• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

College Football Thread

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
Where did you guys go to college?

Anyone else here a college football fanatic?

Go Gators!!!!

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Where did you guys go to college?

Anyone else here a college football fanatic?

Go Gators!!!!

I went to colleges that aren't known for their football teams (Philly is very much a high school/college basketball town when it comes to non-pro sports), but I love watching football. I like Penn State, although I am not a Joe Paterno worshiper. He is pretty great, though. I don't think Florida will need much fan support to emerge victorious today. :newwink: I am more pumped for USC vs. Ohio State. In my adopted hometown of Los Angeles, USC is the closest thing we have to pro football.

MBTI Type
INTJ
I went to Syracuse, which means that I don't get too excited about college football.

We lost 28-7 to Penn State today, which may qualify as a moral victory. :doh:

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP
I went to a smaller school that used to be one of the better 1-AA teams around, but unwisely made the move to 1-A... and now they're beyond bad. But I'm actually more a fan of Texas, where my parents went to school when I was little and first started watching football.

Not a fanatic, but I enjoy college football more than pro football (aside from some reservations about the whole education/big-money sports thing).

Right now I'm semi-watching Michigan and Notre Dame. I wish they could both lose.. badly. :D. But I'll side with Michigan as the lesser of two evils.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
I went to a smaller school that used to be one of the better 1-AA teams around, but unwisely made the move to 1-A... and now they're beyond bad. But I'm actually more a fan of Texas, where my parents went to school when I was little and first started watching football.

Not a fanatic, but I enjoy college football more than pro football (aside from some reservations about the whole education/big-money sports thing).

Right now I'm semi-watching Michigan and Notre Dame. I wish they could both lose.. badly. :D. But I'll side with Michigan as the lesser of two evils.

I am rooting for Michigan, surprisingly enough. I just can't stand Notre Dame. I cannot support a team that A) has unfair rules regarding BCS bowls; B) claims totally illegitimate national championships; and C) has the majority of fans who have never been to Indiana, let alone attended school there.

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP
I am rooting for Michigan, surprisingly enough. I just can't stand Notre Dame. I cannot support a team that A) has unfair rules regarding BCS bowls; B) claims totally illegitimate national championships; and C) has the majority of fans who have never been to Indiana, let alone attended school there.

That's pretty much my reason for disliking their football program as well. I mean, objectively there's a lot of good things about the University...

FUMBLE!!!! Michigan ball :D

... I think they generally take academics a little more seriously than most big-time athletics programs, I have friends (and a cousin) who have gone there, etc. But the blatant favoritism the football program receives on a regular basis is a big turn-off. I admit it - I like to see them fail. And as they're perennially awarded bowl game berths on their reputation and fan base rather than their record on the field annoys me (the point could be made that other schools get this treatment too... but none even remotely so much as ND does - what do you tell the poor kids on a better team who don't get to go to the "big game"?). And don't get me started on the Willingham / Weis thing. Of course, until last year it pretty much always resulted in them getting pounded by better teams in bowl games - a nice way to start the new year :D.

But even now... one of the broadcasters was saying that they're a strong candidate for this year's championship game. I mean... really? Not as bad as Beano Cook (of the "Notre Dame should win a national championship at least once every 5 years" quote). I'd love to see them play Florida/Texas/USC/etc. in a bowl game :rolleyes:.

p.s. Michigan touchdown!

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
That's pretty much my reason for disliking their football program as well. I mean, objectively there's a lot of good things about the University...

FUMBLE!!!! Michigan ball :D

... I think they generally take academics a little more seriously than most big-time athletics programs, I have friends (and a cousin) who have gone there, etc. But the blatant favoritism the football program receives on a regular basis is a big turn-off. I admit it - I like to see them fail. And as they're perennially awarded bowl game berths on their reputation and fan base rather than their record on the field annoys me (the point could be made that other schools get this treatment too... but none even remotely so much as ND does - what do you tell the poor kids on a better team who don't get to go to the "big game"?). And don't get me started on the Willingham / Weis thing. Of course, until last year it pretty much always resulted in them getting pounded by better teams in bowl games - a nice way to start the new year :D.

But even now... one of the broadcasters was saying that they're a strong candidate for this year's championship game. I mean... really? Not as bad as Beano Cook (of the "Notre Dame should win a national championship at least once every 5 years" quote). I'd love to see them play Florida/Texas/USC/etc. in a bowl game :rolleyes:.

p.s. Michigan touchdown!

It's a great school. Certainly in the elite Catholic universities with Georgetown, BC, Holy Cross, Villanova, and Fordham. They just have the corniest fanbase in college sports (and this is coming from an East Coast Irish/Italian who went to thirteen years of Catholic schooling). The fact that middle-aged men get misty-eyed over a school they've never been to (many didn't even attend college, period) is just laughable. I am a moderate Penn State fan because I AM FROM PENNSYLVANIA. Also, Penn and Temple just suck. Penn was a college football powerhouse 100 years ago; that doesn't mean I bring up John Heisman left and right. Notre Dame have had some NCAA violations, too. It's not a dirty program like some, but it's not like God's own football team. Are they at nine consecutive bowl losses? Something is amiss there.

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Die hard Texas fan here.... GO HORNS!

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Mizzou.

Currently losing to a MAC team at home.

Journey

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
I'm a University of Tennessee fan. "Go Big Orange!!!"

My Husband says, "Roll Tide!!!" (University of Alabama)

We pull for each others teams EXCEPT when they play each other!!!

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP
USC is having major problems with Washington right now. Should be a great finish.

I saw that - it's not a game that I think I can get here, but I have to admit that I'm rooting for Washington (almost went to school there). Tennessee just did a good job on the road in a loss to Florida - they did better than I thought they would. Of course, I'm really looking forward to tonight's game in Austin - hopefully Texas will play well and repay Tech for last year (sorry Jeffster :D).

Washington wins, and Virginia Tech just had a fantastic finish against Nebraska, too.

Last edited:

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
I saw that - it's not a game that I think I can get here, but I have to admit that I'm rooting for Washington (almost went to school there). Tennessee just did a good job on the road in a loss to Florida - they did better than I thought they would. Of course, I'm really looking forward to tonight's game in Austin - hopefully Texas will play well and repay Tech for last year (sorry Jeffster :D).

Washington wins, and Virginia Tech just had a fantastic finish against Nebraska, too.

Notre Dame were lucky to escape with a win against Michigan St.

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
We're going to crush them. :ninja: Hook 'em!

hokie912

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
How about that Virginia Tech/Nebraska game? Crazy finish for my team.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
How about that Virginia Tech/Nebraska game? Crazy finish for my team.

Amen. I'm not sure if I should be super happy, or upset that a win manages to once again mask the major offensive problems the team perpetually has.

Still, what an exciting ending.