• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

KID A: The Metaphours Analysis

metaphours

cast shadows
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Nah, they won't ever match that record.

The newer stuff is pretty cool and the whole Marr thing is nice, but Isaac Brock is too happy now to write anything that powerful again.

True, but I like the interesting style that's seen on their later albums. Like "Float On", which is truly awe inspiring and in my opinion one of the greatest songs of the past decade.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
It's a shame I agree with you on so many bands or I would have more motivation to continue arguing.

The Moon and Antarctica is my favorite album of all time, so...I'll let you go. :)

That's my favorite Modest Mouse album, although Lonesome Crowded West is great, too.

iamathousandapples

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w6
Death Magnetic and Reload aren't bad. Metallica is better than . . . And Justice for All.

Discounting the vocals, Death Magnetic was fairly good. Reload left a very bad taste in my mouth.

Although they did miss out on an amazing bass player...
[youtube="mB7nzGSiYeM"]Jason Newsted played this[/youtube]

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Metallica is definitely catchier than ...Justice. It takes a few listens but when you really listen to it, Justice has its moments. ...Justice is more like progressive metal rather than the thrash metal of Master and Ride the Lightning that makes Metallica a household name.

I am pretty sure the concentrated blasts of hard rock on Metallica made Metallica a household name. They sold a good amount of records before that, but with very little radio airplay. They didn't even make a video until "One" in 1988.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
True, but I like the interesting style that's seen on their later albums. Like "Float On", which is truly awe inspiring and in my opinion one of the greatest songs of the past decade.

That song is good, but give me "3rd Planet" or "We've Got Everything" over it any day.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

I liked Float On; the way it goes together with The World At Large is really cool. Try it on piano!

But I also think that album had better tracks--namely, "The Ocean Breathes Salty." Some of Brock's best lyrics to date.

metaphours

cast shadows
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I liked Float On; the way it goes together with The World At Large is really cool. Try it on piano!

But I also think that album had better tracks--namely, "The Ocean Breathes Salty." Some of Brock's best lyrics to date.

Actually, I take back my statement about Float On. Ocean Breathes Salty is indeed my favorite track off of that album.
Also, I just listened to We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank in it's entirety, and I just don't get why it got some of the flak that it did. I mean, 3/5 stars from Rolling Stone. WTF??? Some of the tracks are just pure genius, namely "Dashboard," "We've Got Everything," "March into the Sea," and "Little Motel."

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
Counting Crows were solid in the '90s, and their most recent album is pretty good, too. In that same genre, I always thought The Wallflowers were underrated.

Yeh, I quite like Counting Crows newest album. The Sunday Mornings half is a great listen. I love "On almost any Sunday morning".

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Allmusic.com does quite an accurate job as well

That's my general music review/info site. The Rough Guides to Rock was probably my single favorite book/website for music criticism, but they are no longer all available online.

fill

"Everything in its place"
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I just finished listening to this album, and the one day I decide to look at the Arts & Entertainment section, I see a thread over it.

I love this album like no other, and How to Disappear Completely is... perfect.

I use Pitchfork.com, but they're sort of an asshole-ish indie magazine, and their reviews are off the wall sometimes.

SuperServal

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Pitchfork can be pretty entertaining. Yeah, they fall into indie wankery now and then, but as an indie fan....I can't help but love the site. I balance that out by going to Allmusic which is a great general music barometer. I also regularly visit Rate Your Music to hear the voices of the common folk. I think the three work great in tandem.

metaphours

cast shadows
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Pitchfork can be pretty entertaining. Yeah, they fall into indie wankery now and then, but as an indie fan....I can't help but love the site. I balance that out by going to Allmusic which is a great general music barometer. I also regularly visit Rate Your Music to hear the voices of the common folk. I think the three work great in tandem.
I'm an indie kid, so I'm pretty much obligated to go to pitchfork, but when they fail to deliver the goods, allmusic is my backup.

+ I always check metacritic for the average review, so that way I know I'm good and not getting a biased review.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
I'm an indie kid, so I'm pretty much obligated to go to pitchfork, but when they fail to deliver the goods, allmusic is my backup.

+ I always check metacritic for the average review, so that way I know I'm good and not getting a biased review.

I really don't use Pitchfork, and I make out OK. Music for Robots is decent. Not as extensive or frequently updated as Pitchfork, though.

Music For Robots