• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

VH1's Greatest Hip-Hop Songs

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
Those VH-1 lists are always lame--they always tend to weight in favor of who's popular right this minute, when they're supposed to be "of all time." I noticed that with the rock lists, too.

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
Those VH-1 lists are always lame--they always tend to weight in favor of who's popular right this minute, when they're supposed to be "of all time." I noticed that with the rock lists, too.

Yup.

They should have stuck with Pop Up Video. At least that wasn't made of F4IL. Every time I bother to watch one of their countdown specials I end up arguing with the t.v.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ

I think they actually did a pretty good job of avoiding putting too much new stuff on there (the majority is from 1986-1994), I just have a problem with what they DID pick.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Ugh, "Hot in Herre" at #30? I could see "Country Grammar" or "Ride Wit Me" making 80-100, but that song isn't even that great, and it's ahead of songs a hundred times better.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Agreed. that list is bullshit. Heavy D. and PM Dawn? really????

I LOVE that PM Dawn album. But I don't think it's hip hop. I don't know what it is, except cool.

Well, considering that "In da Club" is higher than even B.O.B., I can't hold too much hope for the sensibleness of the list.

TOTALLY. "B.O.B." is my favorite Outkast song.

And 99 Problems is a WAY better song than Hard Knock Life...

By far.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
I LOVE that PM Dawn album. But I don't think it's hip hop. I don't know what it is, except cool.

It's an R&B/hip-hop crossover, but it certainly counts. If "U Can't Touch This" is on the list, then PM Dawn should be. They actually had a couple of other good songs, too. Remember "Downtown Venus" from '95? I fucking love that song.

YouTube - Downtown Venus P.M.Dawn

Deep Purple sample, positivity, mid-'80s Prince psychedelia vibe. Should have been a much bigger hit.

I think I'd lean toward "ATLiens," but "B.O.B." was bonkers. Stankonia, Marshall Mathers LP, and Common's Like Water for Chocolate made 2000 one of the best hip-hop years of my conscious life.

Great track, but not his best, IMHO. Best rock/rap crossover for Jigga (and just about anyone), though.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Great track, but not his best, IMHO. Best rock/rap crossover for Jigga (and just about anyone), though.

I would nominate "Sabotage" for that, with the caveat that some might call it straight-up rock and I can't mount a compelling argument against that.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
I would nominate "Sabotage" for that, with the caveat that some might call it straight-up rock and I can't mount a compelling argument against that.

I love that song, but the Beasties had several better tunes, so it's never the first I spin. I just put "High Plains Drifter" on a mix CD. THAT is badass.

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I think I'd lean toward "ATLiens," but "B.O.B." was bonkers. Stankonia, Marshall Mathers LP, and Common's Like Water for Chocolate made 2000 one of the best hip-hop years of my conscious life.

94-95 was my golden era (after the 80s in general). 94-95 had Raekwon, Lost Boyz, 2Pac, Jurassic 5, ODB, LL Cool J, Mobb Deep, Das Efx, Keith Murray, The Alkaholics, Outkast, Jay Z, O.C, Jeru, Tribe, The Roots etc... people really brought it that year, imo.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
94-95 was my golden era (after the 80s in general). 94-95 had Raekwon, Lost Boyz, 2Pac, Jurassic 5, ODB, LL Cool J, Mobb Deep, Das Efx, Keith Murray, The Alkaholics, Outkast, Jay Z, O.C, Jeru, Tribe, The Roots etc... people really brought it that year, imo.

Your timeline is a little off, though. Jurassic 5's debut EP didn't come out until '97, Reasonable Doubt didn't come out until '96, Tribe didn't put out an album in 1994-95, Lost Boyz' debut came out in '96 (but they had a single or two in '95).

jenocyde

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Your timeline is a little off, though. Jurassic 5's debut EP didn't come out until '97, Reasonable Doubt didn't come out until '96, Tribe didn't put out an album in 1994-95, Lost Boyz' debut came out in '96 (but they had a single or two in '95).

My timeline is not off. This list is about tracks, right? These were the tracks that were playing at house parties across Brooklyn and Queens, as far as I can remember:

Jurassic 5 "Unified Rebellion" 1995
Jay Z "I Can't Get Wid that" 1995
Tribe Called Quest "Glamour and Glitz" 1995
Tribe Called Quest f. Busta Rhymes "One Two Shit" 1994
Tribe Called Quest f. No Naim "Oh My God (remix)" 1994
Lost Boys "Lex Coups, Bimaz & Benz" 1995
Lost Boys "Lifestyles Of The Rich & Shameless" 1995

(Tribe released Midnight Marauders at the end of 1993, but Oh My God single wasn't released until 1994).

Rajah

Reigning Bologna Princess
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Me too, actually. I heart Outkast. I just disagree B.O.B. has reached an iconic level warranting such a high placement on the list...

I was giving this some more thought. I don't know why I feel compelled to spend time thinking about these things, but anyway... 99 Problems should have been the Jay-Z pick. Especially because he is quite influential, and that song supposedly signaled his departure from recording. Not to mention, subjectively (and objectively, dammit), that song is kickass in every way.

And I'd go with Sabotage for Beastie Boys. Or even Hey, Ladies. Paul's Boutique was an excellent album.

jenocyde

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Me too, actually. I heart Outkast. I just disagree B.O.B. has reached an iconic level warranting such a high placement on the list...

+1

I liked Stankonia, but not as much as their previous 3 albums.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
I never agree with VH1 lists, and those stupid shows they do to showcase their bad lists are even lamer. They had one for the "worst songs of all time" and they interview some hairdresser about how "Sussudio" by Phil Collins doesn't make any sense. :wtf:

jenocyde

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
99 Problems should have been the Jay-Z pick. Especially because he is quite influential, and that song supposedly signaled his departure from recording. Not to mention, subjectively (and objectively, dammit), that song is kickass in every way.

And I'd go with Sabotage for Beastie Boys. Or even Hey, Ladies. Paul's Boutique was an excellent album.

my choices:

Jay Z - Can't knock the hustle, Hard knock life or D'evils
Beastie Boys - Rhymin' and stealin, Slow and low or Paul Revere

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Who is dawn and why are we all supposed to PM her?

Surely she can discuss this matter in the open.