• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Most overrated musical act of all time?

Evee

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
One of these:

Pink Floyd

I don't even consider anything post-Syd era Pink Floyd, tbh. Overrated rubbish for sure.

The Rolling Stones

They became extremely uninteresting after they murdered their only redeeming band member and founder, Brian. Overrated.

I think Kurt was a gifted songwriter, personally..

Led Zeppelin

Shameless plagiarizers. Criminally overrated.

David Bowie

In no capacity is David Bowie overrated.

Alanis Morissette

Not fair to include Alanis Morissette in this list. What do you have against Alanis huh?

The Clash

Na.

This band I hold dear but I admit they should have called it quits even before Keith Moon died.

Pearl Jam

Songwriting is weaker than Nirvana's and Eddie Vedder's voice is more annoying than Kurt's..

No.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I posted in this once years ago. I've thought about the topic often since then. If I restrict myself to bands (as oppose to an individual artist), my present top 5 comes around to:

The Rolling Stones.
The Eagles.
The Sex Pistols.
U2.
Nirvana.

So, not much has changed.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
This thread was a wild ride from start to finish.

My favorite post was probably this one:

The whole point of this thread is to hone my passion for music. For someone my age, I have quite a diverse taste in music, especially when 99% of teenagers my age's music taste consists of generic, banal, mainstream artists like Soulja Boy and/or Panic at the Disco.

:D

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
Rating things is pointless. Paying attention to ratings is pointless. Going in blind, unabashed, and unbiased is the best way to find what YOU ACTUALLY like (and maybe don't)

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Songwriting is weaker than Nirvana's and Eddie Vedder's voice is more annoying than Kurt's..

Also, he gave rise to what seemed like a handful of weak imitations of his vocal styles, ultimately culminating in the Creed Crisis of the late age of Clintonia

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Most "progressive rock" bands (including a few I love, but come on, how often do they need to remaster and reissue their discographies?)

Also, Boston and Journey. Especially Journey.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Do you know of any other artists who did songs in 19/18? :D

In rock, no. But if I really cared, I could probably find some classical or jazz fusion in that time sig
Also, He didn't even invent tapping, although I often run into Zappa fans who claim this fact (The first use of that technique in rock probably dates back to Steve Hackett.) and that he is the most original musician in the whole world ever--prolific, yes...original, sometimes.

Jaguar

I seriously hate Michael Jackson. His music alone wasn't really enough, even though I do not like it at all... The dancing does contribute to his death sentence... But adding pedophilia? In my future empire, I would have tortured him to death with bees, ferrets and ridiculously over-sized dildos.

I must have missed the trial that ended with a conviction.

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
Tie between Justin Bieber, Nickelback, and One Direction.

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Most "progressive rock" bands (including a few I love, but come on, how often do they need to remaster and reissue their discographies?)

Also, Boston and Journey. Especially Journey.
Boston had two solid albums. Journey ... I just don't even care at all. :mellow:

In rock, no. But if I really cared, I could probably find some classical or jazz fusion in that time sig
Also, He didn't even invent tapping, although I often run into Zappa fans who claim this fact (The first use of that technique in rock probably dates back to Steve Hackett.) and that he is the most original musician in the whole world ever--prolific, yes...original, sometimes.
Hey, a blast from the past. :laugh: And that was a typo, it should have been 19/16.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Boston had two solid albums. Journey ... I just don't even care at all. :mellow:

Hey, a blast from the past. :laugh: And that was a typo, it should have been 19/16.

Journey is what I consider a greatest hits band. Meaning that I could buy a greatest hits compilation, avoid the rest of their discography and not miss much.

grey_beard

The Typing Tabby
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Whoever mentioned Andrew Lloyd Webber was definitely on the right track.
Also, Beyonce.

And Billy Joel.

Oh...and speaking of yesteryear...Elton John.

Rambling

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think they are ALL overrated...except for the angry marching songs from Les Miserables. The money I've paid to go and watch and listen to musicals, opera, bands... When I could have been home with a good book...

But then, that could be that I'm feeling angry right now, not so objective as usual...I really need to go and listen to some calming Christian music...

Sunflower_Moon

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
2w1
Instinctual Variant
sp
I'm sorry if this offends anyone here, but I think Justin Bieber is the most overrated musical act. He seems too much like a Michael Jackson wannabe that lacks originality, depth to his songs, etc.

Jaguar

I'm sorry if this offends anyone here, but I think Justin Bieber is the most overrated musical act. He seems too much like a Michael Jackson wannabe that lacks originality, depth to his songs, etc.

I always wondered how he got a signed contract. ;)