• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Quarter Back Steve McNair - RIP

Misty_Mountain_Rose

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
A bit ago here on our local news channel there was a breaking story interruption... it seems that Steve McNair has been found shot to death here in Nashville. It isn't on most news radars yet, but I imagine its going to be all over by this evening. :cry:

What a hell of a couple weeks for famous icons. :(

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Aw man. The last Oilers quarterback. Really sorry to hear that. :(

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
I've been an Oiler/Titan fan for over 20 years and I'm still in shock over this one. The police are saying it might have been a murder-suicide committed by his girlfriend.

MBTI Type
INTJ
This is very sad. I was a big fan of McNair. He was an exemplary player and leader, and he was the toughest QB I've ever seen. I don't know the circumstances of his marriage, but I really hope he wasn't cheating with the girl that apparently shot him. He was someone that could really be a role model.

nomadic

mountain surfing
MBTI Type
enfp
im more depressed because when im 37, i don't think i will be famous enough and rich enough to have a 20 year old girlfriend on the side... good dose of reality for mwah.

either way, RIP

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
R.I.P. so many famous deaths recently.

So many celebrities. As dictated by our 24/7 need for human contact, even if false. In the absence of real community we elevate strangers to places of importance in our lives because their faces appear on our screens. We identify with them and see them as someone noteworthy while never really getting to know those around us.

In the past, we memorialized our neighbors at their funerals. Now we memorialize celebrities we never knew.

Misty_Mountain_Rose

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
So many celebrities. As dictated by our 24/7 need for human contact, even if false. In the absence of real community we elevate strangers to places of importance in our lives because their faces appear on our screens. We identify with them and see them as someone noteworthy while never really getting to know those around us.

In the past, we memorialized our neighbors at their funerals. Now we memorialize celebrities we never knew.

You make it sound as if noting the loss of an admired role model is a bad thing?

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx

People still memoralize neighbors at funerals. And people have been memorializing celebrities for a long time. I don't know how far in the past you're talking, but it's not a recent trend.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
You make it sound as if noting the loss of an admired role model is a bad thing?

Not if it is truly an admired role model.

People still memoralize neighbors at funerals. And people have been memorializing celebrities for a long time. I don't know how far in the past you're talking, but it's not a recent trend.

Yes, but surely celebrity fetishism has been on the rise while community relationships have declined. Maybe it's just me.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yes, but surely celebrity fetishism has been on the rise while community relationships have declined. Maybe it's just me.

You're probably right about that, and most likely it correlates with the huge increase in media coverage of celebrities where you can pretty much non-stop 24/7 get your celeb fix if that's what you're into.

I think there are plenty of people that don't take celebrity admiration to that extreme, though, and can certainly feel sad for the passing of somebody they admired as a person or for their talents at least.

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
McNair wasn't a celebrity, at least not in the conventional sense. He was just a retired NFL quarterback, not nearly as famous as Manning or Brady.