• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Vampire Weekend?

SuperServal

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I'll be D from Vampire Hunter D. He's a vampire and a vampire hunter. The best of both dark worlds.

Who will be Alucard....made famous in the Castlevania series?

metaphours

cast shadows
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Linkin Park is still relevant? That's unfortunate...
Actually, not really. I just had to choose a mainstream alternative band that pretty much everyone has heard of to represent rock fairly against rap.

Oh, and if you like Vampire Weekend, check out Born Ruffians. They had some unfortunate timing in the release of their debut, "Red, Yellow, and Blue" (Kurt Vonnegut, I Need a Life, and Badonka Donkey in particular), as it was around the same time as Vampire Weekend's, so they tend to get compared to them.
I'd heard Born Ruffians prior to your post and I actually like them better than Vampire Weekend.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Imagine living in the UK where they overhype everything!

The Outsider

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Just listened to a song on Youtube. Sounds awful to me.

The Outsider

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yeah probably, adding another one with a slight indie rock twist and roots in America, rather than the sweet old Norge might be too much for me.

In seriousness though, listening to whatever genre of music doesn't make other genres is no way less appealing to me. Limiting oneself in such way is senseless.

There just isn't much appeal in this band for me.

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
And I think Vampire Weekend are great, for what it's worth. Hype matters nothing when it comes to music.

Too right. I was actually listening to their album on my Ipod as I went out this morning to do all my stuff, and the entire album just puts a cheerful bounce into my step.

Just another ISTJ

MBTI Type
IsTj
Enneagram
1w9
Actually, not really. I just had to choose a mainstream alternative band that pretty much everyone has heard of to represent rock fairly against rap.

That's a relief.

I'd heard Born Ruffians prior to your post and I actually like them better than Vampire Weekend.

Nice. I wish the band had more exposure among the indie rock crowd.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Yeah I agree, there are way better bands than Vampire Weekend.

There are better bands. Certainly more challenging ones. I just enjoy that debut album. It's rare for a band to put out such a fully-realized debut. I heard "Mansard Roof" two years ago, and I was charmed. The song from Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist was very good, too. Right now, I am listening to a lot of older music, but new stuff, too. Dirty Projectors, PNAU, The Big Pink, Jens Lekman, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, etc.

Lux

Kraken down on piracy
Vampire Weekend is a decent band. They make a great soundtrack for a road trip. M79 always puts a smile on my face.

Hype matters nothing when it comes to music.
I really agree with this now, but it used really bother me. Now I just enjoy the music I like.

r.a

meat popsicle
MBTI Type
STFU
i first heard about vampire weekend from some local hipsters a couple years back. it didn't strike me as anything special when i heard it. sounded like a bland imitation of a hundred other bland bands imitating other bands.

then they got famous. so i listened again. i put my objective ears on. they still did nothing for me. overrated indeed.

i guess one good thing could be attributed to our ADD culture. sooner than later, people forget about lots and lots of bands. i hope they are among that majority.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
i first heard about vampire weekend from some local hipsters a couple years back. it didn't strike me as anything special when i heard it. sounded like a bland imitation of a hundred other bland bands imitating other bands.

then they got famous. so i listened again. i put my objective ears on. they still did nothing for me. overrated indeed.

i guess one good thing could be attributed to our ADD culture. sooner than later, people forget about lots and lots of bands. i hope they are among that majority.

I feel very differently. I hadn't heard many 2000s bands who were making stuff that had the indie rock feel but were clear inheritors to what Talking Heads, Peter Gabriel, and Paul Simon were doing in the 1980s.

r.a

meat popsicle
MBTI Type
STFU
david byrne, peter gabriel and paul simon are immensely talented and innovative artists.

vampire weekend may have good influences, but it ends there for me

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
david byrne, peter gabriel and paul simon are immensely talented and innovative artists.

vampire weekend may have good influences, but it ends there for me

They have a high percentage of good songs, especially for having not yet released their second album.