• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Most overrated musical act of all time?

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
People who dislike the Beatles and Elvis are doing so only because they want to be contrary. :peepwall:

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
To say a band is overrated doesn't mean you hate them. It may just mean you think they get a ridiculous amount of praise and credit in comparison to other bands who are just as good, if not better. It may also mean that the band doesn't speak to you, even if you can acknowledge they had something significant to contribute to the music world. That's the case with a lot of the bands I listed - mostly good bands (minus a few), but not the 2nd coming, IMO.

Fair point, but nobody has ever been or will ever be as good as the Beatles, when it comes to pop songwriting. (And "pop" covers everything from rock to hip hop here, anything that uses a 3-minute marketable radio single format!)

r.a

meat popsicle
MBTI Type
STFU
oh man i forgot all about elvis and AC/DC

painfully overrated

r.a

meat popsicle
MBTI Type
STFU
People who dislike the Beatles and Elvis are doing so only because they want to be contrary. :peepwall:

no, not really. i can honestly say ive heard plenty of elvis and it has never, ever done anything for me. no emotional chords struck. elvis does not impress me. i respect what he did for the industry. god bless him.

overrated. my opinion. thanks.:coffee:

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
no, not really. i can honestly say ive heard plenty of elvis and it has never, ever done anything for me. no emotional chords struck. elvis does not impress me. i respect what he did for the industry. god bless him.

O RLY?

[YOUTUBE=Z7OSz4uK7yQ]Elvis Presley - Suspicious Minds[/YOUTUBE]

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4

Hmm... I guess I was thinking more of the people in my generation who lived through the ruckus.

Cause you're right.
Elvis wasn't a great singer.
He was very entertaining eye candy though.

The Decline

(☞゚∀゚)☞
MBTI Type
?
Enneagram
5w4
I think the gold medal goes to AC/DC and Guns 'n' Roses. These are two good bands and honestly nothing more. I'm not taking a shot at them, I enjoy some of their music, it's just that I don't think they deserve the acclaim and critical lauding that they always seem to get from people.

AC/DC has great guitarwork and some good songs, but other than that, it's just the same "hard rock riff" formula with a somewhat-melodic solo thrown in at the end. And Guns 'n' Roses is just another hair band.

Who do you guys think is the most overrated artist?

That's funny, I clicked on this thread ready to post AC/DC ;)

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Close...there's a difference between "I dislike it" and "It's bad" that most people refuse to acknowledge (or are incapable of acknowledging.)

I don't really enjoy Elvis's music that much either, but he was an awesome musician and that's not even debatable.

Likewise, there are numerous bad bands that I really enjoy, just because they happen to appeal to me.

You can't run around telling other people what they should or shouldn't like--that's all up to opinion--but when it comes to who's good, that's a different story entirely.

So I think what you mean to say is, people who say the Beatles/Elvis are bad are either stupid or just doing so to piss people off.

^I've watched tons of his interviews and he doesn't even come close to how pretentious someone like Brandon Flowers, lead singer of The Killers is.

Umm...your point?

LunaIndigo

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
no, not really. i can honestly say ive heard plenty of elvis and it has never, ever done anything for me. no emotional chords struck.

Try telling that to my uncle who thinks Blue Christmas is the most beautiful song of all time. Lol.

The most overrated for me is Green Day. They used to be good but since American Idiot I couldn't stand them or the bandwagon fans that only became fans when AI came out. They're only redeeming quality is that they don't like Twilight. Anyone who doesn't like Twilight gains instant points with me. Other than that, meh about them.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
^ If you think Green Day is the most overrated band in the field of pop punk, clearly you've never heard of a little band called Blink-182.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Try telling that to my uncle who thinks Blue Christmas is the most beautiful song of all time. Lol.

The most overrated for me is Green Day. They used to be good but since American Idiot I couldn't stand them or the bandwagon fans that only became fans when AI came out. They're only redeeming quality is that they don't like Twilight. Anyone who doesn't like Twilight gains instant points with me. Other than that, meh about them.

I actually thought it was cool that there were kids born in 2000 at the Green Day I worked for the radio in 2005. I remember when it was 1995 and there were kids born in 1990 into them. There were literally people anywhere from 5 to 50 at the show, and it was a good time (except for Jimmy Eat World as an opener).

LunaIndigo

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
^ If you think Green Day is the most overrated band in the field of pop punk, clearly you've never heard of a little band called Blink-182.

That I have, that I have. I think in terms of Green Day it was probably the bandwagon fans that ruined them for me back in 2005. I was a freshman in high school and it just erupted in these sudden Green Day fans. Everyone thought they were sooooo 'punk' but bought all their clothes from Hot Topic and tried their hardest to look like Billie Joe. It was sooo annoying.

Oh, I forgot to add My Chemical Romance to my list. That was another big fad in my high school. Everyone suddenly was Emo and depressed and had 'emotional' problems. It was rediculas. Plus I think MCR's music just sucks really.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
That I have, that I have. I think in terms of Green Day it was probably the bandwagon fans that ruined them for me back in 2005. I was a freshman in high school and it just erupted in these sudden Green Day fans. Everyone thought they were sooooo 'punk' but bought all their clothes from Hot Topic and tried their hardest to look like Billie Joe. It was sooo annoying.

Oh, I forgot to add My Chemical Romance to my list. That was another big fad in my high school. Everyone suddenly was Emo and depressed and had 'emotional' problems. It was rediculas. Plus I think MCR's music just sucks really.

Right, except that nobody really rates MCR that highly at all, except depressed goth/emo kids in high school. So they're really not that overrated.

And Blink-182 is poor man's Green Day, yet they get just as much credit despite half the talent. Both are probably overrated, but Blink much more so.

r.a

meat popsicle
MBTI Type
STFU

blink 182 is green day lite.

plus green day doesn't count for me cause they suck way too obviously. same goes for bands like staind and godsmack and anything in the emo realm.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
blink 182 is green day lite.

plus green day doesn't count for me cause they suck way too obviously. same goes for bands like staind and godsmack and anything in the emo realm.

Most of those bands exist specifically to imitate the marketable standards of a genre and sell records.

By that standard, they're doing great.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'm weird. I like MCR ... well, a few of their songs...and I probably like more Blink 182 songs than Green Day, though I won't claim that I love any of the above.

IMO the most overrated bands I can think of are the old ones who have been hyped beyond belief to be huge "classic" bands like AC/DC. I don't get it.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Guilty of used to liking Blink 182. Teen years... I'd admit now that they're overrated but before, you'd never get me to change my opinion. Never really liked Greenday though.