• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Most underrated musical act of all time?

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
yeah phish is pretty cool. :)

also if you like soulful... ray lamontagne has a great heartbreaking sound..

[youtube=406Se3xPTqQ] :) [/youtube]

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's hard to say what is underrated, because most of the bands/artists I like have a significant following of people who really love them, but then outside of that, they are mostly dismissed. An example of this would be Morrissey: huge, obsessive cult following, but (unfairly!) written off as whiny by most everyone else.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Most underrated music of all time?

How about Classical.

Talk about inspiring music! Everyone just pushes it to the side, when it in fact is some of the most complex, peaceful, inspiring, and original music in the world.

I think Classical music is greatly under-appreciated. It's sad, too, because it deserves a lot more than it gets.

I don't know about anyone else, but I listen to classical music a lot during the fall and winter because it really fits. Sitting up in my room, some candles lit, put on some classical music and read a book or do some homework, it's so peaceful.

NPR does Classical-Through-the-night that I listen to a lot when I'm laying awake in the middle of the night on my alarm clock/radio.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzMGzBKRttU"]Tchaikovsky-Overture of 1812 Pt. 1[/YOUTUBE]

Jupiter Suite is one of the most inspiring pieces of music in my opinion. Have a listen-

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3B49N46I39Y&feature=related"]Jupiter[/YOUTUBE]
bone chilling...wait til 3:09. Mmm.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Vivaldi, Dvorak and Debussey for me :)

Lux

Kraken down on piracy
Ohhh, I'd have to say that I think Leonard Cohen is underrated. He's well known but unappreciated IMO. I :wubbie: him.

Also, The Mountain Goats. They need more credit.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Blood Sweat and Tears.

Buffalo Springfield, who as it is, are mostly known for one song.

Spooky Tooth. They may not have done a lot, but Spooky Two was a really good album that seemingly no one knows.

How about Classical.

I like classical (really, I like baroque :D), but I don't know if it can be called underrated, given its elite status and the fact that you can get scholarships just for playing it.

It's true that it's not very appreciated by the public anymore, though.

r0wo1

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1

How about Classical.

Talk about inspiring music! Everyone just pushes it to the side, when it in fact is some of the most complex, peaceful, inspiring, and original music in the world.

I think Classical music is greatly under-appreciated. It's sad, too, because it deserves a lot more than it gets.

I don't know about anyone else, but I listen to classical music a lot during the fall and winter because it really fits. Sitting up in my room, some candles lit, put on some classical music and read a book or do some homework, it's so peaceful.

NPR does Classical-Through-the-night that I listen to a lot when I'm laying awake in the middle of the night on my alarm clock/radio.

Heavens I love classical, much more then modern music to be honest :p. But I dont consider it necessarily underrated, just underrated by almost anybody under the age of 35... Once people's tastes start to mature out of the Blink 182 and linkin park phase (/vomit) they usually pick it up if they have any proper musical taste ;).

<3 Bach! Goldberg variations... mmm...

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ah, here's one that's important to me.

Jon "Bermuda" Schwartz, Jim West, and Steve Jay. If you don't know who they are, it might be better to say that they are Weird Al Yankovic's band mates.

I cannot stress how under-appreciated they are. And it happens for two reason. Weird Al has had commercial success for decades, but it's because people think he does funny parodies. Nobody really pays attention to the musical quality, and even though half of everything Weird Al does is original, his most frequently asked question is "why don't you do original work?" :dry:

On top of that, the credit that is given, is just given to Weird Al. How many people other than avid finds of the group know that band members? But they are very, very talented musicians. Their ability to write and play songs of almost any genre with the best of them is very impressive to me, and it's all the more impressive that they've done it so consistently for almost three decades.

Alas, they are confined to the small level of credit that a "comedy act" is allowed to have.

iamathousandapples

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w6
Sonata Arctica. These guys are at least 10 times better than Dragonforce, and actually sound amazing live! Even in the power metal scene, they get pushed to the side for more repetitive groups.

[youtube=KaH57g6vZ9U].[/youtube]

Shimmy

MBTI Type
SEXY
Are we talking mainstream underrated here? Cause in that case I'd say the entire genre of Goa Trance is underrated. However, within the genre, there is definitely a difference in fame, recognition, and critical acclaim between the DJ's.

I guess if you're talking about mainstream underrated and artistic underrated I think Belgian artists have it toughest in general. Novastar, Hooverphonic and dEUS are great bands, but hugely underrated in every sense of the word.

One of the greatest bands of the '80s and early-'90s, but most people outside of the British Isles don't know them. :doh:

+1

MBTI Type
INTJ
Well let met say one that isn't really obscure, but is under appreciated.
Little Richard. You know, James Brown, Elvis Presley, all of the Beatles, etc.. One super-praised musician after another, has cited Little Richard as a major influence on their work and as an inspiration to play music. But you know, I never really hear people sitting around talking about how great he is, or famous organizations like Rolling Stone giving him much accolades.

Agreed. I think that if you must say one person invented rock and roll (which I admit is a fool's errand) it would have to be Little Richard.

Underrated:
The Kinks
The Hold Steady
Faith No More
Matthew Sweet
Hanson
Tsar - The one band I will flog until I cannot flog any more. Their lack of success astonishes me. It's my personal project to make them famous. If you like glam/punk/power pop, check them out:

[youtube=i__UxhLnHDM]Tsar - The Love Explosion[/youtube]

[youtube=6LTW4tEHSxY]Tsar - Startime[/youtube]

ed111

MBTI Type
INTJ
Any major dude will tell you it's Steely Dan.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inz9Sa_CVFs"]Deacon Blues[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zm0Iq5ebU9U"]Any Major Dude[/YOUTUBE]

Gloriana

Patron Saint Of Smileys
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Jawbreaker.
Semisonic.
The Fun Lovin' Criminals.
Mazzy Star.
Primus.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I do love Steely Dan. I guess they don't get a lot of glory, come to think of it.

The Decline

(☞゚∀゚)☞
MBTI Type
?
Enneagram
5w4
[YOUTUBE="Go8YqkRJ7qw"]The Frogs[/YOUTUBE]

The Frogs. Naturally... :D

shimsham

MBTI Type
infj
The Kinks. Mogwai. Cowboy Junkies. Mississippi John Hurt. Philip Glass (well, I think so). Smog. Pearl Jam. Tears for Fears.

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
Cowboy Junkies
I agree, I used to listen to their tapes religiously as a kid. They don't get a lot of attention though.

Pearl Jam
Maybe it's just because I'm from the Pacific northwest, but I always thought Pearl Jam was bordering on being overrated (though perhaps underrated in comparison to other grunge bands?).

shimsham

MBTI Type
infj
Maybe it's just because I'm from the Pacific northwest, but I always thought Pearl Jam was bordering on being overrated (though perhaps underrated in comparison to other grunge bands?).

Yeah, I think you're right. I'm from the NW too, and they do get a lot of support up in those parts. But it seems most of the world considers them to be just a grunge band, while I think they've proven themselves to be quite a bit more.