• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Best Rock Solo

lowtech redneck

MBTI Type
INTP
It's not that what he's doing isn't difficult, just that it's not really unique.

If it sounds good, who cares if its unique? I would much rather listen to derivative music that sounds good than unique or original music that bores me to tears. And I would also much rather listen to eighties metal/hard rock rather than the Beatles, just like I would rather read horror/detective novels by modern writers rather than Poe, even though the latter was far more groundbreaking.

The Outsider

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
My favorite solo:
[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6KgbSnCZfM"]Green Carnation - Light of Day, Day of Darkness[/YOUTUBE]
It is part of an hour long song, the solo starts at 1:39 in this video. Not a very technically complex solo I guess, but I don't care about technicality, I just find it to be extremely beautiful.

Runner up:
[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVSpsVS7JzM"]maudlin of the Well - Blight of River Systems[/YOUTUBE]
The guitar solos start at 3:39 and go on all the way to the end. A lot more technicality and complexity here.

Kaizer

sophiloist
MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Here are two:
[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9ohBMozCzI&feature=related"]"High Hopes (solo) - David Gilmour, Royal Albert Hall[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3yG8ecnJRQ"]High Hopes (solo) - David Gilmour, Meltdown festival[/YOUTUBE]

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
[YOUTUBE="hTdMJuu9qYg"]Hit Me with your Best Shot[/YOUTUBE]

I love Neil Giraldo's solo in this song. It's one of those memorable ones that's not just musical jacking off--it really fits the song, and there are no notes that don't belong there. Also, I could, right this very moment, sing this entire solo from memory. That's usually the case with the ones that really stand out to me.

MBTI Type
INTJ
I'm not a particular fan of Joe Perry's playing, but I always thought this solo was amazing, and actually a natural extension of the song.

[YOUTUBE=1qRTu5I2loY]Aerosmith - Dude Looks Like A Lady[/YOUTUBE]

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
[youtube="fLad9MjyT70"]Cliff Burton bass solos = Awesomness[/youtube]

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
^ I always thought somebody should have informed him that Metallica already had two guitar players.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
If it sounds good, who cares if its unique? I would much rather listen to derivative music that sounds good than unique or original music that bores me to tears. And I would also much rather listen to eighties metal/hard rock rather than the Beatles, just like I would rather read horror/detective novels by modern writers rather than Poe, even though the latter was far more groundbreaking.

See, this is a difficult topic.

The way I see it, there are two methods of evaluating art.

One is entirely subjective--what you like is up to you and I can't really argue with that. If you enjoy Poison more than you enjoy the Beatles, fair enough.

But then there's the whole quasi-objective "general consensus of supposedly informed people" thing, which, while it can't be proven, seems to be given a certain amount of weight anyway.

You can't prove that Hendrix was better at guitar than I am, but if I make a claim to the contrary I won't be taken very seriously.

I have no intention of disputing what you should or should not enjoy...I'm attempting to approximate objectivity by considering critical consensus of the informed.

So when I say The Beatles are better than Poison, I don't mean that your opinion that Poison is more enjoyable than The Beatles is invalid...that's just not really what I'm referring to.

Shimmy

MBTI Type
SEXY
[YOUTUBE="wwr0WggU03g"]The Mars Volta - Vicarious Atonement[/YOUTUBE]

I love the intro guitar to that song. It's artsy. Omar Rodriguez Lopez is one of my all time favourite guitarists.

Shimmy

MBTI Type
SEXY
One of the greatest achievements of human emotion, not just in song writing, but in general as well:

[YOUTUBE="9FtgbIQyWxk"]Pink Floyd - Shine On You Crazy Diamond Pt. I, II & III[/YOUTUBE]

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I was going to add my 2 cents on the Owner of a Lonely Heart riff when I found someone already listed it! But let me share this: I know it's a little off topic but enjoy!

Alex Depue - This is very difficult bow control. He's amazing!

YouTube - MJ Violin

Annyong

MBTI Type
ENTP
I love a good Jimmy Page solo. I particularly like his solo on Black Dog.
And for something more modern, anyone like the Raconteurs? I like the solo on Many Shades of Black.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I was going to add my 2 cents on the Owner of a Lonely Heart riff when I found someone already listed it! But let me share this: I know it's a little off topic but enjoy!

Alex Depue - This is very difficult bow control. He's amazing!

YouTube - MJ Violin

Yes! I've had that favorited for a long time. So cool.

And for something more modern, anyone like the Raconteurs? I like the solo on Many Shades of Black.

Yes to both! I am a big fan of Jack White's. I think he's almost singlehandedly keeping rock alive.

MBTI Type
INTJ

Annyong! :)

I love Jack White's playing. That's a good solo, as are the ones on the Raconteurs' "Store Bought Bones" and "Blue Veins". The White Stripes' music actually doesn't have a lot of solos, but he has awesome ones on "Ball and Biscuit" and "Death Letter".

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I like the guit solo in 'Owner of a Lonely Heart' by YES. BADASS.

haha, yeah - but it needs more cowbell.

Both solos in: Van Halen - I'm The One

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6l0dKFPUiY&feature=related"]I'm The One[/YOUTUBE]