• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Radiohead's New EP?

metaphours

cast shadows
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Pablo Honey and The Bends are quite different, and it still does not matter which year it is. It will always be the same sounds coming through the speakers. I can listen to music without putting any biases of what has come later into the equation. Look at Black Eyed Peas. They'll never go back to the pre-Fergie pleasant, positive party-rap they used to make. I really wish they would, though, because they are atrocious now. Or Paul McCartney. His crappy solo stuff doesn't make The Beatles less good. Neither does Elliot Smith's great solo stuff make Heatmiser particularly great. I just don't think Radiohead got better post-OK Computer. Kid A was great, Amnesiac less so, Hail to the Thief not great, and In Rainbows a nice rebound.
I and every other Radiohead fan pretty much (not to mention every critic and music publication) believe they did get better post-The Bends, I hate to say it, but you're just being difficult.
+ People hate on Hail to the Thief, but it grows on you the more you listen to it.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I like Hail to the Thief a lot.

When I listen to my Radiohead playlist, I usually skip over The Bends to get to the good stuff.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
I and every other Radiohead fan pretty much (not to mention every critic and music publication) believe they did get better post-The Bends, I hate to say it, but you're just being difficult.
+ People hate on Hail to the Thief, but it grows on you the more you listen to it.

allmusic ((( Radiohead > Discography > Main Albums )))

Radiohead : Music Reviews : Rolling Stone

The Bends - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

OK Computer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Kid A - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Amnesiac - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hail to the Thief - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In Rainbows - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I am not being difficult, and you're not correct. There are plenty of people who loved The Bends and OK Computer who were down with Kid A but didn't dig the later stuff as much.

metaphours

cast shadows
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I am not being difficult, and you're not correct. There are plenty of people who loved The Bends and OK Computer who were down with Kid A but didn't dig the later stuff as much.
I am just as correct as you are. There are plenty of more people who enjoy their later stuff than people like you who just enjoyed their "more accessible works."

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
I am just as correct as you are. There are plenty of more people who enjoy their later stuff than people like you who just enjoyed their "more accessible works."

I care not a bit for accessibility. It's all about the strength of the songs. I took issue with your notion that most critics think the band got better after OK Computer. That is simply not true.

metaphours

cast shadows
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I care not a bit for accessibility. It's all about the strength of the songs. I took issue with your notion that most critics think the band got better after OK Computer. That is simply not true.
Yes, it is. And I'm sick of arguing with you. Feel free to stop replying on my threads if all you're going to do is start meaningless and pointless debates. That's not why I started this thread, I started it to discuss whether or not Wall of Ice will actually be released on 17 August, NOT to discuss whether or not Radiohead became a better band after OK Computer, which I personally believe is true in many ways.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
OT: I hate Rolling Stone magazine.

"Rolling Stone initially gave the album an average rating." Now they give it 5 stars. They did the same to Led Zep in the beginning too. They also go out of their way to fellate every Baby Boomer act that puts out a middling album as a glorious return to form.

Fuck Rolling Stone.

metaphours

cast shadows
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5

"Rolling Stone initially gave the album an average rating." Now they give it 5 stars. They did the same to Led Zep in the beginning too. They also go out of their way to fellate every Baby Boomer act that puts out a middling album as a glorious return to form.

Fuck Rolling Stone.
+ A MILLION

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Yes, it is. And I'm sick of arguing with you. Feel free to stop replying on my threads if all you're going to do is start a debate. That's not why I started this thread, I started it to discuss whether or not Wall of Ice will actually be released on 17 August, NOT to discuss whether or not Radiohead became a better band after OK Computer, which I personally believe is true in many ways.

You can't expect to express an opinion and not have someone disagree. I just provided ample evidence that OK Computer was the most critically-lauded Radiohead album, followed by The Bends and then Kid A and In Rainbows. You are free to disagree with their assessments, but you don't get to make claims about critical unanimity when the facts don't support them.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ

Fuck Rolling Stone.

Their reviews are notoriously spotty. Depends on the reviewer almost completely. Spin does a decent job for an American mag. At least, they did. I don't think I've bought an issue in at least five years.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Their reviews are notoriously spotty. Depends on the reviewer almost completely. Spin does a decent job for an American mag. At least, they did. I don't think I've bought an issue in at least five years.

I used to have a Spin subscription, but I haven't really even looked at one in several years.

Just another ISTJ

MBTI Type
IsTj
Enneagram
1w9
I've been a fan of Radiohead for over 14 years and I contend that The Bends was one of their best albums. That opinion doesn't diminish the greatness of their subsequent work though. OK Computer is fantastic, but I like the Bends Better. Kid A is an entirely different beast and I appreciate its existence. In Rainbows is just flat out amazing.

r.a

meat popsicle
MBTI Type
STFU
anyone who thinks radiohead is pretentious obviously knows nothing about the men behind the music. they are just being popularity nazis. its ok, i am a fascist about some stuff, too.

unrelated, here is my opinion on their albums:

pablo honey - didnt actually care for it that much. they hadn't matured their sound enough to really hit anything groundbreaking. it was great for a early 90's rock album. but nirvana was still better.

the bends - was groundbreaking. they made a real imprint on music with this one. their name meant something new. they broke away from comparison to any other bands from the mid 90's.

ok computer - i liked more than the bends, as far as the sound they went for. the bends may have been received better because the world's ears hadn't been tuned to their true style yet (so nobody had anything to compare it to), but ok computer had better songs.

kid a - shocked me when i first heard it. i thought perhaps richard d james had snuck into a radiohead studio session. i grew more in love with radiohead with each listen. this particular pattern continued for the rest of the radiohead albums and even thom yorke's (amazing) solo album. the more i listen, the more i love. not many bands or artists are capable of evoking that in me. this may seem like a bold statement, and it probably is, but i really feel like with kid a, radiohead not only changed the direction of rock music, but that of electronic music as well. we now live in that alternate timeline. and im sure r.d james appreciated hearing his influence used progressively.

amnesiac - while kid a was better as a cohesive whole, amnesiac had the better songs. amnesiac is still my favorite album from them. pyramid song is still my favorite radiohead song. both albums were originally slated to be released as one epic to begin with, and they sound as if they were.

hail to the thief - felt more like a transitionary album. an idea between ideas. still brilliant, nonetheless, but not as effective as kid a and amnesiac. as musicians, the band was getting better.

in rainbows - a pleasant change of timbre while retaining the original soul of the band. an adept exercise in good-old fashioned quality songwriting. in rainbows proved that they didnt have anything to prove, except that they can still shit out an album that drops dookies on 98% of the other albums that came out that year. HOWEVER, yellow house, by grizzly bear, was a better album than in rainbows, in my tiny little opinion. i would have creamed my jeans if i had the chance to see grizzly bear open for radiohead during their tour together last year.

ok, im done sucking their dicks. :nerd:

r.a

meat popsicle
MBTI Type
STFU
You can't expect to express an opinion and not have someone disagree. I just provided ample evidence that OK Computer was the most critically-lauded Radiohead album, followed by The Bends and then Kid A and In Rainbows. You are free to disagree with their assessments, but you don't get to make claims about critical unanimity when the facts don't support them.

reviews from critics are just other people's opinions that don't matter to me (unless its my band's album they are reviewing;)). the only thing that really matters is the subjective experience.

im sure some poor asshole in kansas got through a rough divorce because he had bought and connected with scott stapp's solo album at that time in his life, even though critics gave that album full-blown AIDS just for existing.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
reviews from critics are just other people's opinions that don't matter to me (unless its my band's album they are reviewing;)). the only thing that really matters is the subjective experience.

im sure some poor asshole in kansas got through a rough divorce because he had bought and connected with scott stapp's solo album at that time in his life, even though critics gave that album full-blown AIDS just for existing.

No, I know that. Critics, on average, have better taste than the general public, but it's not a foregone conclusion. I was taking issue with metaphours' assertion that "critics" think that Radiohead have gotten better in the past ten years. There are a lot of Radiohead fans who feel the way I do, just as many would agree with him. I don't care for the attitude of "real fans feel this way." That is a childish attitude.

r.a

meat popsicle
MBTI Type
STFU
No, I know that. Critics, on average, have better taste than the general public, but it's not a foregone conclusion. I was taking issue with metaphours' assertion that "critics" think that Radiohead have gotten better in the past ten years. There are a lot of Radiohead fans who feel the way I do, just as many would agree with him. I don't care for the attitude of "real fans feel this way." That is a childish attitude.

its true, there are certain schisms in the radiohead fan base.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I was disappointed with In Rainbows... That's all I have to say.

metaphours

cast shadows
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5

You may be right about the critics, but most fans of Radiohead I've come across do not consider The Bends to be Radiohead's "masterpiece" as much as they may consider OK Computer or Kid A to be. Enough said, I'm sick of your arguments and your annoying ass avatar =.=