• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Jazz!

kuranes

MBTI Type
XNXP
i think a lot of times jazz musicians are not really playing for other musicians, it just seems that way because they have reached such an incredible level of technical mastery. some of them become so skilled that they start to really experiment with music theory, and i think maybe that is not as approachable to the average listener.
But some of them realize that it is not not very approachable and either use the new music theory accordingly, to bring them in regardless, in a way not done before, or..... they do not realize ( or care ) about this.
well i am a huge fan of Ornette Coleman and John Coltrane. they are pretty different stylisticly. Coleman and Coltrane were only a couple of years difference in age, and actually Coleman's first avant garde experimentation with jazz was a few years before Coltrane was starting to experiment. Coleman is definitely not a parody of Coltrane, in fact a lot of people point to Ornette Coleman as being one of the first innovators in free jazz and avant garde jazz.
Apparently this guy who I was reading on the subject ( assuming I even remember his words correctly ) was wrong. Thank you for correcting me on that.

It doesn't change my opinion about how "catchy" such music is, however. The video you provided of Ornette is indeed more accessible than the one you provided of Coltrane, but I didn't enjoy either one very much. Still, this may be a deficit in me, rather than the music, as I indicated in the post re: Stravinsky.

There was a guy named Don Cherry in Ornette's band IIRC, and it was fun to see him contribute to a loose rock tune by Lou Reed. It's a song more oriented to the vocals/lyrics, admittedly, with just a repetitive music structure, but the horn does seem expressive nevertheless.

YouTube - Lou Reed - All Through the Night

Sometimes musicians will come up with ways to make "advanced music theory" accessible anyway. Unusual time signatures are one basic aspect of innovation in music ( if not "music theory" ) and a song like "Take Five" by Brubeck made one such signature variation catchy, nevertheless.
YouTube - The Dave Brubeck Quartet - Take Five (1961)

I can enjoy "out there" Jazz at times. Cecil Taylor is considered pretty far out even by free jazz standards, and I can enjoy him in varying doses ( sometimes small ones, I admit, depending on my mood ) at times. Why Cecil and not Coltrane's "Ascension" ? I'm not sure. Maybe the horn is a more raucous instrument than a piano ( played via keyboard ) or due to some other factor.

YouTube - Cecil Taylor

I'm not sure how one would categorize the music of Keith Jarrett, but it certainly goes well beyond the level of so-called "smooth jazz". Another great player I must be in the right mood for.

YouTube - Keith Jarrett - The Köln Concert (Part 1) January 24, 1975

Kingfisher

full of love
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
But some of them realize that it is not not very approachable and either use the new music theory accordingly, to bring them in regardless, in a way not done before, or..... they do not realize ( or care ) about this.
i agree.
i also think some musicians reach a level of technical mastery and are constantly surrounded by other excellent musicians, and they may simply forget how different their level of music appreciation is from the "ordinary" listener. but i don't think a very large number of musicians are like this.

It doesn't change my opinion about how "catchy" such music is, however. The video you provided of Ornette is indeed more accessible than the one you provided of Coltrane, but I didn't enjoy either one very much. Still, this may be a deficit in me, rather than the music, as I indicated in the post re: Stravinsky.

i don't think it's a defeicit, just differing tastes. i think some people just find structure in music more or less neccesary and appealing.
i agree that music like that is not catchy, just like The Rite of Spring is not catchy like Bolero is, or like Mendelssohn's Hebrides Overture.

ed111

MBTI Type
INTJ
This guy seems to be quite talented...
[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JRKnO83P_E"]James Morrison trombone v trumpet[/YOUTUBE]

ed111

MBTI Type
INTJ
Another of my personal favourites[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aePPKGxqOf8"]Brecker Brothers Some Skunk Funk[/YOUTUBE]

The Outsider

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
This is unbelievably beautiful.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4PKzz81m5c"]Chet Baker - Almost Blue[/YOUTUBE]

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
how do you feel about Art Blakey? he's a drum powerhouse! and a great bandleader.

I love him! I think 'freight train' when I hear him. He was such a master of the intense and driving, yet restrained groove. Only someone of a confident and cool temperament can do that shit. And his time? Don't even get me started!

Kingfisher

full of love
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
haha, nebbykoo - i am glad you appreciate the Blakey! :nice:
he is one of my favorite drummers, for sure!
it seems like sometimes he gets slighted by some of the "serious" jazz fans that i know. but what do they know?

BLAKEY!:
363870944_l.jpg

ilikeitlikethat

You're unbelievable ...
MBTI Type
xNTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This song has great social and political import.

R

Riva

I'm not a Jazz fan. Never has been and I never learned how to like Jazz.

Infact I've told myself and many others that I might never learn how to like Jazz or Poetry.

Then I watched Cowboy Bebop and ..... well I'm still not a Jazz fan but I do like all the Jazz songs tunes played in that anime.

Cowboy Bebop not only set animes (and cartoons) a new hurdle to jump it also set hurdles for Jazz to jump.

Hmmm... I wonder whether someday I would learn how to like poetry? Then again from the way I see it, it is too personal and less relatable for my taste.

Here are some of the tunes from that series, the ones I especially like.

Ps - The OP says it enjoys the style Bebop. Now I know how Cowboy Bebop came up with the Bebop part of its title.