• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Radiohead's New EP?

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
You may be right about the critics, but most fans of Radiohead I've come across do not consider The Bends to be Radiohead's "masterpiece" as much as they may consider OK Computer or Kid A to be. Enough said, I'm sick of your arguments and your annoying ass avatar =.=

I never used the word "masterpiece." One of the things I like about The Bends is that is not it is not designed as self-consciously as OK Computer or Kid A are. It's just a collection of great songs. I do have a bit of a problem with the track order, though. "Bones" is probably the weakest song on the album, which is right after "Fake Plastic Trees," which is clearly one of the highlights. It is also a little samey in tempo in the first half. It does make the impact of "Just" that much more when it rolls around, though.

And you should take a better attitude. Don't be childish when someone disagrees with you.

metaphours

cast shadows
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I never used the word "masterpiece." One of the things I like about The Bends is that is not it is not designed as self-consciously as OK Computer or Kid A are. It's just a collection of great songs. I do have a bit of a problem with the track order, though. "Bones" is probably the weakest song on the album, which is right after "Fake Plastic Trees," which is clearly one of the highlights. It is also a little samey in tempo in the first half. It does make the impact of "Just" that much more when it rolls around, though.

And you should take a better attitude. Don't be childish when someone disagrees with you.
I agree with you there, but you need realize that you completely derailed the topic from WOI speculation to "what Radiohead album is my favorite."

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
I agree with you there, but you need realize that you completely derailed the topic from WOI speculation to "what Radiohead album is my favorite."

You derailed the topic when you made a snide remark about which year I am living in. Why should I let that go?

metaphours

cast shadows
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
You derailed the topic when you made a snide remark about which year I am living in. Why should I let that go?
I was joking, sorry if you took it the wrong way, but should I really have to put "Hey, just in case you were wondering, that was a joke," in bold text beneath every sarcastic remark I make?

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
I was joking, sorry if you took it the wrong way, but should I really have to put "Hey, just in case you were wondering, that was a joke," in bold text beneath every sarcastic remark I make?

It wasn't very clear. You were pretty obviously a latter-day Radiohead fan, and that bunch can be pretty insufferable about it, no offense. I enjoy a good joke. I was going to include this pic of you when Radiohead showed up and called you a crybaby. ;)

img_30.gif

metaphours

cast shadows
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
It wasn't very clear. You were pretty obviously a latter-day Radiohead fan, and that bunch can be pretty insufferable about it, no offense. I enjoy a good joke. I was going to include this pic of you when Radiohead showed up and called you a crybaby. ;)

img_30.gif
Latter-day Radiohead fan? Radiohead is my favorite band and I enjoy every single album to the fullest, it's just that out of all of their albums I would say I did not enjoy The Bends too much and find it quite overrated, but that's my personal opinion.

+ That episode of South Park is hilarious, except I don't see Thom?

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Latter-day Radiohead fan? Radiohead is my favorite band and I enjoy every single album to the fullest, it's just that out of all of their albums I would say I did not enjoy The Bends too much and find it quite overrated, but that's my personal opinion.

+ That episode of South Park is hilarious, except I don't see Thom?

I meant latter-day as in someone who came to the band later and enjoys the 2000s music more.

metaphours

cast shadows
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I meant latter-day as in someone who came to the band later and enjoys the 2000s music more.
Well you can't really blame me, I mean, I was only 1-year old when The Bends came out. It's not like I could've crawled to the local record store and listened to the newest Radiohead record at the moment.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Never heard of Kings of Leon.

In my opinion, Radiohead is too mainstream. I think that they are a little pretentious, and trying really hard to make a statement.

I know a ton of people who listen to Radiohead for the sake of trying to be cool.

That's my opinion.

Okay, that's completely ridiculous.

If you think Radiohead is mainstream then you haven't heard them since about 1995.

Where the hell are you getting that? :huh:

Being pretentious/trying to make a statement is not mainstream. Mainstream means following the big crowd because that's what the most people will like and that will sell the most records, not actively trying to carve out a pretentious niche genre directed toward a relatively small and specific demographic (which Radiohead does.)

In fact, that's going against the grain for the sake of making an artistic statement, which is the very antithesis of mainstream.

And btw, the fact that some people lie about liking them just to look cool...how exactly does that relate at all to the quality of their output? That doesn't even remotely make sense.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
^ On the flip side, though, you're being really obnoxious to merc for no apparent reason.

Taken in the context in which it was intended, The Bends is arguably as good as some of the other albums.

Merc probably doesn't like their later stuff because it completely abandoned the pop song format, which is fair enough. If you build a particular sound that people are used to, they're never very happy when you change it dramatically.

Personally The Bends was my favorite Radiohead album for a long time--these days it's probably either OK Computer or In Rainbows. Kid A is good but very overrated because it got so much critical praise at the time it came out that nobody stopped to notice that, hey wait, RADIOHEAD DIDN'T INVENT ELECTRONIC MUSIC.

But since they've been incorrectly credited with doing so for so long now, the frankly mediocre Amnesiac and the hardly-better-than-mediocre Hail to the Thief get rated way higher than they should, as well. Music critique is funny like that.

It's still a great album; it just doesn't deserve the level of gratuitous over-praise that it gets.

Well you can't really blame me, I mean, I was only 1-year old when The Bends came out. It's not like I could've crawled to the local record store and listened to the newest Radiohead record at the moment.

Oh, I get it. You're 15.

All is forgiven :)

metaphours

cast shadows
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
But since they've been incorrectly credited with doing so for so long now, the frankly mediocre Amnesiac and the hardly-better-than-mediocre Hail to the Thief get rated way higher than they should, as well. Music critique is funny like that.
I like Amnesiac and Hail to the Thief, regardless of the fact that I'm a "latter-day Radiohead fan," or whatever merc was talking about, they're still fantastic albums and I've chatted with many older Radiohead fans who think the same way. You just have to give them a chance. Just like John Lennon said ;)

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I guess my main problem with The Bends is I have a hard time telling one song from the other. I suppose one could say that about a lot of Radiohead albums, but I don't have that problem with the other albums.

Other than "Fake Plastic Trees" and "Street Spirit" the entire album runs together in one long smear.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I like Amnesiac and Hail to the Thief, regardless of the fact that I'm a "latter-day Radiohead fan," or whatever merc was talking about, they're still fantastic albums and I've chatted with many older Radiohead fans who think the same way. You just have to give them a chance. Just like John Lennon said ;)

I'm not sure if that's condescension or just naivete.

Suffice it to say, if you think the only reason I dislike either of those albums is that I "haven't given them a chance"...

I know you're really young, but this is a great opportunity to start learning how condescending Fi sounds without you necessarily realizing it.

So realize it, and stop it.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
^ On the flip side, though, you're being really obnoxious to merc for no apparent reason.

Taken in the context in which it was intended, The Bends is arguably as good as some of the other albums.

Merc probably doesn't like their later stuff because it completely abandoned the pop song format, which is fair enough. If you build a particular sound that people are used to, they're never very happy when you change it dramatically.

I don't have a problem when bands do that. Bowie used to do it all the time, and it was great. U2 changed things up majorly with Achtung Baby, and ended up with arguably their second-best album. The problem was that they continued further down that road with Zooropa and Pop, and the songs weren't as good. I don't give bands points for being "experimental" if the music ends up weaker, and I think Radiohead did, especially after Kid A. I was just listening to Hail to the Thief, and it was just straight-up boring at parts. Radiohead is not a boring band.

Personally The Bends was my favorite Radiohead album for a long time--these days it's probably either OK Computer or In Rainbows. Kid A is good but very overrated because it got so much critical praise at the time it came out that nobody stopped to notice that, hey wait, RADIOHEAD DIDN'T INVENT ELECTRONIC MUSIC.

It's still a great album; it just doesn't deserve the level of gratuitous over-praise that it gets.

I was listening to Depeche Mode and Massive Attack and Tricky and Aphex Twin before Radiohead starting becoming more electronic and less guitar-driven. They never sounded like they were changing the world to me. I don't think Thom Yorke's voice is the most appropriate for electronic music songs, either.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't think Thom Yorke's voice is the most appropriate for electronic music songs, either.

Really? His voice is so pretty for a male, I think it skates on top of their soundscapes to great effect.

r.a

meat popsicle
MBTI Type
STFU
I was listening to Depeche Mode and Massive Attack and Tricky and Aphex Twin before Radiohead starting becoming more electronic and less guitar-driven. They never sounded like they were changing the world to me. I don't think Thom Yorke's voice is the most appropriate for electronic music songs, either.

everyone and their dad listened to depeche mode, massive attack, tricky and aphex twin before kid a came out. radiohead just took a good thing and made it their own and then ended up influencing alot of cats that in turn made some pretty good music, too. and they didnt step on ANY of their influences along the way. i read in one interview where they said something akin to how deep down they wish they were massive attack. they are showing love to their influences without compromising artistic integrity.

and saying that thom yorke's voice isn't the most appropriate for electronic music shows you have alot to learn about electronic music. there's more of it and more kinds of it out there than you can possibly imagine.

and thom yorke's voice was being used for electronic music before kid a came out.

check out "rabbit in your headlights" by unkle :jew:

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Really? His voice is so pretty for a male, I think it skates on top of their soundscapes to great effect.

I wouldn't call it "pretty." When he overdoes it, he sounds like a wounded animal. The lack of clear enunciation makes me strain to figure out what he is trying to say, which can be distracting. It's not as if he is Liz Fraser, with the singing intentionally unintelligible and mostly sonic seasoning, if you will.