• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

DMB - Big Whiskey and the GrooGrux King

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Big Whiskey and the GrooGrux King - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There's probably a fair amount of DMB haters, here (and everywhere) but Rollingstone is saying their latest release is their best yet. It seems to be getting pretty solid reviews from numerous sources. I will probably order it, but want to know how it sounds to those who have heard it. Does it much resemble their previous work or have they charted new territory with this one?

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Big Whiskey and the GrooGrux King - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There's probably a fair amount of DMB haters, here (and everywhere) but Rollingstone is saying their latest release is their best yet. It seems to be getting pretty solid reviews from numerous sources. I will probably order it, but want to know how it sounds to those who have heard it. Does it much resemble their previous work or have they charted new territory with this one?

Sister is a huge fan, I used to be and still play some older albums from time to time. She and my two cousins go to the Hartford Meadows each summer for the weekend for both live shows, and that was this weekend actually. I listened to the new album and while I liked a good portion of the musical arrangements I found I couldn't really get into his lyrics on the first play. He does a lot of alteration on his vocal sound that I found unnerving, but they do fit each song. While nothing jumped out at me and I don't think I'll find another "Dave Classic" in there [personally, can't beat Proudest Monkey, Two Step, #41, Don't Drink the Water, Lie in our Graves, Tripping Billies, Warehouse in my book] I think if I spend more time with it I'll be able to find some songs to add to my Dave playlist.

It does have a more recent feel to the music but there are some songs in there where they could jam for a good 10 minutes, so gives the album a classic sort of feel. A good mix I think, I think every Dave fan will find something to like.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Cool. I do find it hard to believe that they can release something that surpasses "Under The Table And Dreaming", but I'll just have to hear it.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Cool. I do find it hard to believe that they can release something that surpasses "Under The Table And Dreaming", but I'll just have to hear it.

You know, I always hear fans say they loved that album, but for me I'll always just go with Crash+Before These Crowded Streets as the pinnacle of Dave greatness.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Good albums, no doubt, but the rawness of "UTTAD" is the appeal for me. I love the production on that album.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I picked up the album. They're selling it at the exchange here. -- God damn, I've always loved Carter Beauford's drumming like no one else's. Definitely confirms it on this album.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Love Carter! His stand out songs in my mind are Tripping Billies and Drive In Drive Out.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
^Have you seen his studio lesson video, playing "Tripping Billies"? Love that video. It's on youtube. I've always loved the way he plays his hi-hat. It's rarely a solid rhythm, he's always doing crazy syncopated stuff and accentuations.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I wish there were more rocking songs on this album like "shake me like a monkey". Really solid track.