• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Most overrated musical act of all time?

metaphours

cast shadows
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I think the gold medal goes to AC/DC and Guns 'n' Roses. These are two good bands and honestly nothing more. I'm not taking a shot at them, I enjoy some of their music, it's just that I don't think they deserve the acclaim and critical lauding that they always seem to get from people.

AC/DC has great guitarwork and some good songs, but other than that, it's just the same "hard rock riff" formula with a somewhat-melodic solo thrown in at the end. And Guns 'n' Roses is just another hair band.

Who do you guys think is the most overrated artist?

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I've heard it before, people saying GnR is an overrated band. I have to disagree though. They're one of those rock bands that has their own sound (yes, much of it is due to their singer) and a band that's hard to confuse with any other. If you can create a distinctive sound and produce good songs, for the most part, I'd deem you a solid group, worthy of respects.

Are we including contemporary hip-hop as contenders for most overrated "band"?

metaphours

cast shadows
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I've heard it before, people saying GnR is an overrated band. I have to disagree though. They're one of those rock bands that has their own sound (yes, much of it is due to their singer) and a band that's hard to confuse with any other. If you can create a distinctive sound and produce good songs, for the most part, I'd deem you a solid group, worthy of respects.
Good point, but their not "legends of rock" and certainly not one of the greatest acts of all time.

Are we including contemporary hip-hop as contenders for most overrated "band"?
The title says "most overrated musical act" so that includes any artist of any genre.

metaphours

cast shadows
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I also think U2 is slightly overrated. The only difference is, U2 made really brilliant music in their heyday, have billions of fans all over the world, and definitely could be considered one of the "greatest bands of all-time."

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
Simplicity is genius. Not the use of complicated words for no reason, not being majorly emotional and talking about poetic things, not playing a million strange instruments over top of each other in a way you learnt in the jungles of Africa, not being strangely different for the sake of being arty while neglecting being skilled, but writing perfect songs that last. I think U2 is overrated if you call them the best of an era. I think they wrote some classic stuff though. GNR and AC/DC might not seem like geniuses, but in terms of music they are. Some of their stuff is timeless. Should AC/DC have sold near the most albums ever, maybe, because it means at least one band from my city did something :).

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
If I have to pick only one, it would be Nirvana.

Shimmy

MBTI Type
SEXY
You should ask: What is, in your personal perception, the most overrated musical act of all time?

The intrinsic value of a musical act can only ever be measured by the different subjective rating systems we use personally. And therefore a musical act, like any piece of art can never be objectively overrated. Now if you come up with an objective measurement about a band, like for instance the amount of money it grosses, you have a standard to work from, but then over or underrating a band still happens subjectively.

BTW. I vote for U2 as well.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I disagree with you about GnR, Appetite was probably the most sublime hard rock album during that era of hard rock. However, I do agree with you about ACDC. Also, I don't like KISS. There's not one song I like, and how they're as popular and revered as they are, I'll never be able to understand.

I will get killed for saying this, but I don't like the Beatles either. I'd never consider them overrated because I know they changed music, but I just can't get into them.

wolfy

awsm
I don't agree with you on AC/DC. Overrated by who? Bon Scott era AC/DC and Back in Black were great. Genius. The band knows what they are, the fans know what the band is about. They are a working class band. They are the Jackie Chan of rock. They know what they are about and deliver it.

"People always say we've made the same album 12 times. But they're really lying, it's actually 13 times." Angus Young.

The most overrated band is Radiohead.

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
- Pearl Jam, Nirvana... The entire grunge scene.
- The entire Nu metal scene... Disturbed is the worst, by far.
- Growl 'music'
- All these new rock bands who sound just like each other.
- Bob Dylan. I mean, he did a few good songs. But judging from the sheer quantity of songs, there should be more good ones.
- I seriously hate Michael Jackson. His music alone wasn't really enough, even though I do not like it at all... The dancing does contribute to his death sentence... But adding pedophilia? In my future empire, I would have tortured him to death with bees, ferrets and ridiculously over-sized dildos.

metaphours

cast shadows
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
- I seriously hate Michael Jackson. His music alone wasn't really enough, even though I do not like it at all... The dancing does contribute to his death sentence... But adding pedophilia? In my future empire, I would have tortured him to death with bees, ferrets and ridiculously over-sized dildos.
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo x a million

iamathousandapples

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w6
Madonna. Her music was absolutely shite, and all she really did good at was lowering the bar and making innuendos.

I'm seconding Nirvana, especially Kurt Cobain. In a sentence he was just an OK guitarist who shot himself in the face.

Oom

Your time is gonna come.
MBTI Type
IsfP
Enneagram
5w4
I can't get into radiohead. I wonder why they're so popular?