• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

15 Movies That Stuck With You

Happyman

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Orange Appled:
I think I prefer Before Sunset also! And nice list...the ENFJs I've known always have impeccable movie taste (puts me to shame).

Thank you. :)

Oh! A Jean-Luc fan!
*Dances in the street, happy.* :D

Initially I've put five his movies to my '15', but I thought it would be.. too mono-thematic. ;) I omitted 'Pierrot les Fou' and 'Vivre sa vie: Film en douze tableaux'.

My favourite quoute by JLC: "The story needs to have a beginning, a middle and an end. Though, not necessarily in that order."

2365537130_f3f8d5373d_o.jpg

PS You didn't 'bold up' Weekend! ;)

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
1. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. The end really sums up love -- "we're both idiots and are going to fight alot... and that's okay, it doesn't mean we can't love each other." Wow.

2. Gattaca. It just touches me on a deep level: "I never saved anything for the journey back."

3. Dark City. Just a beautiful ending... we are not what we are designed to be, we can make our own destiny. There is always hope. We are not our destiny, we can choose to be different.

4. The Remains of the Day. Voice your love for others, don't trap yourself. Our cages are self-created.

5. Pan's Labyrinth. Life is more than the obvious. Be true to your values.

6. Solaris. "There are no answers... only choices."

7. The Matrix Revolutions... most of the movie just was poorly handled, but "Everything that has a beginning has an end, Neo" sticks with me. Accept what is inherently true. Don't fool yourself. Also, in Matrix 1: "There is no spoon." And we are who we choose to be. Our beliefs control reality in terms of who we think we are.

8. Dave. One person can make a difference... even if the world turns against him. It still matters.

9. American Beauty. I identify with so much in this movie, especially the Ricky character.

10. Road to Perdition. Our parents have a large impact on us, so much that sometimes it's hard to judge them. In the end, we just love them -- the good and bad; otherwise we are in essence denying ourselves.

11. The Ring. So evocative, so creepy. So... relentless.

12. The Descent. Some of the effects are cheesy, but being trapped underground is horrific, and it shows what is means to be so caught up in revenge to lose your humanity.

13. Dead Poet's Society. I know what it is like to be Todd Anderson. And i know what it feels like to be Neil Perry. Ugh. One boy summons his courage and chooses to live; the other chooses to be free in the only way he can. Like Todd, I choose to use my voice. I choose to live.

14. King Kong. The scene in the snowy park is just utterly amazing.

15. The Incredibles. "I can't lose you again. I'm not... strong enough."

brilliantwomble

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Top Gun: Helped a young IxTP understand herself

The Secret of NIMH: Always loved the idea of smart, talking mice and some of the rats were just awesome (hence my profile picture)

American History X: Watched it a day before going to the Holocaust Museum. Haunting.

Forrest Gump: Love the way the writers integrated Forrest into a better part of US history.

10 Things I Hate About You: Story of my life.

Save the Last Dance: Story of how I sort of wish my life were.

Juno: It's just fun. And deep. At the same time.

Monty Python and The Holy Grail: Amazing random humor that drove my SJ family mad.

The Princess Bride

Thank You For Smoking: Didn't make me laugh, but it made me think which almost counts for more in my book.

Finding Forrester
Good Will Hunting
The Fast and the Furious

Better Off Dead: Just a random movie my friends from high school became obsessed with.

How The Grinch Stole Christmas (the animated version): Who couldn't love the Whoville Welcome Christmas song?

tess2008

MBTI Type
INFJ
ohhh.. :wubbie:

Trainspotting
A.I
Amelie
I Am Sam
Big Fish
Charlottes Web (the old animated version)
The Lion King
Requiem For A Dream
The Magical Adventures of the Fairies and Leprechauns (lol)
Forrest Gump
Little Miss Sunshine
Harry Potter (all)
Lord of The Rings (all)
Edward Scissorhands
Benny & Joon
The Wedding Singer (lol)
Girl Interrupted
Shallow Hal
The Neverending Story
Titanic
Donnie Darko
Sweet Home Alabama
Charlie's Angels (lol)
The Secret Garden

neptunesnet

man-made
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5&4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Oh! A Jean-Luc fan!
*Dances in the street, happy.* :D

*Joins you*

Initially I've put five his movies to my '15', but I thought it would be.. too mono-thematic. ;) I omitted 'Pierrot les Fou' and 'Vivre sa vie: Film en douze tableaux'.

:laugh:
I almost made the same mistake but then thought I would be sticking to the criteria of this thread if I only added the first God(d)ard movie I've ever seen, Masculin Feminin. It changed the way I see filmmaking (...forever :)).

I've never seen 'Pierrot les Fou' or 'Vivre sa vivre: Film en doux tableaux.' Am I missing out?

My favourite quoute by JLC: "The story needs to have a beginning, a middle and an end. Though, not necessarily in that order."

Stop it.
Stop it right now.
Favorite God(d)ard quote, too.

*Is it Goddard or Godard? I've always seen it Godard, but you are probably right in spelling it Goddard.

PS You didn't 'bold up' Weekend! ;)

Pardon!
I have a bad habit of speed reading. It gets me in serious trouble sometimes :blush:. Let's just imagine its bolded font, and call it a day.

Do you have an affinity for any other Sixities' French filmmakers?

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Not in the order "best" to "worst". Simply fifteen good movies that I just haven't forgotten about, and sometimes watch again.

1. Ivanhoe (1982)
2. Braveheart
3. Kelly's Heroes (1970, Clint Eastwood)
4. Independence Day
5. Where Eagles Dare
6. James Bond: Thunderball
7. James Bond: GoldenEye
8. Gladiator
9. The Matrix (Just the first one, the rest sucks)
10. The Italian Job
11. Transporter
12. Indiana Jones: Raiders of the Lost Ark
13. Indiana Jones: The Last Crusade
14. The Sea Hawk (1940, Erroll Flynn)
15. Gran Torino

Happyman

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
*Joins you*

:D

I've never seen 'Pierrot les Fou' or 'Vivre sa vivre: Film en doux tableaux.' Am I missing out?

Yes. :) Especially with Pierrot!
Oh, and I love Masculin, Feminin too!

Stop it.
Stop it right now.
Favorite God(d)ard quote, too.

:)

*Is it Goddard or Godard? I've always seen it Godard, but you are probably right in spelling it Goddard.

No! It's Godard. For some reason (oblivious to me) I keep making this mistake. I think I've read it somewhere first and now it sticks with me... So you were right. :)

Do you have an affinity for any other Sixities' French filmmakers?

Oh, don't get me started! :D

I really like Francois Truffaut - especially Les 'Quatre cents coups' and a bit surrealistic 'Tirez sur le pianiste' (Shoot the pianist). I wonder why he moved to more traditional movies after this one (Though 'Jules et Jim' is still a good one).

Luis Bunuel (every movie!), but out of the ones made in 60's - 'Belle de jour'.

Then there is Alan Resnais with 'L'anne derniere a marienbad' (Last year in Marienbad) with script of one of my favourite writers: Alain Robbe-Grillet.

Chris Mark with his experimental movie 'La Jetee'.

Finally Eric Rohmer - 'Ma nuit chez Maud'. One of the best movies about man-woman relations I've ever seen.

Well, the whole New Wave of French cinema was amazing. Finally someone tried to do something different, instead of making movies as carbon copies of XIX century narrative novel. (I guess Jodorowsky pulled that even further - but that's topic for a new thread or a even a forum maybe ;) ).

Outside of New Wave I also like Jaques Demy with absolutely charming 'Les parapluies de Cherburg'.

Oh, oh, oh! And 'Ascenseur pour l'échafaud' (Lift to the Gallows) by Louis Malle! You can call it my number 16. (L'rite, I know, this one is from 1958 ;) ).

I'm making myself stop now. Enough of cinema, Happyman.
*hits his hand lurking to the keyboard* ;)

ed111

MBTI Type
INTJ
In no particular order:

1.Bladerunner
2.Rollerball
3.The Blues Brothers
4.The Big Lebowski
5.Little Big Man
6.THX1138
7.12 Angry Men
8.The Straight Story
9.Tron
10.Star Wars
11.Sleeper
12.It's a Wonderful Life
13.The Longest Day
14.2001 A Space Odyssey
15.The Matrix

neptunesnet

man-made
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5&4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Oh, and I love Masculin, Feminin too!

No! It's Godard. For some reason (oblivious to me) I keep making this mistake. I think I've read it somewhere first and now it sticks with me... So you were right. :)

We're a good team, aren't we? ;)

I really like Francois Truffaut - especially Les 'Quatre cents coups' and a bit surrealistic 'Tirez sur le pianiste' (Shoot the pianist). I wonder why he moved to more traditional movies after this one (Though 'Jules et Jim' is still a good one).

This was the exact filmmaker I was thinking of when I asked.
ily.

Luis Bunuel (every movie!), but out of the ones made in 60's - 'Belle de jour'.

I saw this movie about a year ago and still can't get it out of my mind.

Then there is Alan Resnais with 'L'anne derniere a marienbad' (Last year in Marienbad) with script of one of my favourite writers: Alain Robbe-Grillet.

Chris Mark with his experimental movie 'La Jetee'.

Finally Eric Rohmer - 'Ma nuit chez Maud'. One of the best movies about man-woman relations I've ever seen.

Erm, I've never heard of them :huh:
I'm losing my cred...

Well, the whole New Wave of French cinema was amazing. Finally someone tried to do something different, instead of making movies as carbon copies of XIX century narrative novel. (I guess Jodorowsky pulled that even further - but that's topic for a new thread or a even a forum maybe ;) ).

Totally.
I've always been attracted to art that tests convention. Probably because I test convention...sans intention. ;)
Ah! Start the Jodorowsky thread. NOW!

Outside of New Wave I also like Jaques Demy with absolutely charming 'Les parapluies de Cherburg'.

Ah! Never heard of him either. :(
I have a lot of catching up to do, don't I?

Oh, oh, oh! And 'Ascenseur pour l'échafaud' (Lift to the Gallows) by Louis Malle! You can call it my number 16. (L'rite, I know, this one is from 1958 ;) ).

I'm making myself stop now. Enough of cinema, Happyman.
*hits his hand lurking to the keyboard* ;)

ohmygoodness, :laugh: you're so cuuute! I get really excited about things I'm interested in, too, but all of my friends are usually like, "zzZZzz... *yawn* ..oh, what were you saying?" when I rant on and on about my favorite films and what they mean to me.

May I ask from where you've learned all of this?
...You're very interesting :blush:.

Happyman

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
We're a good team, aren't we? ;)

:) Sure!

Totally.
I've always been attracted to art that tests convention. Probably because I test convention...sans intention. ;)
Ah! Start the Jodorowsky thread. NOW!

Exactly, there's something exciting in it.
And... Jodorowsky.. that might have been two people's thread. ;)

Ah! Never heard of him either. :(
I have a lot of catching up to do, don't I?

Catching up is great! It means you have some great movies to see. ;)
And besides, I probably haven't seen a hundred great movies you did see. :)

ohmygoodness, :laugh: you're so cuuute! I get really excited about things I'm interested in, too, but all of my friends are usually like, "zzZZzz... *yawn* ..oh, what were you saying?" when I rant on and on about my favorite films and what they mean to me.

Thankfully I have couple movie-freaks in my family. :D

May I ask from where you've learned all of this?
...You're very interesting :blush:.

Thanks!
Hrm.. I remembe when I've seen 'Slackers', being probably around 11 and I've thought: wow, movies can be done differently! I could never be happy with summer-hit movies again. ;)

PS You're great too, you know that, right? :D

dani_elle

MBTI Type
ENFP
I realize I love a huge number of movies even if I don't watch them all that much. This is my list:

1) The Constant Gardener
What can I say ? Ralph Fiennes' performance was genius.

2) Breakfast at Tiffany's
My second Audrey Hepburn movie after My Fair Lady, a real classic.

3) Moulin Rouge
T'was trippy! And all idealistic. I like that.

4) Up
I think I haven't cried at a cartoon for ages but I was bawling like a baby when I saw this.

5) Leon the Professional
The movie that turned me into a hardcore Natalie Portman fan :)

6) Forrest Gump
..and the damn theme stuck with me too. The one that played with the feather floating about.

7) Love Me If You Dare (Jeux D'enfants)
I, for one, didn't really like Amelie and preferred this.

8) Slumdog Millionaire
JAI HO! I loved all the Bollywood themes running throughout, thought it was a nice touch, and such a good story!

9) The Matrix (first one)
I liked the part with the red pills and the blue pills and the Alice in Wonderland themes. Seeing Keanu gross and slimy is a mental image I can live without, however.

10) The Others

11) Sin City
I think I may be the only female who likes this? I don't really know why either, I just liked the noir quality and the over the top feel.

12) Beauty and the Beast
This was my favourite Disney movie of all time, I think I forced my family to watch it a million times. Hah.

13) Edward Scissorhands
My favourite creepy fairytale-ish sort of deal.

14) Fight Club
I remember being somewhat disturbed when I first watched this, then again I was really quite young then.

15) Mean Girls
I just found it really funny even though it inspired the irritating Halloween is the only time a girl can dress up like a total slut thing which has been repeated, I don't know, 10000x

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
As far as the name goes, Goddard is as good as Godard. They are both Norman variations of Gotthard. Be strong for the Lord. It is not a pagan name, but it has pagan roots.
Hartan is to suffer, to be hard for the Lord. The Lords they come and go.
The director in question is usually referred to as Godard in France. Outside of France it is legitimate to say Goddard. As long as you are a Norman.

ed111

MBTI Type
INTJ
In no particular order:

1.Bladerunner
2.Rollerball
3.The Blues Brothers
4.The Big Lebowski
5.Little Big Man
6.THX1138
7.12 Angry Men
8.The Straight Story
9.Tron
10.Star Wars
11.Sleeper
12.It's a Wonderful Life
13.The Longest Day
14.2001 A Space Odyssey
15.The Matrix

I want to swap Tron for Forrest Gump please. I think the list is about perfect now.

matmos

MBTI Type
NICE
In no particular order, the first 15 that came to mind:

Damnation - dir. Bela Tarr

The Idiots - Lars Von Trier

Vivre sa vie - Godard

Zazie dans le Metro - Louis Malle

Veridiana - Bunuel

Fitzcarraldo - Werner Herzog

Wild Strawberries - Bergman

Carry On Up The Khyber - Gerald Thomas

Pusher - Nicolas Refn

Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer - John McNaughton

The Seventh Victim - prod. Val Lewton

Miller's Crossing - Coen Bros

Mean Streets - Martin Scorsese

8½ - Fellini

Yol -Yilmaz Guney

Edit: Ponder this:[YOUTUBE="pmzPH2B9P3k"]Damnation[/YOUTUBE]

Soar337

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
(Not in order and from the top of my head)

1) Lion King

2) Labyrinth

3) Howl's Moving Castle

4) LOTR's

5) Stranger Than Fiction

7) Spirited Away

8) Alice In Wonderland Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

9) The Shining

10) Cast Away

Oh, FIFTEEN. Ahem, let me continue ..:p

11) Alice In Wonderland

12) Zoolander

13) Chocolat

14) Sleepy Hollow

15) Chicago

Liminality

MBTI Type
ISFx
Enneagram
6w7
1) The parent trap
2) Pan's labyrinth
3) Bed knobs and broomsticks (and Mary poppins and Chitty chitty bang bang)
4) Disney Robin Hood
5) Spirited away
6) The magic pudding
7) The pagmaster
8) Leon
9) Ice age
10)James and the giant peach
11)The secret of nimh
12)Pirate of the carribean: Dead man's chest
13)The fox and the hound
14)Casper
15)Fly away home

Okay so I cheated a little.

Kingfisher

full of love
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly
Full Metal Jacket
Serpico
Enter The Dragon
Dr. Strangelove
One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest
The 36th Chamber of Shaolin
Eight Diagram Pole Fighter
Apocalypse Now
Die Hard (the original)
Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back
The Shining
The Godfather Part 2
City of God
Dog Day Afternoon

edit-
oh, and i forgot Cool Hand Luke

C.J.Woolf

respect the brick
MBTI Type
INTP
Waking Life
Before Sunrise/Before Sunset (cheating, I know)
Annie Hall
Casablanca
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Little Big Man
A Clockwork Orange
Platoon
Full Metal Jacket
Apocalypse Now
An Officer and a Gentleman
The Paper Chase
Blade Runner
Ghost World