• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Final Fantasy Thread

forzen

MBTI Type
INTJ
Never understood why sepheroth was so popular. I mean Magus from chrono trigger was 10x more badass than sepheroth ever was and he joins your frigging party. The good ol 16 bit days of the SNES, good times.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Do I really need to note a spoiler warning on a 14ish year old video game?

I'll take the insane clown that destroys the world (and killed Captain Leo, that bastard!) over Sephiroth. Still, Sephiroth was certainly a pretty well developed villian.

forzen

MBTI Type
INTJ
Haha, i remember that. It's General Leo, kefka killed him when Leo found out that he poisoned the well to kill the enemy. Plus not to mention the first overpower combo in an rpg was offering/genji glove combo with 2 atma weapon.

SuperServal

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Final Fantasy VI was the first (and one of the only) game(s) to make me cry. :puppy_dog_eyes:

I loved the juxtaposition of the crazy anarchy of Kefka with the pathos and dramatic development of the cool protagonists.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
^ For me, Final Fantasy VII probably has the most emotionally impacting scene in a video game. You know the one I'm talking about. Not only was the character a good one, but she was also the only true magic user in the bunch. Powerful from a plot standpoint, and it really affected my gameplay strategy.

Haha, i remember that. It's General Leo, kefka killed him when Leo found out that he poisoned the well to kill the enemy.

GENERAL. Crap. Such a terrible disservice to one of the most noble characters ever to hit a video game.

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I didn't get on board until way late in the series, but I thoroughly enjoyed 10. FF: Crystal Chronicles was also quite fun, though not nearly as emotionally deep as FFX. I also liked 12, and while I enjoyed the story and the complexity of it, I didn't feel as emotionally invested in it as I did with 10. I also think the music in 12 was utter crap, especially when they had only just previously whipped out that amazing orchestrated stuff in 10. However, the characters were very fun in both games.

My party:

FFX: Lulu, Auron, Yuna (when played from the very start, ignoring all the others, this leads to an extremely powerful team capable of ridiculous amounts of damage in the endgame).

FFXII: Balthier, Fran, Bosch. (I totally loved Balthier's character...I mean, who can't love a musket-wielding thief with a puffy shirt and a charming, witty, debonair attitude.)

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I have to say I'm with everyone on 7 being my favorite. :blush:

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
I have played and collect all of the FF games. :smile:

FFVI started it all for me. <3 that game to death.
Shadow, Locke, Terra and Kefka rock. My text ringtone is Kefka's laugh. Slight obsession? Perhaps. As a result I adore anything FF on youtube. :blush:

Final Fantasy College Saga

Wow I feel like I've found a kindred spirit here. :) I just really love Final Fantasy. At this point some of their spinoff stuff is kinda so-so, but I still have to give it a try, because I'm completely hooked. (Here's a tip for everyone: Revenant Wings = meh, while Kingdom Hearts series is teh pwn!!!)

It took me a while to get through that link, but I have to say that it is hilariouly awesome! Thanks for sharing that. :)

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6NIVvqMxZo&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Echannels%2Ecom%2Ffeeds%2Fshow%2F132%2FYouTube%2DTag%2Drobot%2Dchicken%2Dadultswim&feature=player_embedded"]Robot Chicken FFVII Spoof [/YOUTUBE]

This robot chicken sketch made me LMAO! Thanks for that. :D

But final fantasy tactics (the original for the PS1)... don't get me started on that. I probably invested 700 hours into that game. I beat the game three times, had 3 totally maxed files (had everything), yeah. Just playing random battles was fun. I had everyone learn every kind of magic, then made everyone have the secondary job of Calculator, it was beastly.

I love FFT. I think I've played through it three times, and I went through all of the optional content at least once. However you have taken game completion into a new kind of art form. :) It's an awesome game.

For some reason I just didn't get the same feeling from FFT Advance (or Advance2). I'm not exactly sure what it's missing, but it just can't touch the original FFT.

Never understood why sepheroth was so popular. I mean Magus from chrono trigger was 10x more badass than sepheroth ever was and he joins your frigging party. The good ol 16 bit days of the SNES, good times.

Chronotrigger is on my (growing) list of games that I intend to play sometime in the future. I've heard it's awesome, but never gotten around to playing it.

I've rejected every FF game after part V.

No comprendo. Tu hablas ingles? :huh:

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I love FFT. I think I've played through it three times, and I went through all of the optional content at least once. However you have taken game completion into a new kind of art form. :) It's an awesome game.

Yeah after I got literally everything three times it got kinda bleh. But man did I enjoy that game. If you can believe it I had more time invested in FFT than I did in World of Warcraft when I quit. I actually booted up my PS1 and did /played on all of my characters on WoW and WoW paled in comparison... lol. But yeah. Calculators were REALLY overpowered. But fun. :D

Alwar

The Architect
MBTI Type
INTP
Chronotrigger is on my (growing) list of games that I intend to play sometime in the future. I've heard it's awesome, but never gotten around to playing it.

Chrono Trigger is probably my favorite game of all time. I replay it every so often out of nostalgia. I hear people who like CT also like FF6 which is why I want to try it like I said earlier.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
Chrono Trigger is probably my favorite game of all time. I replay it every so often out of nostalgia. I hear people who like CT also like FF6 which is why I want to try it like I said earlier.

I just finished FF6 for the first time a few months ago. I thought it was a really fun game, but I did find it somewhat slow in the beginning. At this point the old sprite based graphics did grate on me some, but overall in spite of the graphics I though it was an exceptional game.

Square has been coming remaking a lot of the older Final Fantasies with 3D graphics on the DS. If you really can't stand sprites, you could wait and see if they remake 6 in 3D. There's no guarantee they'll do it though, and like I said I think the game gets better as you progress further into it. You might just see if you plow your way through it now.

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Has anyone played Dissidia Final Fantasy yet? That and the coming Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep are making me seriously consider buying a cheap craigslist psp to curb this damn video game drought.

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
I've played almost every FF all the way through. Here are my short reviews of them all.

FF1: The start of it all. You have to play it out of respect for what it's done for the entire face of gaming today. The story is okay, but I like the whole death/rebirth cycle that it introduced.

FF2: This game had a pretty interesting story, actually, and it's pretty easy to get into it. The only problem was that leveling up was ridiculously difficult and was really only best done by "cheating" the system. Props for innovation.

FF3: DAMN! This game was GOOD! It pushed the limits of the Famicom to the max. It truly introduced the job system to Final Fantasy, and Light and Dark must join together to defeat the void. Very good game, it's deceptively easy up until the very last dungeon, which is much more difficult than the rest of the game.

FF4: To be honest, I have no idea why this game is revered as much as it is. The story is a lot like Star Wars, and pretty much EVERY character "dies" but they really don't. It's really fucking annoying.

FF5: Ahaha, evil trees be destroyin' the world, yo'. This game had an AMAZING battle system and innovative job system for its time, but its story was pretty cookie-cutterish and predictable.

FF6: FF6 is really enjoyable and has a very interesting story, but the thing that I disliked about it was how you have to gather characters at a certain point in the game. Many seemed almost completely extraneous. Also: if you don't know what you're doing with Shadow...fuck that shit.

FF7: To me, this game is the pinnacle of success. Final Fantasy VII is what brought RPG's truly in the limelight. It had an amazing story, memorable characters, and it really captured the "feel" of being confused and not knowing what to do which parallels reality. I think that's what it comes down to. FFVII was able to make people connect on a deep emotional level because it presented reality through its characters so vividly. I'll agree that it's overhyped, but it's overhyped for a reason.

FF8: Final Fantasy 8 had a really fun battling system (although part of the junction system made it a detriment to use magic, but whatever...that's another story for another time.) I thought the story was pretty good until the third disc or so, if I remember correctly. REALLY good soundtrack and addicting card game.

FF9: This is the only one (barring 11) of the main FF series I haven't completed for some reason. (I would always just get to the second continent and stop, nfc why.) Now my discs aren't good enough to use anymore, and I don't own a playstation. So I can't play it, but I'll get through it one of these days. It has an AMAZING soundtrack (Frontier Village Dali, anyone?)

FF10: This game was REALLY good. I replayed it recently to see where the hell it went wrong because I was pissed off after I beat it the first time. Up until the major "plot twist" (which really came out of left field, if they left it out, the game would still have been really amazing, better imo.) It had a fun battle system, a good story, (decent) voice actors, and memorable characters.

FF12: This game had a fun battle system, but the story wasn't very good. The game was just way too linear for my tastes, and the only real side quest you could do were collecting summons and fighting bounties, which just took too long in general and weren't that rewarding. (Gilgamesh was full of nostalgic win though.) The grinding of some bounties were just ridiculous.

FFTactics: Amazing game, #2 in the series to me. Taking from Tactics Ogre's battle system, FFT sported an amazing job class system and story line. After you got into the game, it was extremely hard to put it down (unless if you kept fucking up a battle and became frustrated.) I made it all the way to Gafgarion in chapter 2 before I learned how to change classes. It has a pretty steep learning curve at first, but the amazingness this game brings is worth it. Truly an amazing game everyone should pick up some time.

FFMystic Quest: Ahahaha, yes, I've played FFMQ. It's pretty terrible, isn't anything like a FF game, and the battle system sucks, but it has a place in my heart for the nostalgia it induces to me.

Ranked:
FFVII
FFT
FFVI
FFX/FFIII
FFV
FFXII
FFVIII
FFI
FFII
FFMQ
FFIV

Alwar

The Architect
MBTI Type
INTP
I just finished FF6 for the first time a few months ago. I thought it was a really fun game, but I did find it somewhat slow in the beginning. At this point the old sprite based graphics did grate on me some, but overall in spite of the graphics I though it was an exceptional game.

Square has been coming remaking a lot of the older Final Fantasies with 3D graphics on the DS. If you really can't stand sprites, you could wait and see if they remake 6 in 3D. There's no guarantee they'll do it though, and like I said I think the game gets better as you progress further into it. You might just see if you plow your way through it now.

I don't mind the old graphics, can't really imagine spending money on games anymore.

It has an AMAZING soundtrack (Frontier Village Dali, anyone?)

This? I haven't played FF9 myself, but I love RPG soundtracks.

[YOUTUBE="KPyNbti2eCw"]Village of Dali (Original)[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE="-FiH5NxeObQ"]Village of Dali (Piano)[/YOUTUBE]

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Yeah dude, you can't go wrong with that song. It's so relaxing. I'm reluctant to hit quick reply and interrupt its playing right now to be honest.

Time to play it on Winamp. B^)

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
Has anyone played Dissidia Final Fantasy yet? That and the coming Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep are making me seriously consider buying a cheap craigslist psp to curb this damn video game drought.

I plan on getting Dissidia sometime next month. If you do get a PSP let me just add that you should get Crisis Core:FFVII. It's not as good as the original game, but it's still very fun and one of the best games on the PSP. Also I want to add that I enjoy the good games on the PSP more than I enjoy the good games on the DS. It's just that there are so few good games on the PSP that it's pretty easy to run out of games to play.

I don't mind the old graphics, can't really imagine spending money on games anymore.

I don't understand. Do you not play games anymore? :huh: Well if you have access to a PS1, PS2 or PS3 and the PS1 version of FF6 then I'd recommend playing it. If the graphics don't bother you then I think you'll enjoy it a lot.

FFTactics: Amazing game, #2 in the series to me. Taking from Tactics Ogre's battle system, FFT sported an amazing job class system and story line. After you got into the game, it was extremely hard to put it down (unless if you kept fucking up a battle and became frustrated.) I made it all the way to Gafgarion in chapter 2 before I learned how to change classes. It has a pretty steep learning curve at first, but the amazingness this game brings is worth it. Truly an amazing game everyone should pick up some time.

It's nice to meet another big Final Fantasy enthusiast. :) I think the fact that VII and Tactics were released just a year apart from each other really made people fall in love with the series. Those two games are a serious one-two punch that is hard to resist.

Tell me have you played Tactics Ogre? That is one game that I'm tempted to buy, but the price is always so high. If you've played it, is it worth the buy? Would you rank it higher, lower or about the same as FFT?

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together was an AMAZING game, even moreso than FFT because it's a bit less linear, and depending on the protagonist's actions, the story would change (eight possible endings.) The job and the battle system will seem a bit more basic compared to FFT, but it's still a really solid game (and difficult too.) Then again, Tactics Ogre originally was produced on the Super Famicom and was ported over to the playstation later.

I would say the game is definitely worth playing, but I don't believe in spending over $100 dollars for it...which is what it's likely to cost. I'd say emulate it.

Tactics Ogre: Knight of Lodis was also really fun for the GBA; much better than Tactics Advance imo.

EDIT: Just check out the reviews for the game Tactics Ogre Reviews for PlayStation - GameFAQs

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together was an AMAZING game, even moreso than FFT because it's a bit less linear, and depending on the protagonist's actions, the story would change (eight possible endings.) The job and the battle system will seem a bit more basic compared to FFT, but it's still a really solid game (and difficult too.) Then again, Tactics Ogre originally was produced on the Super Famicom and was ported over to the playstation later.

I would say the game is definitely worth playing, but I don't believe in spending over $100 dollars for it...which is what it's likely to cost. I'd say emulate it.

Tactics Ogre: Knight of Lodis was also really fun for the GBA; much better than Tactics Advance imo.

EDIT: Just check out the reviews for the game Tactics Ogre Reviews for PlayStation - GameFAQs

Thanks for the feedback. :) I definitely have to play this game sometime. (*gets out huge list of games to play and puts Tactics Ogre on it.*) I don't think I could do the pirating thing though. This is partly because of principals and partly because I like to pervertedly fondle the CD case and instruction manual. ("You have arrived from Amazon my preciousssss." :D) Really fun but obscure games are my favorites, so this game comes to my mind a lot. :)