• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

District 9?

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
SCREW YOU!!!!!

Uber, do you know why I'm such a happy person?

Because I am the most popular person on TypeC. As long people laugh at my jokes, I can do anything I want. Anything. In fact, the only thing I ever worry about is, that one day... if some idiot trolls too hard, it all might end.

And you're fucking making it happen!!!

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP

Because I am the most popular person on TypeC. As long people laugh at my jokes, I can do anything I want. Anything. In fact, the only thing I ever worry about is, that one day... if some idiot trolls too hard, it all might end.

Wait, wait. What movie is this from?

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram

Now we know that Jack really is innocent! You Fucktard!

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
The Dearborn Independent is where the real news is. News and views and Jews.

There are too many inside jokes here for me to keep up.

I haven't felt this confused since that time I signed a usury agreement with Rothschild Bank.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
There are too many inside jokes here for me to keep up.

I haven't felt this confused since that time I signed a usury agreement with Rothschild Bank.

What was the interest on your pound of flesh?

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I just saw this movie, wow what a trip. It was very intense, I enjoyed it. It was depressing, since it seems so real. At least they didn't kill Christopher... that would have really made me mad.

BlueSky

MBTI Type
ISTJ
I dont understand how people liked District 9. I went in the theater expecting to see some allegory of racial conflict or immigration. Instead I got some mindless action movie kind of thing with MASSIVE plot holes. What is there to like about something like that?

EDIT: I forgot to mention that during the first half of the movie I was in pain because of the way they were handling the camera.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
just saw it.

AMAZING.

seriously.

worth the money.

watch.

Actually I wish I could just half my money back...for the second half.

The first half was phenomenal...it hinted at all kinds of very scary philosophical questions in a very clever way (political commentary on immigration and such was awesome.)

I liked this rottentomates review:

"Once you've watched a doomed alien race become obsessed with cat food and Nigerian prostitutes, gunfights don't seem all that impressive anymore."

Anyway though...

Wikus - ISFP!!
Tanya - ISFJ
Evil Father In-Law - ENTJ
Christopher - INFJ

anybody?

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
I just saw this, having spent a few weeks dodging spoilers. It wasn't worth it. I don't watch alien movies just to receive thinly-veiled messages about the evils of racism. Setting it in SA? Making the main (racist) character an Afrikaaner? Putting the aliens in slum districts? How obvious can you get? This was barely a sci-fi movie imo, and pushing a message so thoroughly approved that I wonder if it even needs to be said again (and so clumsily). The only redeeming feature for me was my inexplicable amusement every time Wikus said "prawns".

I really don't see what all the fuss is about, and I'm a very soft judge when it comes to sci-fi movies. Honestly, I thought Independence Day was a better movie. Independence Day!! :doh:

Last edited:

r.a

meat popsicle
MBTI Type
STFU
The first half was phenomenal...it hinted at all kinds of very scary philosophical questions in a very clever way (political commentary on immigration and such was awesome.)

true but the second half was awesome in its own right! i'm kinda glad that the movie didnt spend too much time getting in depth on the politics and social issues cause OK I GET IT LETS SEE SOME MOTHERFUCKERS EXPLODE.

the second half delivers on that front.

I liked this rottentomates review:

"Once you've watched a doomed alien race become obsessed with cat food and Nigerian prostitutes, gunfights don't seem all that impressive anymore."

yeah its kind of ridiculous but the meat of the movie outweighs the many many holes and question marks. i went to the movies to be entertained. and i was.

Anyway though...

Wikus - ISFP!!
Tanya - ISFJ
Evil Father In-Law - ENTJ
Christopher - INFJ

anybody?

its only appropriate that the best character in the movie is INFJ ;)

TopherRed

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
^ Yeah, but if they would've had more ENFJs in there, none of that would've happened! Bring on the smart, diplomatic Prawns!

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ok, now I need to treat myself to a night out... it's been forever since I saw a movie... and most suck.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
ok, now I need to treat myself to a night out... it's been forever since I saw a movie... and most suck.

Just be sure to leave half way through and get your money back; that way you can kill two birds with one stone.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I'd see it. Does it have some relation to the Halo game series storyline? I've heard it does.

metaphours

cast shadows
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
HOLY FUCKING SHIT.

Just watched it.

I waited 6 hours for this Russian bootleg version with subtitles to finish downloading, and every minute of waiting I endured was completely and utterly worth it.

Honestly, going into District 9, I really didn't know what to expect. Other than the trailer and the viral marketing campaign, there wasn't much about the premise other than the fact that aliens landed over Johannesburg and they were being kept in the titular District 9. But, when I watched it I realized it wasn't at all what I had expected, but in fact, a whole lot better.

I love how the filmmakers purposely made Wickus resemble Hitler, although I think they should have somehow had him shave his moustache off after his "transformation" to sort of symbolize his transition from a discriminatory and prejudice character to a man who sympathizes with the Prawns. I also liked the very subtle foreshadowing that was used (e.g.: when the Nigerian druglord is talking to Wickus, he is smoking a cigarette. You see smoke billowing out of the butte and out towards the side of his head, foreshadowing his death by point blank shot to the forehead).

All in all, I loved the movie and it was actually kind of sad, but at the same time extremely intense. Definitely one of the best of 2009, and I'd watch it again in a heartbeat.