• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Favorite retro gaming system?

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
That's right. They called it Super Nintendo in the States because you didn't have a culture of game playing as a family. So Discovery said anyway.

I like to think that in a certain special way, my Nintendo was my family.
:hug: :D

wank

MBTI Type
free
Enneagram
nope
The intellevision has a lot of good memories for me,...
especially Advanced Dungeons and Dragons: Treasure or Tarmin

This was hardcore gaming when I was a kid...*nostalgia*

Kra

Black Magic Buzzard
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
Though I started with an NES, the SNES is my favorite system. It still gets some playtime, so I may have to get one of those SNES clones soon so I don't wear out the contacts. Maybe I'll pass it down. :D

I still play FF3/6 (Best one by a LONG shot if you ask me), Chrono Trigger, Contra III, Mario World etc. regularly. Keeps that child-like sense of wonder alive, and I've gotta say, I can't get enough of those old 16-bit sounds (love the 8-bits too).

My old Sega Genesis was pretty fun too, but alas, it has long since passed on. :sad:

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
N64 was great.

Sega 16-bit :yes:, too, which had some good games that were not held to the same level of excellence when revisited in later formats.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Oh, this is a little off topic, but I've noticed something odd... my SNES and N64 still work, but I had to replace my Gamecube every 2-3 years over the course of it's life. Alongside roughly the same usage as my N64 and SNES. I'm on my third Gamecube. Why was the Gamecube of such inferior quality?

wank

MBTI Type
free
Enneagram
nope
I've never had problem with the gamecube,... well, sorta,...
If it ever messed up, I would flip it upside down and it would work again, and then vise versa in the event of another mess up,... kinda funny...

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Gah. People keep putting SNES, and I keep thinking "that's not retro!" I have become old!

It was released in 1991, the last game released for it came out in 1998, and they stopped producing it in 1999. It's 2009, so that's... 10 years since it was produced or supported. An entire decade. How old does it have to be before you can call it retro? By most people's standards, the N64 is retro.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Though I started with an NES, the SNES is my favorite system. It still gets some playtime, so I may have to get one of those SNES clones soon so I don't wear out the contacts. Maybe I'll pass it down. :D

I still play FF3/6 (Best one by a LONG shot if you ask me), Chrono Trigger, Contra III, Mario World etc. regularly. Keeps that child-like sense of wonder alive, and I've gotta say, I can't get enough of those old 16-bit sounds (love the 8-bits too).

My old Sega Genesis was pretty fun too, but alas, it has long since passed on. :sad:

I love love LOVE Chrono Trigger. :D I had Earthbound for the SNES too.

As for the sega, I wore mine out because of how much I played Sonic 3 and Knuckles. The amount of gameplay I put into that game was just ridiculous. When my Genesis broke I played it on a ROM and still play it sometimes...

I also played Vectorman. That was a really great game.

MBTI Type
INTJ
It was released in 1991, the last game released for it came out in 1998, and they stopped producing it in 1999. It's 2009, so that's... 10 years since it was produced or supported. An entire decade. How old does it have to be before you can call it retro? By most people's standards, the N64 is retro.

I'm merely making a joke about the different perspectives of what is "new" or "retro" based on age. Before the SNES came out, I had played with an Odyssey, an Atari 2600, an Intellivision, a Colecovision, an Atari XL, a C64 and a Sega Genesis. This is why I think of the SNES as relatively new.

Nuance fail :doh:

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I love love LOVE Chrono Trigger. :D I had Earthbound for the SNES too.

As for the sega, I wore mine out because of how much I played Sonic 3 and Knuckles. The amount of gameplay I put into that game was just ridiculous. When my Genesis broke I played it on a ROM and still play it sometimes...

I also played Vectorman. That was a really great game.

Haha I just finished sonic 3 and knuckles two days ago. Finished it countless times and still somewhat addicted.

I'd say my favourites are
Sega Master System and PS1

Favourites on PS1 would be: Final Fantasy 7-9
Favourites on Sega Master System would be: Sonic 1-3 and knuckles and comic zone. Classics!

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I'm merely making a joke about the different perspectives of what is "new" or "retro" based on age. Before the SNES came out, I had played with an Odyssey, an Atari 2600, an Intellivision, a Colecovision, an Atari XL, a C64 and a Sega Genesis. This is why I think of the SNES as relatively new.

Nuance fail :doh:

Oh! Well, compared to those systems, the SNES is brand new. I was comparing it to the Wii, Gamecube, and N64. Normally when I think about the pre-SNES era, I think of the NES and Sega Master System. I've played on those systems before.

If you think of stuff like the Odyssey, Atari 2600, Intellivesion, and C64 systems that were so limited and complex to play that they were virtually unplayable unless you were REALLY into it, well... yeah, I can see how you'd call even the NES a modern system in comparison.

You're right, though. Age really does change how you see things... as well as what your first system was.

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP
We had Pong too.

Pong with the two-dials-on-a-big-box controller/console rocked... in 1975.

We had one hooked up to the little Heathkit black-and-white TV in the spare room when I was a kid.

ataripong1_thumb.jpg

PuddleRiver

It's always something...
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w6
^ Is that like the original Nintendo? :blush: If so, I agree though I also loved the Atari 2600. I hate the newer systems, the simpler the better, and are a lot more fun for me.

lowtech redneck

MBTI Type
INTP
For the memories, the NES. For actual play, the SNES and the Playstation. I'm also very fond of the Gameboy Advance. I never got that into the N64, the system was shit for RPG's.