "The Institution." I've heard of similar experiences to what you're describing happening to escaped mental patients.

Maybe you were imagining what it would be like if you were a paranoid mental patient who felt trapped and wanted to escape?

It's not called "The Institution," but it sounds very similar to Frame of Mind, a Star Trek episode. Except without the part where you go back inside your mind and fight illusions.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yes, must have been NIMH. :D