• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

DS Lite or PSP

tenINsFJ

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w9
I've been looking at purchasing one of these for the past few weeks.. err maybe a month or two. The DS Lite is originally $129, but I've seen it brand new online for $99 at a reputable place. The PSP is priced the same at $134. So price isn't an issue at all. I'm leaning towards the PSP since it seems more adult like, and I'm into the shooter type of games. But I also like the DS lite mario games(who doesn't??). I'm pretty torn between the two.

Anyone own any of these and what do you like about it, or what do you not like about it? Any input would be awesome.

Engler

MBTI Type
Enneagram
N/A
Seeing as how there is only a $35 difference between the two, paired with the fact that the PSP is capable of managing various forms of media much more efficiently than the DS, I would personally purchase the PSP.

Furthermore, I believe that there are PSP emulators that permit you to play a variety of Mario games.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
DS > PSP in my experience.

The media advantage might be relevant to you, although it wasn't for me. Also, if you don't have any moral qualms, you can get the R4 for the DS lite and have... well... a lot of games. In that sense, the R4 is a bit easier than the PSP hacks.

Verfremdungseffekt

videodrones; questions
MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w4
It's getting so there is a handful of games worth playing on the PSP, so it's not like it's a complete doorstop. But speaking broadly, the DS is where just about every significant handheld game has landed over the past five years. Plus it accepts GBA games.

If you're more technically oriented, of course, you can load all manner of strange things on a PSP. Emulators, for instance.

So. If you want to dink around with an interesting (if wonky) piece of electronics, or if there are two or three specific games that fascinate you, go with the PSP. Phantasy Star Portable looks pretty good.

Otherwise, the DS is kind of the default.

Jeremy

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Pokemon will entertain you for hours upon hours.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
I have both. The PSP is very cool when it has good games, but I end up using my DS far more. Also to use the extra PSP features fully you'll probably end up buying extra software and/or accessories. I haven't tried using any of the hacks with it though, so I'm not sure what that is like. (I'm kinda against hacks anyway, since I think that is why there are so few games on the PSP.)

kiddykat

movin melodies
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4, 7
I like PSPs more- the layout is simple, buttons are nice- beautiful design.. I know that at mom/pop shops they sell it in various colors imported from the Japan. The colors are really pretty- really great selection.

On top of that, PSP is slightly more versatile. If you like NES games, it is possible to play them on the PSP.. If I had the money, I'd splurge on PSP..

Have you ever thought about buying a netbook? They're super small and can function as a video game console, surf the web (using actual keypads), listen to your fav songs, watch movies..

I'd definitely look into a netbook, maybe? They're so tiny, and I think would be cool also.

My unprofessional techy advice. Good luck!

tenINsFJ

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w9
Thanks for all of your input. I went with the PSP 3000. Got it for $102.96! I only have one game right now, slowly working through it when I have time and WOW! I absolutely love this PSP! Graphics are amazing! It's like a better PS2 in your hands. Cutscenes leave me speechless. Gotta go try out a movie soon on it!