• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

PS3 Slim + Price Drop

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
FFXIII is also going to be coming out soon, so I'm guessing this is a very strategic move for Sony.

Poser

Fe, rusted.
MBTI Type
INTP
I like the matte black better. I mean, if that played a part of my decision.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
^ I agree on the matte black thing, shiny just means it'll always look smudgy and/or dusty imo.

Backwards compatible though?? That'd be my main question. And it said it's basically the same.. so that means still blu-ray DVD compatible, etc?

r.a

meat popsicle
MBTI Type
STFU
this is why i held out, but i feel like the day i finally get a ps3 slim the ps4's existence will be announced.

Oom

Your time is gonna come.
MBTI Type
IsfP
Enneagram
5w4
^ Isn't the playstation really hurting sony's market? I do hope that they make a 4th. Is there any talk of them already starting on the next?

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
^ I agree on the matte black thing, shiny just means it'll always look smudgy and/or dusty imo.

Backwards compatible though?? That'd be my main question. And it said it's basically the same.. so that means still blu-ray DVD compatible, etc?

I doubt it's backwards compatible. I know for sure it has a blue-ray player though, since the PS3 games themselves come on blue-ray discs. They couldn't go back to non-blue-ray at this point even if they wanted to.

^ Isn't the playstation really hurting sony's market? I do hope that they make a 4th. Is there any talk of them already starting on the next?

It will be a few years still until the next generation of consoles are released. The next hardware Sony and Microsoft are talking about releasing are both motion sensitive stuff to compete with the Wii. Both intend to release their new controls for the current systems. If new game systems were going to be released soon I'd think they'd bundle the motion control stuff with that. In other words it will be a few years still. (And then a couple years after that until the next gen of consoles actually get a decent library of games.)

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
PS3 Slim is NOT backwards compatible. You also cannot install Linux on it. Other than that, it preserves all other functionality. I'd get one if I didn't hate the controller so much, and didn't have an xbox 360.

r0wo1

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
PS3 Slim is NOT backwards compatible. You also cannot install Linux on it. Other than that, it preserves all other functionality. I'd get one if I didn't hate the controller so much, and didn't have an xbox 360.

If its not compatible will they continue to sell the original PS3 version with backwards compatibilty or will they drop it as they did the PS2? And if so at what price will the PS3 slim be sold?

And what is with Sony releasing giant systems just to release a slim system a couple years later anyway?

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
All the PS3 needs now are good games that aren't on any other system.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
If its not compatible will they continue to sell the original PS3 version with backwards compatibilty or will they drop it as they did the PS2? And if so at what price will the PS3 slim be sold?

They discontinued selling the PS3's with backward compatability over a year ago. They have made no indication they will ever bring this feature back. A person who wants a backward compatable PS3 will have to buy an older one on Ebay or something.

All the PS3 needs now are good games that aren't on any other system.

This comment is sooooo 2 years ago, lol. :cheese: I know it's a matter of taste, but I prefer the PS3 exclusives to the 360 ones. I'm not really into shooters though. If you are comparing them to Nintendo, then I agree they easily have the best exclusives (although not much else).

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This comment is sooooo 2 years ago, lol. :cheese: I know it's a matter of taste, but I prefer the PS3 exclusives to the 360 ones. I'm not really into shooters though. If you are comparing them to Nintendo, then I agree they easily have the best exclusives (although not much else).

Well, I'll admit that I liked InFamous, though I was underwhelmed by the multifaceted storyline. They could've done a lot more with it, methinks. And of course, Metal Gear Solid 4.

It's not necessarily the quality of the exclusive titles, it's just that there aren't many of them. (Final Fantasy XIII, if it ever gets finished, is also coming for the 360.)

But the PS3 is a more stable system than the 360, and most of the games I get, if given a choice between PS3 and 360, are for the PS3. PC if that's also an option.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
Well, I'll admit that I liked InFamous, though I was underwhelmed by the multifaceted storyline. They could've done a lot more with it, methinks. And of course, Metal Gear Solid 4.

It's not necessarily the quality of the exclusive titles, it's just that there aren't many of them. (Final Fantasy XIII, if it ever gets finished, is also coming for the 360.)

But the PS3 is a more stable system than the 360, and most of the games I get, if given a choice between PS3 and 360, are for the PS3. PC if that's also an option.

I suppose you have a point, but I don't see the 360 having too many exclusives either (especially if you don't count the games that are on both PC and 360). To me the amount of games they have in common far outnumbers the amount that they don't. I can totally understand why someone would pick either one system or the other, since most of the game's you'd want to play are on both systems.

BTW speaking of PS3 exclusives, if you like strategy games I'd highly recommend Valkyria Chronicles. It's my favorite game of this console generation so far. I like the story and art style, but my favorite thing is that it's a new kind of strategy game experience. Most strategy games seem to mimic one of a few established types like Warcraft/Starcraft, Final Fantasy Tactics, Total War, Civilization etc... most strategy games follow a format that is very similar to these few established brands. Valkyria Chronicles is it's own thing, and I like playing new types of games which are well executed. So if you're into strategy games, then it's well worth looking into.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Ugh. The backwards thing annoys me, honestly. It's like saying, "Oh, you remembered enjoying that awesome Kingdom Hearts game?? Well, you can buy it AGAIN from us to play it on your shiny new system. Buahahaa.."

I guess I'll just play PS2 and PS3.. =(

MBTI Type
INxJ
But the PS3 is a more stable system than the 360, and most of the games I get, if given a choice between PS3 and 360, are for the PS3.

Most definitely. 360 can get buggy. I avoid using it if I can get the same game for PS3 instead.

Ugh. The backwards thing annoys me, honestly. It's like saying, "Oh, you remembered enjoying that awesome Kingdom Hearts game?? Well, you can buy it AGAIN from us to play it on your shiny new system. Buahahaa.."

I guess I'll just play PS2 and PS3.. =(

I agree. I still have a PS2 for older games actually. It's so much clutter to have all those systems. Moar efficiency, I say. lol

Scott N Denver

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
BTW speaking of PS3 exclusives, if you like strategy games I'd highly recommend Valkyria Chronicles. It's my favorite game of this console generation so far. I like the story and art style, but my favorite thing is that it's a new kind of strategy game experience. Most strategy games seem to mimic one of a few established types like Warcraft/Starcraft, Final Fantasy Tactics, Total War, Civilization etc... most strategy games follow a format that is very similar to these few established brands. Valkyria Chronicles is it's own thing, and I like playing new types of games which are well executed. So if you're into strategy games, then it's well worth looking into.

Have you tried Eternal Sonata? If so what did you think?

Scott N Denver

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Has anyone here updated their PS3 HDD for more memory? I bought one of the originals at 60GB, and well its almost full now. A lot of games seem to take 4-5 GB each. I'm looking at upgrading to a 320GB drive. The HDD replacement process seems straight forward from what I have read online, just make sure to get the right physical size and pin configuration.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I agree. I still have a PS2 for older games actually. It's so much clutter to have all those systems. Moar efficiency, I say. lol

I'll drink to that!! In december, when I can drink again >.>

I mean, it's no big deal to have two systems, but unplugging and re-plugging, switching over, its just such a shame when it honestly wouldn't take that much more space to configure backwards compatibility.