• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Geoff goes to a medieval joust - fun picture.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
Hello all,

Thought you might like this - I found myself at a medieval joust unexpectedly when visiting a castle. A good opportunity to play with the camera!

Anyway check out this closeup. In particular the reflection in the breastplace (castle + man at arms "relancing" his knight)

Comments etc welcome as always :

-Geoff

1288421659_a325664442_b.jpg

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Neat. I'm not sure if cutting off the knight's head was a good idea (I keep expecting it to be there), though I do like the reflection. I think if the top of the image was cropped just so half of the horse's ears went off the image, it would feel even more solid and draw more attention to the breastplate.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
Yes, there is a wider shot with the head in it too, which is quite neat, but I was trying to drawn an attention to this finer detail. I might post the full shot too!

-Geoff

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
Ok, here's the picture without the crop and sepia

1288575845_87cd6c7dc7_b.jpg

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I wonder if the fabrics are true to period and if so, I would like to see them close up and touch them.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
I wonder if the fabrics are true to period and if so, I would like to see them close up and touch them.

It was a pretty good event.. lots of knights charging around knocking each other about with lances and organised by English Heritage. They claimed it was all authentic (but they would?)

-Geoff

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
It was a pretty good event.. lots of knights charging around knocking each other about with lances and organised by English Heritage. They claimed it was all authentic (but they would?)

-Geoff
What I can see of the shirt sleeve does not look mass produced.

My group uses foam-padded weapons and only fight on foot.

Recoleta

No me digas, che!
MBTI Type
ISXJ
Very nice pics! I really like both, although I will say that the first looks more authentic to the period. In the second you can see the people in the background wearing colorful tee-shirts and shorts (which, while fun, is not quite representative to medeival times). What kind of camera do you use BTW?, because the focus and clarity of the picture is awesome!

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
Very nice pics! I really like both, although I will say that the first looks more authentic to the period. In the second you can see the people in the background wearing colorful tee-shirts and shorts (which, while fun, is not quite representative to medeival times). What kind of camera do you use BTW?, because the focus and clarity of the picture is awesome!

Exactly, that is why the crop and the sepia, it takes out the modern background (which I can't easily get rid off with photoshopping.. it just looks too unnatural :( )

The camera is a Canon Digital-SLR EOS300D (also known as Digital Rebel). The lens is a Canon 70-210 that is no longer made. The sharpness is near L glass quality and can be found on Ebay (like I did this one) for about $100. Only weakness is occasional purple fringing (as can be seen around the horse's eyesockets.

-Geoff

Sahara

MBTI Type
INFP
I think the top one is the best, it evokes images in my head of the knight coming towards me, almost as if it doesn;t stand still but is right up either in my face, or I am at the side watching the knights go off to war.

Will you carry my token into battle with you good sir? lol

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I can see why you cropped it. I think if you photoshopped the background of the second image and cropped a little off the right side (so the knight isn't dead center) and put it in sepia it would look really excellent.

Shame I wasn't there. I love those kinds of medieval things. =)