• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Anyone here snowboard?

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I'm totally stoked. It's going to be my first time this December, we've already planned the trip out. I'm going to slowly buy the gear I need to go, and it'll be my first time seeing more snow than a few flurries on the ground. I can hardly wait, and it's only August.

So! Anyone here tried snowboarding? If so, how long? Any tips or advice? I've been browsing sales online of snowboards, and looking up 'how to buy' guides online that have been semi-useful.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I tried it once. (yes, once) It was a blast, I need to go out this winter again!

395436475_46f037fab4.jpg

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I do. :D

I got a snowboard for my 15th birthday and it still fits. I only went about 3 or 4 times this past winter, but it was still fun. The closest ski resort is well over an hour away, and it's not that great.

But I don't really fir into the Snowboarder stereotype, bro.

Usehername

On a mission
I tried one time when I was in the Rockies. I didn't like it. My brain understood how to redistribute my weight to vary speed and direction, but my body couldn't catch on, so I was either going fullspeedwithoutcontrol or landing abruptly on body parts. I also feel like it would've been easy to break something (felt like I had a close call with my ankle) because I wasn't very good at the smooth transitioning between starting and stopping, and your feet are locked in place so you kind of have to be good at that.

(Note: I am reasonably athletic, and I really sucked. I didn't like it enough to work past the hard part of learning basic skills.)

ISTPs tend to be excellent at it.

Usehername

On a mission
I should also add that if you get a part time job at a cycle and ski shop dealers will sometimes sell things to you for ridiculously cheap prices so that you will use their product and ideally sell more of it to customers because you can speak from experience of saying "this stuff is good in x conditions, because of this feature, and I like this thing about it..."

(Sometimes you fill out staff purchase order forms, sometimes they give you a secret website for pro deal discounts, and if you show up to the PK (product knowledge) meeting to learn their product's qualities, you get a pass code and can buy great things for better prices.)

Like, real cheap. It's a magical thing that makes me look at retail and go :shock: why would anyone spend that much money!

The shop doesn't have to carry the product, it just needs the brand. We don't actually sell snowboards, but I can still get them at pro deal pricing.

nomadic

mountain surfing
MBTI Type
enfp
i snowboard my butt off until I unknowlingly jumped off a cliff in Tahoe and broke my foot and had to have surgery. (note, when you see a "caution tape" no matter how skinny the tape looks, it means something big)

then 3 years ago, I tore my ACL in a softball game and had to get surgery. So the past 7 years, I only been boarding like 10 times or so, but before that I used to go at least 30 times a year for about 6 years.

my advice for first time equipment buy is:

1) Buy comfortable boots. Very very important. Make sure it is COMFORTABLE. If you get so so boots, the amt your feet will hurt will be unbearable... esp. after 2 hours or so of boarding.
2) Spend some money on better gloves. You don't want your hands to get wet or else you will feel miserable.
3) layer of thermal makes you a lot warmer than you think.

As for boards, its not as important if you are a beginner. You can get something cheap, and get a better board as you get better.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
^ :) Yeah, I'm just going for something pretty that won't break board-wise. I already have some thermal gear, albeit a bit unfashionable via the army, but it'll work, so I just need snow gear.

I was thinking of going to a shop and trying on some different types of boots to see what fits well or what-not, and then ordering them online for cheaper once I find a pair I like. So far online deals are the best ones.. I've been browsing craigslist though for someone that's decided to give up their stuff.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
No, but I want to. You should pick me up on the way. You owe me after not taking me to Disneyworld. :cool:

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
^ :laugh: I just bought my board today.

burt-feelgood-ics-52--blk-09-prod.jpg

It was 50% off, and I was tired of trying to make a decision. 152cm.

T

ThatGirl

I snowboarded for two years, when I worked at the ski resort. Good times.

First time I went I ate shit so hard bashing my knee open. Moral of the story, have someone show you how to stop before standing up at the top of the mountain.

Simple as this, keep your knees bent and lift your heels, then put them down and lift your toes distributing your weight in accordance. Have fun, don't eat shit, and watch out for beginner skiers. Their little s thing they do sucks ass. Its always the S'.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I ski, but my brother snowboards. The only thing more fun than barreling down an icy mountain with nothing more than a thin piece of fiberglass encased wood strapped to you, is to do it with one on each foot!

You're going to have a blast.

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP
So! Anyone here tried snowboarding? If so, how long? Any tips or advice? I've been browsing sales online of snowboards, and looking up 'how to buy' guides online that have been semi-useful.
Good for you - I bet you'll have a blast! I skiied a lot when I was in high school (ski-spoiled Rocky-Mtn kid who lived an hour from the lift - nowadays it'd be a 2-day drive :(), but I never tried snowboarding. Always wanted to, but it was just starting to get popular, and wasn't even allowed everywhere in those days (yeah, I'm old :alttongue:), so I stuck to skiing. One of these days I'll go to Colorado and give it a shot.

watch out for beginner skiers. Their little s thing they do sucks ass. Its always the S'.
Especially watch out for the beginning 6-year old skiiers. Those little buggers have no fear, and are close enough to the ground that falling doesn't hurt much. They also move surprisingly fast :D.

Uytuun

MBTI Type
nnnn
Yeah, once - I'm probably not particularly gifted, but I fell A LOT. Please try to fall backwards (seriously, it hurts like hell when you smack into the snow and it smashes the air out of your lungs). Don't get discouraged when you can't stand up on your board immediately and don't overthink it. I was black, blue and completely stiff after that time, all I was capable of was rolling into bed and my neck turned out to be whiplashed.

But I'd do it again. It feels pretty cool when you make it down the mountain. :)

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
As it's your first time I'd say hire what you need.

millerm277

MBTI Type
ISTP
I'm totally stoked. It's going to be my first time this December, we've already planned the trip out. I'm going to slowly buy the gear I need to go, and it'll be my first time seeing more snow than a few flurries on the ground. I can hardly wait, and it's only August.

One tip. Take a full-day lesson (not sure you live, but if you're on the east coast, where are you going? I know most areas decently.), and get a helmet at least until you master the basics.

Anyway....it's a lot of fun. I rock at it, but I prefer skiing by a large amount, only learned it for out west on the days when you need a board to do anything (skis, even fat ones, aren't so hot when a 5ft storm comes through.).

As for a few general tips....take things at your own pace for learning, and never let someone push you onto terrain you aren't comfortable with. Learn to fall. You'll do it plenty at first, get someone to show you how to not get hurt and get yourself back up quickly. Other than that, have fun. :D Oh, and don't get discouraged if by the end of the first day, you still suck, it does usually take a couple days...

LunaIndigo

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I've only ever gone skiing and I suck at it big time. I've always wanted to try snow boarding though. It looks a lot more fun than skiing.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I snowboarded for two years, when I worked at the ski resort. Good times.

First time I went I ate shit so hard bashing my knee open. Moral of the story, have someone show you how to stop before standing up at the top of the mountain.

Simple as this, keep your knees bent and lift your heels, then put them down and lift your toes distributing your weight in accordance. Have fun, don't eat shit, and watch out for beginner skiers. Their little s thing they do sucks ass. Its always the S'.

Reading this, I equated it to the time I tried ice skating.. and disliked it more than rollerskating only because people alway stop by tapping their skate on the ice, taking little chunks out of the ice, and I'd always trip over those little holes.

How tall are you?

I'm 5'3". It comes to about my nose when I measured 152cm on the tape measure.

I ski, but my brother snowboards. The only thing more fun than barreling down an icy mountain with nothing more than a thin piece of fiberglass encased wood strapped to you, is to do it with one on each foot!

You're going to have a blast.

Why thank you!

One tip. Take a full-day lesson (not sure you live, but if you're on the east coast, where are you going? I know most areas decently.), and get a helmet at least until you master the basics.

Anyway....it's a lot of fun. I rock at it, but I prefer skiing by a large amount, only learned it for out west on the days when you need a board to do anything (skis, even fat ones, aren't so hot when a 5ft storm comes through.).

As for a few general tips....take things at your own pace for learning, and never let someone push you onto terrain you aren't comfortable with. Learn to fall. You'll do it plenty at first, get someone to show you how to not get hurt and get yourself back up quickly. Other than that, have fun. :D Oh, and don't get discouraged if by the end of the first day, you still suck, it does usually take a couple days...

Yeah, I've already gotten used to the fact that I'll be falling a lot. I'm no talent at anything I try, but I'm hard headed so I'll probably stick with it till I get it.

I have a couple reason for buying my gear instead of renting it, too, Trinity. :) Although it was a close call between the two.

ORWH.jpg

Currently, I've bought my boots, size 8. Aren't they adorable?! :D!

I'm having trouble buying bindings.. I mean, not really, since I know the sort of bindings I need (Burton EST's to go with my board.. they, too, are about 50% off depending on where I shop), but things like flex ratings, and all that jazz, are driving me up a wall.