• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Compulsive Repetition

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Do any of you repeat a song you like 10 times in a row or something like that? Or watch a movie you like about 20 times (not in a row, of course)?

I tend to do stuff like that, I was just curious if others are like that as well.

If so, under what circumstances, with what medium, what, and why?
:D

(Oh yes, and after reading nightning's post, I realize I do this with books as well, though less frequently. I remember something better if I read it than if I watch it. It might have something to do with Si being stronger than Se with me...)

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Repeatedly playing a song over and over - I do that frequently. Not exactly a stress related thing though. I just do it whenever. I tend tune out the music until it's just a soothing background white noise.

Re-reading a novel - Yes, if it's any good. It's like re-living the experience. Probably my lack of Si. I'll remember the general plot but it's pretty much a fresh read every time :D

Re-watching movie - Not really, once or twice if I'm watching it with somebody else but certainly not 20+ times

SolitaryPenguin

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
I am definitely that way with songs/albums. I used to be that way with movies, but they cost too much now to do it. I remember seeing the first Ninja Turtles movie 14 times in the movie theater. I never got bored of it.

Now, I pretty much find a few songs/albums that I like and they will stay on constant repeat on my iPod for a month or two (this month it's PJ Harvey and Fluke).

P

Phantonym

Do I ever. I can listen to one song for hours. I might not even notice the song playing but it could definitely last for hours. It's mostly the emotion I get from the song, that's what matters.

Movies - if I really like a movie, or certain scenes in it or the emotion I get from it, then yes, I'll watch it over and over again.

And don't even get me started about books...

Wade Wilson

MBTI Type
INTP
Just as an aside: at quick glance I thought this was titled repulsive competition, heh.

Anyway, on topic, yeah I've been listening to various albums by the same band for about a month now.

Then it gets to a point where I'm sick of listening to the same thing and won't listen to it for a year or so... while obsessing about some other artist/song.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Just as an aside: at quick glance I thought this was titled repulsive competition, heh.

Anyway, on topic, yeah I've been listening to various albums by the same band for about a month now.

Then it gets to a point where I'm sick of listening to the same thing and won't listen to it for a year or so... while obsessing about some other artist/song.

Oh yeahhhh!!! I'll do that too, totally! :)

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
When I find a new song I really really like, I'll listen to it a lot, repeat it of course. I don't do it with movies, I don't think, unless it's a really good movie, the ones I see in theaters. I don't know why I do it, I think I go through frequent and small phases.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Do any of you repeat a song you like 10 times in a row or something like that? Or watch a movie you like about 20 times (not in a row, of course)?

I tend to do stuff like that, I was just curious if others are like that as well.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.