• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Which was the best time for music?

Which was the best time for music?

• before 1910

Votes: 5 10.6%
  • 10s

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 20s

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • 30s

• 40s

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 50s

• 60s

Votes: 9 19.1%
  • 70s

Votes: 12 25.5%
  • 80s

Votes: 10 21.3%
  • 90s

Votes: 5 10.6%
  • 00s

• today

Votes: 2 4.3%

• Total voters

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
aren't we still in the 00's? so what is meant by today?

hmm I liked the 90s of course that's because I grew up then, so i might be bias.but i don't know.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
People don't really remember a lot from it, but the '20s (in my opinion) were the absolute best time for music (shortly followed by the folk movements in the '60s)

It's the Twenties and there's Prohibition. You take a taxi into the booming New York City late on a Friday night. You walk into the slums and hear the faint rhythyms of music. As you draw closer, you find it a bustling square centered around a lit night club. You take a step into the smokey air. How beautiful and fresh the birth of Jazz and Blues soothes your eardrums, I cannot tell.

So, the birth of Jazz in the '20s, and the Folk movements in the '60s. Not the Beatles crap, but the Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, Joni Mitchell, Bob Dylan, Arlo Guthrie, and the Simon and Garfunkel..can't beat it!!

FC3S

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
People don't really remember a lot from it, but the '20s (in my opinion) were the absolute best time for music (shortly followed by the folk movements in the '60s)
Charlie and the Kings of Swing! Here come's Charlie noooowww~

[Edit] I'm partial to the era of the mid-eighties to ninety-two. New wave music came in... and rap was actually good.

Scarfism

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
8w9
My favourite is 60s, 70s, and 80s. If I had to choose one to listen to for the rest of my life, I would choose 80s. :)

lowtech redneck

MBTI Type
INTP
Eighties metal/hard rock. The Broadway musicals were also pretty good (I have bizarre tastes, I know).

Last edited:

heart

heart on fire
Yes, Peguy, you're correct. I was thinking mostly of Vivaldi and Albinoni in the 1700s as the best music of the period.

heart

heart on fire
I am not that fond of Handel, Bach is okay but just doesn't strike the same chord within me as Vivaldi or Albinoni.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I have a very hard time comparing the music of the past 100 years to the music before then. For that matter, I have a hard time comparing the music of the past 50 years to the music in the 50 years before that. So, I dunno.
My favorite recent-ish decade, music-wise, at the moment, is the seventies, because of the progressive rock, punk rock and hard rock. But it's hard to decide on one particular time that was the BEST.
Unrelated twentieth century music I like: Messiaen. OMG, "Dieu Parmi Nous" is fantastic.

I am not that fond of Handel, Bach is okay but just doesn't strike the same chord within me as Vivaldi or Albinoni.
Excellent pun :) I really like Bach, if mostly for the technical aspects. (His fugues (sp?) are amazing.)