• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Favorite retro gaming system?

metaphours

cast shadows
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Mine's definitely the N64.

I can barely recall the countless hours my sister and I spent mercilessly trying to beat each other at Mario Kart 64 or maybe trying to get past that one Fire/Volcano level on Super Mario 64. Fucking epic times. The N64 no doubt set what would become the standard for video games everywhere, and it's prowess is still influential to this day.

What's your favorite retro system?

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Retro as in not current gen?

Then Saturn. Just a special place in my heart with games like Panzer Dragoon, Burning Rangers, NiGHTS, Virtua Fighter etc as well as a slew of awesome third party titles.

metaphours

cast shadows
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I never played the Saturn. It came out in North America like a year after I was born, lulz.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Atari VCS/2600. Just awesome. The games are simple by today's standards, but IMO the action on the controller has yet to be topped.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Does Gameboy count?

I had one of these when I was 5 or 6

75827_gameboy.jpg

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Super Nintendo Entertainment System (aka SNES, Super NES, Super Nintendo)

snes-full.jpg

Favorite games:

Final Fantasy 2 US (FFIV)

Final Fantasy 5 (via translated ROM, back when I was "bad," 5p33K1ng l337 and involved in that kind of thing)

Final Fantasy 3 US (FFVI)

Chrono Trigger

Super Mario RPG

Tales of Phantasia (another translated ROM)

Mario's Time Machine

Mario is Missing

Super Mario All-Stars

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

Lufia

Secret of Mana

Ogre Battle: The March of the Black Queen

Bubsy II

SimEarth

SimCity 2000

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I remember the first time I ever saw a PS1.

I was at a friend's house and they asked me if I wanted to play PlayStation.

Stupid me thought they said PoliceStation, so I sat there asking them for almost a minute what they meant by it until I realized he was saying PlayStation. :doh:

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
SNES hands down. I love that system, I still play games on it.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
sega megadrive(genesis in usa). Nhl 96 is the best game for it, even tho i dont like hockey at all

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
As much as I loved the PS1, my favorite system (that was current for it's time) was the NES. Not only were a lot of the great franchises started in those days (Mario Bros., Zelda, Final Fantasy, etc...), but there was a lot more variety in games than there is now. Game developers used to try all sorts of things. Like I remember a game called "Blaster Master" where the concept is your frog one day suddenly turns into a tank. Sure the story was lame, but the game was really fun to play. :) I'm also the only person I know who liked Gyromite and actually used the robot the way it was intended.

Although I'd have to say if I had to play the old games today I'd prefer the PS1 games over the NES ones.

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP
Commodore 64.

I've got to agree with the Falcarius. Large range of fun games (and, more importantly, I suspect, peaked in popularity when I was in Jr. high school).

Although... a year or so ago I went to Seattle to visit my best friend from my growing-up days, and we downloaded a C64 emulator to revisit the old times. Let's just say some of those games have *really* lost their luster over the years :D.

Still, gotta go with the C64!

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Xbox.

Just beat Grand Theft Auto: Vice City this weekend.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
logo-mame-small.gif
!!!

All the old arcade classics exactly as they were in the machines!
Though years ago, they cracked down on the rom sites.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I liked the atari but my fav was colecovision. We played it an awful lot. Pitfall rocked though.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
Super Nintendo. It was my first system (got it for my 6th birthday), has awesome games, love it.

1991_Super_Nintendo5.jpg

wolfy

awsm
PS1. We still play Gran Turismo, Tekken and a Japanese game called Boku no natsu yasumi at my house. Super Fami com (English?) Gets a bit of use still too. Bomberman, tetris and space invaders.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Super Fami com (English?) Gets a bit of use still too. Bomberman, tetris and space invaders.

The Super Famicom was the Japanese name for the Super Nintendo. They're actually the same system, just called different things.

wolfy

awsm
The Super Famicom was the Japanese name for the Super Nintendo. They're actually the same system, just called different things.

That's right. They called it Super Nintendo in the States because you didn't have a culture of game playing as a family. So Discovery said anyway.